Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Values ——
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sixaddict
The following is quote from recent Hagerty emailing.
“The collector car market climbed steeply for two years, but may have reached cruising altitude. Data from our various indexes, which track specific vehicle segments, indicate rationality is returning. If you watched recent Mecun auction you’d never know it.
Kind of like real estate in my neighborhood…….market cooled, sellers just don’t know it yet ( or acknowledge it with prices). Probably accurate from watching things hang around longer.
There’s more extensive information in the article this was just the tease.
For what it’s worth.
emerygt350
Panorama has a nice bit on 914 valuations this month.
sixaddict
Will have to check it out…..didn’t see it on quick scan obviously not too observant.
Lockwodo
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 28 2023, 06:44 AM) *

Panorama has a nice bit on 914 valuations this month.

Panorama magazine seems to be members only. Can you post the article or the grist of it? Thanks!
emerygt350
Click to view attachment
emerygt350
Tried fixing that pic but no luck.
emerygt350
Click to view attachment
GregAmy
Anyone who's interested in paying $55k for my '74 2L, please PM me. I can leave tomorrow morning to deliver it to you at no charge.
Michael N
I was surprised that Panorama actually created a separate tracking for the Limited Edition cars. First time in a pricing guide that I saw them actually tracked separately. Bravo Panorama!
TonyA
Yep it makes sense to group the LE separately just like the 914-6
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(TonyA @ Jan 29 2023, 06:31 PM) *

Yep it makes sense to group the LE separately just like the 914-6

‘Bout time I say. biggrin.gif
Chris914n6
Doesn't directly apply to 914s but I saw some things when I was doing a valuation for Dad's TR4. Lots of restored cars listed for big bucks but not selling and/or being paid for. Sold cars were mostly good drivers for $8-15k. Unfortunately the cost of doing even a DD resto put it over that.

914s have plenty of real world advantages over a 60s British roadster, but I think it's a glimpse of the future...

1 Everyone that did well in the stock market cashed out and bought something already.
2 The group of enthusiasts of cars this old is getting smaller, as in, aging out - too old to drive, other priorities, dying, yada.
3 Younger drivers are sold on the features of newer stuff. $30k buys a nice modern car with A/C, paddle shift, airbags, etc.
4 Current and short term (hopefully) financial market situation.
5 Cars are getting too expensive to restore to justify it. Mainly because of the labor market.

There will always be collectors and builders, but I think the classic car boom is ending with the Boomers.
Steve
There was a mint 74 2.0 at Cars & Coffee yesterday. He wanted $30k for it. Some people said it’s $10k under valued…?? Last week there was a clean not mint 73 for $34k. We all know those are asking prices.
rjames
There will always be collectors and builders, but I think the classic car boom is ending with the Boomers.

I tend to believe this, too.
wonkipop
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 29 2023, 10:24 PM) *

Doesn't directly apply to 914s but I saw some things when I was doing a valuation for Dad's TR4. Lots of restored cars listed for big bucks but not selling and/or being paid for. Sold cars were mostly good drivers for $8-15k. Unfortunately the cost of doing even a DD resto put it over that.

914s have plenty of real world advantages over a 60s British roadster, but I think it's a glimpse of the future...

1 Everyone that did well in the stock market cashed out and bought something already.
2 The group of enthusiasts of cars this old is getting smaller, as in, aging out - too old to drive, other priorities, dying, yada.
3 Younger drivers are sold on the features of newer stuff. $30k buys a nice modern car with A/C, paddle shift, airbags, etc.
5 Cars are getting too expensive to restore to justify it. Mainly because of the labor market.

agree.gif

drive them while you can.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 28 2023, 06:26 AM) *

The following is quote from recent Hagerty emailing.
“The collector car market climbed steeply for two years, but may have reached cruising altitude. Data from our various indexes, which track specific vehicle segments, indicate rationality is returning. If you watched recent Mecun auction you’d never know it.
Kind of like real estate in my neighborhood…….market cooled, sellers just don’t know it yet ( or acknowledge it with prices). Probably accurate from watching things hang around longer.
There’s more extensive information in the article this was just the tease.
For what it’s worth.

