Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HI NEW AND ALMOST DONE WITH MY 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kilo123
hi people. i got my 914 a year ago and worked on it for a year. it is almost done. just need the some rust repair and a new paint job.

i have a question regarding the rust. the frame under the battery has a hole but repaired it with a new piece of metal covering it. would it effect the value of the car?

thx
Mueller
welcome.....

depends on how well the repair was done and if the area "below" the hole was fixed if it needed it....good chance it was not and it's a repair waiting to happen.....also depends on the buyer....some people just look at the top area near the battery and don't realize that the worst damage is where one cannot see.....

if properly repaired, the car should have more value than a car not fixed.....
JoeSharp
Welcome to the insanity. I think it is safe to say that a car that has been repaired is worth more than that has not.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
SirAndy
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 10 2005, 06:19 PM)
if properly repaired, the car should have more value than a car not fixed.....

agree.gif just patching the hole is not good, in the long run, if done right and the inside was treated for rust as well before patching the hole, you're good.

a lot of these cars have rust problems in that exact spot and a correct repair should not affect the value of the car ...
wink.gif Andy

PS: oh, and welcome to the club! smilie_pokal.gif
Gustl
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif woooohooooo - it's the first time that I'm the first with that wink.gif biggrin.gif

and now: wavey.gif welcome from far far away wavey.gif
kilo123
hi

i sprayed in a good layer of primer and some wd40 into the frame and patched it.

i dont knoe why i cant upload a pic. of the damage?
tdgray
QUOTE (kilo123 @ Aug 12 2005, 11:04 AM)
hi

i sprayed in a good layer of primer and some wd40 into the frame and patched it.

Not bashing but...

That is no where near a suitable repair. All rusted surfaces should be treated with rust prevention materials AND THEN repaired.

When I was repairing the longs on mine I treated everything with Ospho, then sealed it and THEN primed it. Primer will not prevent rust... only slow it down.

WD-40 is a lubricant not a proper rust inhibitor.

OH yea...Welcome to the Club.

SirAndy
QUOTE (tdgray @ Aug 12 2005, 08:24 AM)

agree.gif see, the thing is, if you had a hole in the top of the long, the rust has already marched on inside.
putting primer and WD40 on top of rust doesn't help much ... icon8.gif

ospho (i like Metal-Ready) would be the first thing to spray in, then seal with something like POR-15 ...

smash.gif Andy
Dman
Welcome! It is obvious you have the disease, you state, "it is almost done. just need the some rust repair and a new paint job."
That could take years. biggrin.gif

Our next statement will probably be "while you are in there" !
smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif beer3.gif blink.gif sawzall-smiley.gif beer.gif beer.gif
And of course thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (tdgray @ Aug 12 2005, 11:24 AM)

it's not even much of a lubricant.

it is a Water Dispersant. that's what it was made to do, and that's all it claims, despite a significant urban folklore following.

among the other things it's not: penetrating oil. KROIL, PB Blaster, and Corrosion Block are all FAR better penetrating oils.

Boeshield B9 and LPS-3 are decent rust inhibitors, and Corrosion Block is excellent -- as temporary coatings go.

none of them is an effective, permanent, proper rust repair.
kilo123
hi

its not done yet but where can i find these material to repair it properly. ill go check out the nearest kragon.

this is my first project car so im not too sure on how to tackle these rust problems.
tdgray
Check out these folks.

Eastwood Company
ArtechnikA
and these guys: POR-15. and of course these guys: Restoration Design.

Pelican (and probably others) sell the Restoration Design parts.
ClayPerrine
(Gratituous Kung Fu reference) Ahh Grasshopper.....when you can snatch the alloy wheel lug bolt from my hand..... lol2.gif

It's fairly obvious that you have not caught Dirk Wright's Disease yet. Your 914 is a carrier, and you will soon be infected. Then you will be looking thorugh catalogs for things like "mig welders" and buying POR15 by the caseload.

Welcome to the club.... We are glad you chose to join our insanity.

Oh, and a 914 can never be finished. You will always find something else to do to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.