Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speedometer Rebuild or Replacement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
I have a speedometer that reads about 10 mph too high (with tires near stock diameter), and with a broken odometer. I figure my options are:

1. Tear into it myself, hope the odo problem is the typical stripped gear, and try to reset the speedo needle correctly.

2. Send it off, and wait. What's the going rate these days for this work?

3. Buy a used replacement. What's the going rate for that?

I want one that looks nice, but not concours. And works.
ddc829
Just got mine back from Overseas Speedometer Repair. Repaired odo, cleaned, lubed, and calibrate. $165.00 + S&H. Haven't installed it yet but should be ok.
L-Jet914
From previous history on speedometer repair, it seems like Palo Alto Speedo Repair is the go to place. I had my speedometer repaired at a local speedometer repair shop near me. With 195/65R15 tires at freeways speeds, I am 10mph off. http://paspeedo.com/
PlantMan
If I remember correctly, most people in these parts use North Hollywood Speedometer.
Apparently really good with the German stuff.
L-Jet914
I think I remember hearing about North Hollywood speedo. Been a while since I looked up speedometer repair in the search section.
Cairo94507
I had Hartmut at Palo Alto Speedo do all of my gauges and they all came out like jewelry. I run a later 911 electric speedo (for the extra digit on the odometer) and it is GPS driven and dead accurate. beerchug.gif
FlacaProductions
North Hollywood did the recalibration on mine to read correct for non-OEM size tires. Nice work.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 31 2023, 06:47 AM) *

I had Hartmut at Palo Alto Speedo do all of my gauges and they all came out like jewelry. I run a later 911 electric speedo (for the extra digit on the odometer) and it is GPS driven and dead accurate. beerchug.gif

Another + for Palo Alto, they've done a number of gauges for me, can even calibrate to correct tire rotating diameter. Reminds me I need to send them my 914 speedo.
bkrantz
Thanks, guys. Can you share the cost you paid?
mepstein
I would send to John Bell / JBell959 on pelican. He posts here occasionally. Good guy and reasonably priced. The big gage companies have gotten a bit crazy on pricing.
bkrantz
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 31 2023, 10:27 PM) *

I would send to John Bell / JBell959 on pelican. He posts here occasionally. Good guy and reasonably priced. The big gage companies have gotten a bit crazy on pricing.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.