I'm seeing this all over Porscheland, everyone is telling me the high prices from several years ago, but these prices don't reflect today's reality. I recently had this happen with a family who was selling their dad's car. They said, "Daddy said it was worth XXX"
I showed them 4 other cars, same model, I had bought in the last 18 months and what they sold for. We were able to come to terms that worked for everyone, but often people hold out for a price they saw on BAT or one they heard about, only to still have their car months later. One of the benefits of being really in tune with the market is you can capitalize on an upward trend because you see it before others do, but the downside is you then have to watch the early, middle, and end of a downward trend, long before anyone knows it's there.
rhodyguy
The Barrett/Jackson auction is insanity. 800k+ cars seems like a dime a dozen. 1M is not out of line. Used cars…everyone needs a black 6x6 Range Rover sporting yellow ASBs.
Bullethead
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 30 2023, 03:04 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 29 2023, 10:24 PM) *

agree.gif

drive them while you can.

agree.gif Ditto. Sooner or later we'll all be gone and someone else will have them.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jan 29 2023, 08:24 PM) *

I'm seeing lots of interest in Porsche from young guys, they tend to buy cars on the rougher side, guys with more ambition than money. I routinely push these guys toward the 914. I tell them they can spend $20,000-25,000 on the worst 356 on the planet or spend the same amount on a 914 and have a lot of fun instantly. Many have taken my advice. But as these same guys make more money they are coming back to buy pricier cars, guys in their 40's and 50's, so not boomers. I don't think we will see another sky rocketing of prices like we saw around 2015, but we aren't going to see any big drops either, I'm seeing more of a leveling off on prices with some backtracks from record highs, but nothing too crazy.
Lockwodo
agree.gif

I bought my 914 from a millennial. Porsches like 356s, 911s and 914s will continue to have broad appeal. I have several 60's V8 cars and they plateaued some years back. But they sure are fun to drive and maintain.

As wonkipop said, "drive them while you can".
Big Len
I think back to the 2009 Star Trek movie where the opening has a young James Kirk steals his father's (?) C-2 Corvette and takes it out for a fast ride before crashing it off a cliff. Yes, it's fiction, but I think the innate attraction of speed, whether from steam, electricity, gasoline, or warp drive will always remain.
emerygt350
Both of my fun cars would be out of my league now if I tried to replace them. A gt350 fox just sold at mecum or Barrett (can't remember which) for almost 30x what I bought my (at the time) entirely original untouched mustang. Even a non running hell hole infested 73 2.0 sells for twice what I paid for mine and my car is solid (and runs great). I could probably sell both for about 15k each, and then what? Down grade?
Brian Fuerbach
QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Jan 28 2023, 02:11 PM) *

I bought in mid 2018 and looking at this chart, I couldn't have had better timing.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Jan 30 2023, 10:53 PM) *

I bought in mid 2018 and looking at this chart, I couldn't have had better timing.

Ditto. I tell my wife "see how smart I am??" but she ain't buyin' it...
PlantMan
I remember back on the early late 80'/90's you could find a real six for under 10k, 912's for 7k, early 911's for 10k all of which were nice cars then.
Jeez, I remember looking at really nice 911sc back on 2008 for 18k.
My son has been sending me 944's for sale for under 10k...Hmmm.
Mikey914
Sold my 951 for 6k it was in pretty good shape with all maintenance done (yes even clutch). Can’t touch a comparable one for less than 25k
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Jan 31 2023, 06:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Brian Fuerbach @ Jan 30 2023, 10:53 PM) *

Ditto. I tell my wife "see how smart I am??" but she ain't buyin' it...

A friend of mine does the opposite. His wife keeps telling him he should sell his Speedster so they can buy an RV and travel. He says, "The Speedster, I paid $500 for it. What are we going to do with $500?"

It's all about perspective.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.