Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Museum in March
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BillJ
Does anyone know if the museum regularly shows interesting 914s like the 8 cylinder or GT cars? Headed in March and want to see if there are any tricks to getting some close ups of unique versions....
Jack Standz
When we were there the 914 with a flat 8 was on display. So was a 968 cab, a reproduced type 64, Walter Rohr's Audi Quatro winning rally car, a 917 motor in an exploded-display format and lots of other cool cars. Although that was 5 yrs ago.

A couple other things you can do while you're there are: rent a 911 GTS cab (or similar), take the top down and head out on the autobahn (they gave us free museum admission); you also can ask to take the factory tour (across the street from the museum), but you must do this in advance and there are English language tours available.
GregAmy
Yeah, Ferry's(?) orange 914-8 is on display, I have a photo of it around here somewhere...you can get within 2-3 feet of it but can't touch or open up.

GT1, too.

Factory tour is worth it, but as noted do need to reserve well in advance, it fills up.
GregAmy
BTW, also gotta hit VW's Autostadt museum in Wolfsburg. WELL worth the (autobahn) drive. Personally, not that Porsche's museum sucked, but I was more amazed at the Autostadt tour and museum versus Porsche's...
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Jan 31 2023, 06:53 AM) *

When we were there the 914 with a flat 8 was on display. So was a 968 cab, a reproduced type 64, Walter Rohr's Audi Quatro winning rally car, a 917 motor in an exploded-display format and lots of other cool cars. Although that was 5 yrs ago.

A couple other things you can do while you're there are: rent a 911 GTS cab (or similar), take the top down and head out on the autobahn (they gave us free museum admission); you also can ask to take the factory tour (across the street from the museum), but you must do this in advance and there are English language tours available.

I know there are many other threads on this topic but who did you rent the 911 through?
BillJ
I have tours of factory and museum already booked AND rented the 911 coupe for my birthday on March 11. I rented right from porsche. They offer it direct on the website
Al Meredith
While in Stuttgart you must see the Mercedes Museum . Two or Three times the size of of the Porsche Museum . PM me your address and I'll mail you a floor plan of the Porsche Museum. AL
akp2002
Both the Porsche and Mercedes's museums are so close you can do them both in one day! Really worth doing.

Click to view attachment

gereed75
I know this is a bit off topic but if you want to see a variety of air cooled motors 906, 908, 4 cam etc etc: the Revs Institute in Naples is the place. They have a bunch of engines on display and very accessible - like touchy assessable.

They also have an extensive library. Not been in it but it is an “ institute”!
Jack Standz
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 31 2023, 11:23 PM) *

I know there are many other threads on this topic but who did you rent the 911 through?

Rented ahead of visit via Porsche's website and picked up outside the door of the museum (they have staff at the museum to help you, but setup rental before you go& I think you need to bring insurance papers also?). Also, the Mercedes-Benz museum is so close, you really should stop there too.
BillJ
Sweet we will do the mercedes museum as well for sure
Osnabruck914
Hotel Tip - If you need a place to stay for your museum visit, the Hotel Neuwirthaus on Schweiberdinger Strasse in Zuffenhauen is by far the most convenient. Leave your car at the hotel and just walk down the hill to the factory and museum- no stress to find parking, etc.

Osnabruck914
Osnabruck914
Hotel Tip - If you need a place to stay for your museum visit, the Hotel Neuwirthaus on Schweiberdinger Strasse in Zuffenhauen is by far the most convenient. Leave your car at the hotel and just walk down the hill to the factory and museum- no stress to find parking, etc.

Osnabruck914
wonkipop
well you are a lucky man.
you will enjoy the experience.

if you happen to be in berlin the duetsches technikmuseum is pretty darned good.
but you might be museumed out...... biggrin.gif

if you want to do some research favours stick your iphone in front of the windscreen etchings on any 914 the porsche museum has on display and post the photos up here.
be really interested to know what windscreen was fitted to the red piech monster and the 74 1.8 they have if either are out on display. beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
BillJ
I can definitely try to do that for you!
BillJ
Arriving by train in Stuttgart in less than an hour! Any world members live here??
Type 47
I'm closely following this and looking forward to your pics/videos.

My wife signed on to go to Italy with her sister, bro-in-law, and another couple without us being allowed any input. smash.gif

I'm looking for a way to escape Italy and make a trip to Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen. If anyone has traveled from Florence to Stuttgart to visit the museum please give me some direction.

very interested in hearing about your experience.
targa72e
I have done Euro delivery of BMW's twice. Both included trip to Porsche museum. One to the old one, latest to the new. As others have said Mercedes museum is close and worth a trip. If you are in Munich the BMW Welt, museum and factory tour are available. Enjoy your trip.

john
CCE
QUOTE(Jack Standz @ Jan 31 2023, 01:34 PM) *

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jan 31 2023, 11:23 PM) *

Rented ahead of visit via Porsche's website and picked up outside the door of the museum (they have staff at the museum to help you, but setup rental before you go& I think you need to bring insurance papers also?). Also, the Mercedes-Benz museum is so close, you really should stop there too.

