Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine drop question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rrrockhound
Is it safe to take out the engine with the car on a lift or will it (the car) be too front heavy and unstable when the engine is out?
BeatNavy
Can't speak to your specific setup, or how you lift your car, but I remove the engine on mine using my scissor lift all the time. No issues. If you're putting a lot of torque on the front with the engine out, you can run something like a ratchet strap across through the door gaps/sills for insurance, I suppose.
NARP74
Talking about on a two post I assume?
Rrrockhound
QUOTE(NARP74 @ Jan 28 2023, 12:40 PM) *

Talking about on a two post I assume?

Correct. Years ago I did it on jack stands but this is my first time doing it with the lift.
NARP74
If the gas tank is full and the spread on the arms is narrow, you might have an issue if like BeatNavy said you are really torqueing on something. Some will put a post of some kind up front just in case..
ClayPerrine
I have had a 2 post lift for years, and I have NEVER had an issue with pulling an engine on a 914. In fact, it makes it easier. I just unhook everything but the engine mounts, lower it down and set the engine/transmission on jackstands. Then I unbold the motor mounts and lift the car off the engine.

Cairo94507
You could always place a jack under the nose or strap the rear of the car down if you are concerned- never hurts to be extra careful with cars on lifts. beerchug.gif
mepstein
No issue on two post but I still use a deadman (like Cairo suggested) under the front so it’s not tippy. It can be made of 2x4. It’s just there to steady the car, not hold it up. Even a stack of milk crates will work. Just don’t forget it and lower the car or you will have problems.
Rrrockhound
Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm just trying to avoid one of these:

Corvette falls off lift
wonkipop
QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Jan 28 2023, 03:35 PM) *

Corvette falls off lift

blink.gif

at least no one was under it.

------
i do get nervous with my front wheel drive front engined renault on the two pole.
i do the @mepstein 4x2 trick.
930cabman
QUOTE(Rrrockhound @ Jan 28 2023, 04:35 PM) *

Corvette falls off lift

Avoid at all cost, that's messy. So long as no one was hurt

I use my scissors often and have built a rolling "test stand" for firing the engine/trans prior to installing and rolling the assembly around the shop.
mlindner
When I install my six on a scissor lift I added six bags of 60 lb. to the front trunk because it was cantilevered to much to the rear. Work fine.
mepstein
We do lots of 911 engine drops and installs on a two post lift. A couple a week. Never an issue. Lifts are safe as long as you understand the basics. If you don’t, just get someone experienced to give you training. I trust lifts. I hate jack stands.
GregAmy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 28 2023, 02:35 PM) *

I have had a 2 post lift for years, and I have NEVER had an issue with pulling an engine on a 914.

Ditto. I use the stock four jack points and no issues with numerous engine drops onto my toolbox. - GA
Click to view attachment
Type 47
Just installed engine today using the Tangerine Racing jack plate. I highly recommend using it. I was skeptical about the cost but after using it I would highly recommend using it.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 28 2023, 07:00 PM) *
Lifts are safe as long as you understand the basics.

Clearly, the corvette guy didn’t av-943.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 28 2023, 11:02 PM) *

they were in the corvette mode.
dynamically unstable. beer.gif
930cabman
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Jan 29 2023, 03:17 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Jan 28 2023, 11:02 PM) *

they were in the corvette mode.
dynamically unstable. beer.gif

+1 aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.