Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: another stolen 914-6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
our customer Ed, said his 914-6 disappeared after being left at a body shop and the owner has no idea where it is. He has reported it to the police. The id number is 9141430196 and Ed says it is signal orange
NARP74
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Cairo94507
I hate seeing these threads. I hope Ed has it insured for what it is worth and the body shop is heavily insured too. I pray they find it on the side of the road, out of gas and otherwise fine.
Robarabian
Photos???????? Post one so we can keep our eyes open worldwide!
@dr914@autoatlanta.com
StarBear
Aaarghhhh! sad.gif headbang.gif
Why I always wait on repairs or require it be kept inside and locked overnight - my mechanic is very good about that. Not sure that anyone would want to steal a 1.8, but try to keep bare minimum of gas in it when at garage - theives might have a hard time figuring out how to refuel it! (Maybe might lock the frunck handle now, too, when at the garage). blink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Robarabian @ Jan 31 2023, 04:29 PM) *

Photos???????? Post one so we can keep our eyes open worldwide!

sad.gif

IPB Image
jim_hoyland
Oh Boy ! I saw this car back a few years ago being restored at CarParc in Costa Mesa.
My original VIN entry comment“ Seen at Carparc USA in Costa Mesa 9/2010. Total restoration and listed on their website for sale.“
The shop owner indicated to me the car was heading to Europe at that time
Type 47
Hello McFly's

time to realize 914's aren't ugly ducklings and are prized possessions.

theft deterrent should be thought about by all of us.

Did the F'n scum bag thieves even know it was a six?
second wind
Oh my is that ever a beautiful car!! My friend used to lift my car up with a forklift and do wielding on it....if I was a creep I would fork lift a 914 on to a tow truck and C-ya! I don't ever park my '73 2.0 anywhere out of site....they are getting up there....what a world..sad.gif......good news is Rennsport is so very close....WoooHooo!!
gg
wonkipop
bit of a pattern here. given the other 6 stolen a few months back from member here.

thieves are targeting shops as the weak link!

jhynesrockmtn
Well this sucks. What's the solution beyond something simple like a club? Anyone have a good solution with GPS? Is lojack still a thing?
PlantMan
Could you not leave an Apple Air Tag in your car and track it anywhere it goes????
mate914
So... both cars were in CA at some point? That is a clue.
Another thing is car thieves are experienced. Experience comes from practice. I say we remove the practicing part. Vote for DA's who keep criminals in jail, or be a victim.
Its the same small group of people committing the crimes over and over again.

I hope you find your car. I also home thief gets punished.

Matt
vitamin914
QUOTE(PlantMan @ Jan 31 2023, 11:08 PM) *

Could you not leave an Apple Air Tag in your car and track it anywhere it goes????

I thought about this too. But because idiots use them to stalk people, Apple had to add all kind of alerts for that.

If the scum has an iPhone it will alert him there is an Apple tag following him and then he can use his phone to locate where the tag is placed (even if you do the hack to disconnect the chirp speaker). All that defeats using the AirTag for more than a very short time. Unless the thief's cell is an an Android then maybe a bit longer.

We need a better solution, I just bought a PlanetGPS device from Amazon. Still trying to figure out how best to use it. Still doubt that it is ideal.
rick 918-S
I was thinking Mint Mobile or one of those companies that advertise super low rates. Hardwire the phone into the car, put the ringer on mute and never use it. If the car goes missing track the phone number.
mepstein
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 1 2023, 08:01 AM) *

I was thinking Mint Mobile or one of those companies that advertise super low rates. Hardwire the phone into the car, put the ringer on mute and never use it. If the car goes missing track the phone number.

I think you want it to have its own battery. There are plenty of devices made for this need.
I wonder who is buying these stolen cars. 914-6’s are so easily identifiable by their owner and people that know the car. I would think the new owner would have a hard time showing the car or attending events. So just buy it to hide it away?
Seems like a lot of risk for not a lot of reward. We aren’t talking about million dollar cars.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 1 2023, 07:59 AM) *

I think you want it to have its own battery. There are plenty of devices made for this need.
I wonder who is buying these stolen cars. 914-6’s are so easily identifiable by their owner and people that know the car. I would think the new owner would have a hard time showing the car or attending events. So just buy it to hide it away?
Seems like a lot of risk for not a lot of reward. We aren’t talking about million dollar cars.