You can ask in the main entrance for the car rentals in the Porsche museum. In my visit last September 2022.
Unfortunately for me the red flat eight was out from the display and in the far corner of the mechanic shop. Because of the 911 2.7 RS 50th. anniversary
Click to view attachment

CCE
QUOTE(Osnabruck914 @ Jan 31 2023, 05:31 PM) *

Osnabruck914

I did the Loginn. Also very close, new, clean. Not fancy but just ok..
Click to view attachment
BillJ
So we went to the Mercedes museum yesterday. It was really great. They have a ton of cars, engines, etc on display and provide alot of context to the different eras. Here are some images of the displays and cars.
BillJ
Only two of these ever made. Sister car was sold last year by factory for 135M Euros. Most expensive car in the world. It was truly beautiful..
Click to view attachment

Lots of very gorgeous and cool cars
BillJ
Was a very great stop that we wont forget
BillJ
Even had some cool celebrity cars
BillJ
One word: Fangio

BillJ
So today we did a tour of the factory. They confiscate your phone before starting and therefore no pictures but we spent 2.5 hours with our guide and it was quite fun. He was younger and i am quite sure i know more about porsche in general but he was very knowledgeable on the operations side. He was a super nice guy.

Got to see the 911/cayman production line and what a gorgeous dance it was! They produce a little over 300 cars a day with 118 stations timed to no more than 2 minutes 48 seconds at each stop. Did not get to see the body dip and paint process but saw most of the entire assembly work. Automated robots follow the car to each station where technicians are busily, but not rushed, putting everything in place. Upholstry was very fun to watch and we also got a chance to see the boxster engine assembly line.

Overall was fun to get right close to the action watching man and machine put together these amazing works of art. We saw so many colors and variants including the Dakar porsches.
BillJ
We also hung out at the museum today for quite a while. We have our official private tour tomorrow but we got a regular ticket and checked it out. I definitely saw the 914 S V8 car. It was an ine.of the few turntables. I will try and get close enough for a detail shot at the windshield. Amazing vibe there and will add a bunch of phototos.

Click to view attachment

As tomorrow is my birthday will be renting a shark blue 911 from the museum and have some fun on the roads. Should be fun but i do wish i had my car with me.
BillJ
Great day today for my birthday. Took one of the museum rentals, a C4S in shark blue, out for the day. Drove out to Baden-Baden and ran the 500 through the black forest. Amazing views but it got icy up high so had to take it very easy. I was happier once we got to lower elevations and we drove out to Rotweil. Had a wonderful lunch and the old part of the town was perfect German setting. Click to view attachment
BillJ
Great day out
BillJ
Then we spent a bit more time in the museum. I hope this high res picture of the windshield on the 914 S will help our scholars
BillJ
Then we spent a bit more time in the museum. I hope this high res picture of the windshield on the 914 S will help our scholars
BillJ
May not have come out well sad.gif
BillJ
And some more that i took.
BillJ
Some other cars
Maltese Falcon
...wonder if Werkes 2 (across the road) is still offering customer + utility fleet service ¿
number40_914.jpg
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(BillJ @ Mar 11 2023, 11:46 AM) *

GOLD MATE beerchug.gif
thanks for doing that, really appreciate it.

its completely unique by the way.
nothing else we have come across has a SEKURIT branded windscreen.!!!!

I'd say it is a later replacement, not the original.
its got the E in a circle symbol which did not kick in until after 914s finished production.
still its interesting. tells you what company was making replacement part windscreens for porsche at some point in time. maybe late 70s or 80s.
BillJ
Some more museum pics.
DRPHIL914
@BillJ thanks for sharing! what an awesome trip for sure!! and to get to drive that 911, how fun. birthday3.gif Happy Birthday!
my plan is to get there for my 60th in 3 years.

Phil
BillJ
It was really great and even better that i got.to.share it with my son. Who fell asleep while we were driving lol.
BillJ
Oh and forgot to mention. Though there is a replica of '1 on the museum floor we got to see them working on the real one. Was very cool to see it!

racer914
This is pretty cool, thanks for sharing! My wife and I are headed there in June for a few days before we head over to France for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. We hope to take in the factory and both museums. The Porsche rental is something I will need to look into
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.