Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine install in less than 2 hours
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
2 hours includes: walking into garage, moving around carts and tool boxes, moving the engine from the bench/start set up, lowering the lift and pushing the car off, raising lift, pushing the car back in the garage. Next, putting the car on jackstands. Then pushing the engine under the car and jacking it up/bolting it in. Next, pushing the car out of the garage, lowering the lift, and pushing the car back on the lift. Raising the lift, admiring our work, taking some pics and finally washing up. 2 hours start to finish.

Installing the engine was about 40 minutes.

I wasn't thrilled with ponying up $150 for a plate that bolts to my jack to help jack the engine/trannie back in the car. I've done it several times teetering the whole thing on the floor jack back in my yuuut...(youth) with no issues (don't know what my BP or heart rate was back then).

So, you have to be careful when moving the engine/trannie around when on the jack/plate but when you get to the install point. OMG, it lifts the package straight up and in minutes you're bolting the mount bar and trannie mounts in.

Boom, it's in, take it off the jackstands.

Since, our plan is to get the car back together, running, and trouble shoot issues, we put the original engine back in. we will be building a 2056 (that's the plan) so we will be taking the engine out soon and putting the new engine back in, the Tangerine Racing jack plate was a very good purchase. I couldn't really appreciate how good it is untill I had used it.

BP and heart rate was normal during the whole operation. At least for me, I think my son was sweeting his ass off. He did all the work while I provided expertise.
Click to view attachmentn
r_towle
I love the fact that Tangerine Racing products lower BP.

Awesome news!

Now, go plug in 400 more items!
Unobtanium-inc
Anytime I hear of fast engine work, I think of this guy, always impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQhfcdQf1QA
mepstein
The tangerine lift plate is one of those tools that’s worth having if you have a T4 engine. Sure you can do it without the plate but I’ve never heard of anyone regretting the purchase and they only seem to come up for resale when someone gets rid of their 914.
r_towle
I honestly use a dolly for the motor, then lower the car down.
I can move the engine in different directions easily, then lean in and put the 4 bolts in place, jack it back up, place it on stands…or up on the lift for the rest.
Tried all the bike lift, jack lift etc and I personally prefer the dolly.
930cabman
Hats off to Chris piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
MM1
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 29 2023, 03:11 PM) *

I can move the engine in different directions easily, then lean in and put the 4 bolts in place, jack it back up, place it on stands…or up on the lift for the rest.

I have installed a four with jacks and installed a six with jacks-I would very much like to try the Tangerine adaptor. Definitely not OSHA approved and there have been a few pucker moments. . . not my preferred style.

Having said that, I’m curious about the dolly. Are you talking about a wooden furniture dolly like the ones at Harbor Freight?

What kind of spacers do you use and how thick are they to level the drivetrain on the dolly at or above its installation height so you can lower the car and bolt the drivetrain in?

Do you install using the dolly method with the exhaust on or off?

Pictures would be much appreciated.
914werke
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 29 2023, 09:26 AM) *
The tangerine lift plate is one of those tools that’s worth having if you have a T4 engine. Sure you can do it without the plate but I’ve never heard of anyone regretting the purchase and they only seem to come up for resale when someone gets rid of their 914.

agree.gif Ive used my old unit more times than I can count. The only rub is that floor jack design has moved on & when I had to replace a jack I had to get creative.
I understand Chris has also updated the its attachment on new plates.
ndfrigi
QUOTE(MM1 @ Jan 30 2023, 08:32 AM) *

I have installed a four with jacks and installed a six with jacks-I would very much like to try the Tangerine adaptor. Definitely not OSHA approved and there have been a few pucker moments. . . not my preferred style.

Having said that, I’m curious about the dolly. Are you talking about a wooden furniture dolly like the ones at Harbor Freight?

What kind of spacers do you use and how thick are they to level the drivetrain on the dolly at or above its installation height so you can lower the car and bolt the drivetrain in?

Same here I used furniture dolly. Raise the rear of the 914 with 2 floor jack then push the engine on a dolly underneath then lower carefully the car until you can bolts the engine mount bar and transmission. Just be careful with your rotor that can touch the floor.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
QUOTE(MM1 @ Jan 30 2023, 11:32 AM) *

Like the picture above.
I prefer to install the muffler after the engine is in the car.
Easier access to the two tranny bolts to install.

It’s a normal 2*3 dolly from HF.
Motor is roughly level
Held up on the front bar resting on the dolly, rear is on random 2*4 stacked up till motor is level.
I prefer this method because I’m typically alone, and there is never a moment of anxiety.
Just lower the car till the bar reaches the mounts.
If it does not go low enough, pull the motor back out and add more wood underneath.

You can easily move the engine in any direction required.
You will need two tall jacks to get it up high enough to get in there…

Rich
Geezer914
I prefer the furniture dolly method. Balancing the motor and trans on a floor jack up in the air makes me nervous.
jfort
I use the six version. Fits like a glove. The hard part is have a floor jack the has a hole for it. Good old one do. An expensive NAPA one does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.