Well my thought was having it hidden and connected to the car so it never looses charge. Even if the battery gets disconnected the hidden phone will stay on for likely a week. Plenty of time to search for a signal.

What other devises are you refrring to that are low cost?
vitamin914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 1 2023, 08:59 AM) *

Here in Toronto most of the stolen cars (F150s, Jeeps, Hondas) almost immediately find their way into a shipping container headed for Africa or some other overseas location. They are not million dollar cars either but admittedly easier to fence than a more unique car. The amazing thing is some of these regular car owners have found their car on overseas websites peddling their stolen vehicle with the license plate still on them! The thieves were too lazy to take them off. Go figure... no cops here will go after the stolen property in Sudan or Libya. Heck, they don't seem interested in looking for them here in Canada either. Some people with high end cars have been carjacked just for their vehicle to disappear into thin air. No wonder insurance rates are so high with theft so rampant...
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jan 31 2023, 05:09 PM) *

Oh Boy ! I saw this car back a few years ago being restored at CarParc in Costa Mesa.
My original VIN entry comment“ Seen at Carparc USA in Costa Mesa 9/2010. Total restoration and listed on their website for sale.“

^ Interesting. Glenn has Germany as its last known whereabouts in mid-2018.

http://www.stazak.com/914reg/1971.html

Looks like a beautiful 914-6, and this really has me wanting to revisit insurance—but the reality is there's no amount of $ that would replace my lowly 1973 914 Question Liter after this many years, miles, and memories with it. sad.gif

Agree with other comments here re: finding the best tracker to use. Ideally hard-wired to the car or with a very long-life battery…and of course well hidden. An Airtag is a decent cheap & easy first line of defense, but that's probably about it. An old iPhone (or whatever) with its own number on a family plan and wired into the car might be a better way to go. Wonder what the draw would look like, and if there is a better choice.
NARP74
The last stolen vehicle thread had lots of good discussions about ways to protect the vehicle, GPS trackers etc. Would a removable steering wheel help at all? Obviously nothing stops a fork lift or a tow truck.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...361405&st=0

http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=361432
76-914
It's a damned shame. The scumbag thief did have good taste though. Sorry for the loss to the owner. sad.gif
mrholland2
I, for one, don't entirely trust the repair shops. I'm not saying the owner is a criminal at all. There are employees, delivery people, and former (perhaps unhappy) employees that all have strong familiarity with the layout and security (which frequently isn't all THAT secure).
Jett
So sorry for your loss! I hope this one comes back!

FWIW I am always concerned when leaving a valuable and unique car at a body shop or mechanic… so easy for a customer or dubious new employee to violate the car… several times we have had parts taken, NOS parts replaced with old… unnecessary damage, etc. Although we avoid at all cost, if we do bring a car in we take photos and a walk around video at the shop, and take photos on premise of all the “special” parts we bring.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Ed just sent me this picture

Click to view attachment
Kaeferfreund
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 1 2023, 02:09 AM) *

Hmm idea.gif ....are there some more pics of the current condition of this one (from 2021 or 2022) available? Now with Ansa and Mahle rims....interesting.
slivel
From what city was this car stolen? Didn't see it listed.
technicalninja
In 2009 I had a LoJack installed on a new car.
Sort of expensive but...
13 years later it still calls both my Wife's and my cell number if one of us drives the car with a weak battery in the key fobs.

"Your vehicle has been moved without your permission" 15 seconds after my wife got in the car. Every single time...

Lo-jack touts a 98% recovery rate!

When that car goes away, I will remove the system and put it on the 914.
The system has no clue what it's installed in.

Used systems are available on E-bay for $30

I don't know if LoJack will associate a used system to another owner but they are still in business.

Ours has worked flawlessly and there was no subscription fees.
rhodyguy
Left IN a body shop or OUTSIDE AT a body shop?
davep
My grandson`s Honda was stripped inside the bodyshop; no responsibility taken there either.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(slivel @ Feb 2 2023, 09:50 AM) *

Plates are California, where was it when taken ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 2 2023, 04:51 PM) *

agree.gif

Location and name of the shop would be helpful ...
idea.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Feb 2 2023, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 2 2023, 04:51 PM) *

agree.gif

Location and name of the shop would be helpful ...
idea.gif

my remark earlier about "a pattern here" ?

