Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What to do if you lost your keys?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Type 47
We are getting really close to the finish line on the 75' so getting down to small stuff.

Apparently, the 2 steel keys that came with the car are valet keys that only open the doors and work in the ignition. So, the other 3 locks don't have a key.

If I'm to ever have a proper red and black key, is there a way to make a key from the say trunk lock?

If you would get a Porsche CoA does it have key codes?
GregAmy
@TheCabinetMaker

It's quite possible that all you need is a black key version of the (I presume) red one you have in your hand. Very quite easy to resolve.

Contact Curtis (link above) for guidance. - GA
Type 47
Sweet,

thank you
infraredcalvin
The differences between the valet key and the black key are already cut into the key blank. You can use your steel key (red) to cut a black key.
TheCabinetmaker
Take the key you have to a local locksmith and have him make a copy from a P05 blank and see if that fits the trunks and glovebox. If no, I can make them work
914rrr
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Feb 1 2023, 07:12 AM) *

Take the key you have to a local locksmith and have him make a copy from a P05 blank and see if that fits the trunks and glovebox. If no, I can make them work

I don't know if it's applicable here, but I had an issue with residential door keys made on automatic key cutters that wouldn't work after being cut because the OG key had a fair amount of wear. Taking the same key to a regular locksmith shop with a heads up that the OG key was worn resulted in a key that worked because the locksmith used some sort of spacer when he cut the key.

Many years ago I somehow managed to lose my 914 keys while at a car show. An old school locksmith actually had a blank in his truck and hand filed the new key on the spot that worked!
TheCabinetmaker
I make keys to the factory code from a picture of a key.
Type 47
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Feb 1 2023, 04:12 AM) *

The local locksmith only could duplicate the steel key.

I tried to email you about making some keys but I'm not sure email or PM works for me all the time...could be a user problem.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Feb 6 2023, 12:39 PM) *

Just to ensure you understand...the cut is exactly the same for the valet and trunks/glovebox keys; the only difference is the blank used.

Curtis is the man on this, he replied above to ask for a P05 blank. Can the local guy get that blank? If so, have him cut that blank to match the valet keys you have. - GA
Type 47
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 6 2023, 09:59 AM) *

QUOTE(Type 47 @ Feb 6 2023, 12:39 PM) *

Just to ensure you understand...the cut is exactly the same for the valet and trunks/glovebox keys; the only difference is the blank used.

Curtis is the man on this, he replied above to ask for a P05 blank. Can the local guy get that blank? If so, have him cut that blank to match the valet keys you have. - GA

Thanks for the clarification, I get it (I think) now.

So the P05 blank is a Porsche blank? Like pictured below?

I had a knock off black blank laying around, so that is what the locksmith keyed. It still only turns in the door/ignition.

Click to view attachment
just a thought, look at the cut profile detail on the steel keys compared to the newly cut knockoff key. looks like a key machine job as mentioned earlier by 914rrr. beerchug.gif
GregAmy
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Feb 6 2023, 02:27 PM) *

Correct. The middle key is for the doors and ignition; note that it does not have that additional longitudinal slot? That's what activates the "valet" wafer. But the key code is (supposed to be) exactly the same.

I had a knock off black blank laying around, so that is what the locksmith keyed. It still only turns in the door/ignition.

OK, so that indicates that someone may have replaced your ignition tumbler and it no longer matches the doors and trunk/box.

In that case, you're going to need to get the ignition barrel adjusted for that key you have. Curtis is the man for that @TheCabinetMaker

GA

EDIT: Follow up: in comparing those keys, it looks like the black middle one is not EXACTLY the same? Maybe try jiggling around the key in the ignition tumbler as you lightly turn it? Otherwise, contact Curt.

EDIT 2: and Curt can cut a key based on that photo above...and so can anyone else with the skills. And this forum gets sucked up by spiders for addition to the Internet Archive (for forever). Might want to remove that attachment and just send it direct to Curt.
Type 47

EDIT 2: and Curt can cut a key based on that photo above...and so can anyone else with the skills. And this forum gets sucked up by spiders for addition to the Internet Archive (for forever). Might want to remove that attachment and just send it direct to Curt.
[/quote]

I didn't think about that...done
Type 47
It does work in the ignition and the doors.
GregAmy
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Feb 6 2023, 05:59 PM) *

I does work in the ignition and the doors.

Oh, I misread your post.

So I'm missing something here, because those steel keys with the valet slot cut in them should not be able to work the glovebox, but the black one with the vlaet slot missing should. Unless, of course, someone replaced the doors and ignition with a different key (which commonly happened, because if someone lost their keys but the glovebox and trunks were unlocked then they'd just buy a set of matching door and ignition tumblers from somoene and not ever bother with locking the trunks...)

I recommend working directly with Curt to resolve it. he can get it straightened out and even re-key everything to match. - GA
davep
When I purchase the data for my CoA-type reports I often get the key code. So there is the possibility of determining the code and having someone cut the key for you from that.
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 6 2023, 01:54 PM) *

Correct. The middle key is for the doors and ignition; note that it does not have that additional longitudinal slot? That's what activates the "valet" wafer. But the key code is (supposed to be) exactly the same.

OK, so that indicates that someone may have replaced your ignition tumbler and it no longer matches the doors and trunk/box.

In that case, you're going to need to get the ignition barrel adjusted for that key you have. Curtis is the man for that @TheCabinetMaker

GA

EDIT: Follow up: in comparing those keys, it looks like the black middle one is not EXACTLY the same? Maybe try jiggling around the key in the ignition tumbler as you lightly turn it? Otherwise, contact Curt.

curios what does sucked up by spiders relate to?
TheCabinetmaker
@type47 Sending a pm
Type 47
QUOTE(914043 @ Feb 6 2023, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 6 2023, 01:54 PM) *

GA

I think he means that b/c i posted pics of my keys some troll could copy them and potentially have keys to my car.

it may be a bit confusing as when I understood, I deleted the key pics
GregAmy
QUOTE(914043 @ Feb 6 2023, 11:20 PM) *

Internet "spiders", "crawlers". These are web engines that scan the Internet and cull all the data - posts, files, photos, etc - into databases. Examples include Bing and Google's search engine, but also the Internet Archive:

https://archive.org/web/

(I can't get into it right now but that could be because it's blocked at work).

The Web Archive is a major non-profit project to collect and store "all" the information on the Internet. Yeah, it's as big a project as it sounds. But, basically, its engines are constantly "crawling" the Internet and collecting publicly-available information (unless the web administrator puts code in the page requesting not to, which legit engines will honor).

Bottom line, everything that's posted on the Internet is being collected into the Internet Archive where it will be stored forever...well, as long as we have electricity lol...

A useful example for us is the 914 electrical diagrams that USED to be hosted on Pelican's web site, but they were removed, I'm told due to a copyright conflict. However, these diagrams were collected into the Internet Archive and are still available there.

A downside example is that if you post photos of your key, it can be used to make a copy. Now, what's the chances that someone will find THAT car and want to copy THAT key, and will know where to find that photo? Damned near zero, but...it's not exactly zero. Discretion is useful.

So keep in mind that anything you put on the Internet is subject to being stored forever, and publicly available, even if you later delete it...

GA

Edit Useful note: ever go to a forum and see that's there's a lot of not-logged-in "guests" on it? Sure, some of those are humans but a very very big chunk of those are web crawlers...constantly crawling...

Click to view attachment
Thank you GregAmy for helping the rest of us to become aware of the dangers of posting to much information on our web entries. Never knew how insidious it is and prudent it is to be AWARE. Thanks again! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.