Cairo94507
This really is at the forefront of my mind every time I take my car out. I try to never leave it where I can not see it. On the rare occasion is has gone to the shop for something, I make sure it is inside at night and kept in front of the doors if it happens to be outside during the day.

The fact I have it insured with Grundy is comforting, but I would be heart broken if it was taken.
Beach914
I am very sad to read that this car has been taken. I just acquired 1816 and I swapped out my 308 in my garage at home for it. The 308 is in my storage unit. I have some projects lined up for it and its easier to get to when its nearby. The 308 doesn't need much at the moment and I'm thrilled to finally have a numbers matching -6 in my collection.
I will be extra careful as a result of these incidents.

Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
@Beach914 - Congratulations on your 6. What plans do you have for it? beerchug.gif
Beach914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 3 2023, 08:13 AM) *

@Beach914 - Congratulations on your 6. What plans do you have for it? beerchug.gif

Try to keep it as much like it is and enjoy owning it. Needs carpet, some minor dent removal, replacing front spoiler with a metal valence i now have to restore, and considering adding back vinyl on the sail panels. Wheels are 16x6 Fuchs and have a line on some 14x 5.5's that I might acquire.
mrholland2
I cannot fathom why a business wouldn't carry insurance that covers that which they do. If it's because they are cheap, shame on them. If it's because the insurance costs too much. . well, insurance companies are about two laws away from gangland protection extortionists anyway. (Although Nationwide WAS on my side when my Element got smacked by a douchebag in a Nissan 350Z showing of for his over-cologned male companion)
930cabman
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Feb 1 2023, 11:24 AM) *

I, for one, don't entirely trust the repair shops. I'm not saying the owner is a criminal at all. There are employees, delivery people, and former (perhaps unhappy) employees that all have strong familiarity with the layout and security (which frequently isn't all THAT secure).

I barely let any of my sporting machines out of my sight for more than a few minutes. Trust?? what is that?

Hopefully she will come back home
mepstein
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Feb 3 2023, 11:39 AM) *

I cannot fathom why a business wouldn't carry insurance that covers that which they do. If it's because they are cheap, shame on them. If it's because the insurance costs too much. . well, insurance companies are about two laws away from gangland protection extortionists anyway. (Although Nationwide WAS on my side when my Element got smacked by a douchebag in a Nissan 350Z showing of for his over-cologned male companion)

Business insurance is difficult. When I worked at a big Porsche shop, I tried to get insurance for the shop and all the cars inside. Multiple companies said they would only write a policy if we previously had insurance. So catch 22.
Best to have your own insurance if you leave it at a shop. It might be hard to do if you have an incomplete project car but even if the shop says they have insurance, count on protecting yourself.
skota23
What a great looking car, I would be gutted. Please add more info as it becomes available.
Lucky9146
@dr914@autoatlanta.com

Is there any more information on this theft you can provide?
driving.gif white914.jpg
jim_hoyland
Any update on Ed’s missing -6. ?
ClayPerrine
We bought luggage trackers from GEGO and used them on an overseas trip. After the trip, we are wiring them into the 914s, our BMW and our trailer.

https://www.gego.io/products/gego-universal-tracker

They work anywhere in the world, and can be hard wired into the car to keep the internal battery charged. So if the battery in the car is disconnected, it will still keep working for about a week or so until the battery goes dead. And it has location history, so even if it is turned off or blocked from GPS signals, the system remembers it's last location.

Personally, I think it is cheap insurance.

76-914
Currently I use Air Tags and at $21 a pop not a bad deal. However, to remain reliable they need to be changed out yearly. They're small enough to stash away on a 914 w/o detection. I like the idea that these GEGO's can be hard wired so it's a set & forget it tool. beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
I wired a ring doorbell in the garage. Now if the door is opened, I know it.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Oct 9 2023, 10:38 AM) *

I wired a ring doorbell in the garage. Now if the door is opened, I know it.

What do you do when you are away from home? biggrin.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.