Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What a Jerk!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gradskater
So my roomate is having a dinner party (as I type this) and I see a guy drive up in a Porsche 911 cabriolet. Im not sure what year, but its a late model, maybe 2002.

Anyway, my 914 is parked out front (I keep a cover on it, but anyone in the know can tell a 914 even under a cover) and when I meet him, I ask if he is the guy in the Porsche I just saw. He says in a smug rich person nasal whine "Im afraid so, ha ha ha".

Not funny.

I then say, "Cool, I also have a Porsche, a 914, it has the cover-" and before I can even get the sentance out, he cuts me off, saying in that same tone "yeah, I gotta get rid of it before my kid wants to drive it, ha ha ha". I didn't press the issue, as obviously the idiot didnt know anything about 914's or he would have at least paused and raised an eyebrow at the mention of the numbers.

He never even looks me in the eye, much less acknowledge the fact that I too drive a Porsche.

What a jerk.

I am so proud that I drive a 914 if for no other reason I don't have to deal with people like this. Im know there are cool 911 wasser-pumper owners out there, but this guy wasnt one of them.

Thanks for letting me vent.
TravisNeff
sneak outside with some lime green rattle can paint and tart up the side of his car with "914 Klub rools"
Joe Bob
Put a banana in his muffler... rocking nana.gif
TimT
Im not so sure about this.. two people were involved in this conversation..

Are you quite sure who is the jerk?
bd1308
cool car.

hand him a gallon of water....
Gradskater
Yes, there were two people in the conversation, me and the jerk.
wink.gif
TimT
Lighten up Francis
redshift
QUOTE (SEEMORE BUTZ @ Aug 10 2005, 10:22 PM)
Put a banana in his muffler... rocking nana.gif

That is what made him that way.

M
Brew
Travis, You gotta remember that not everyone has car disease like you do! To alot of people, it's just a transportation device, and not a functional work of art.
ChrisReale
Yea dood, get used to it. Ive had 944 owners turn their nose up at me, and have had $100,000.00 996 turbo drivers give me the thumbs up and rubber kneck my car like it had tits and ass....
chilli
He is part of what I refer to as the "gold chain group" or also fits the statement I started many years ago, "don't have to be smart to own a Porsche".. Anyway when you encounter one of these "impress the neighbors" idiots just ignore them and move on to more normal people.

I have a 911 and a 914 and have been around Porsches since 1974. I still enjoy going on tours or whatever with the 85 carrera or the 914 and blowing these jerks in the weeds on the drives. Most of them have not clue and never will no what what they drive. AND can't drive for at all even though the new cars do it all for them.

mike driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif
Gradskater
No bananas, no spraypaint.

Im sure he isnt such a bad guy, I mean he does drive an awesome car, right? Also, Im new to this whole Porsche thing, so perhaps I am a tad sensitive.

But who likes to get brushed aside and disregarded so quickly? Nobody does.

Gradskater
...gold chains, and wingtips too! Spot on, Chilli! laugh.gif
Jake Raby
Those are the ones that respond best to an ass beating by a certain 1966 Blue VW Beetle.... I did that about 3 weeks ago- and the guy was really trying to beat me-unbelievable, he didn't have a chance...
RAR
He's not a car guy. In fact he's not even driving a car, it's a status symbol. To you and me it's a great car (the 996), but I doubt that he knows that. The 914 is also a great car, but that goes without saying around here.
JB 914
QUOTE (TimT @ Aug 10 2005, 06:33 PM)
Lighten up Francis

hey, that's my line hijacked.gif
QUOTE (Gradskater @ Aug 10 2005, 06:11 PM)
So my roomate is having a dinner party (as I type this) and I see a guy drive up in a Porsche 911 cabriolet. Im not sure what year, but its a late model, maybe 2002.

Anyway, my 914 is parked out front (I keep a cover on it, but anyone in the know can tell a 914 even under a cover) and when I meet him, I ask if he is the guy in the Porsche I just saw. He says in a smug rich person nasal whine "Im afraid so, ha ha ha".

Not funny.

I then say, "Cool, I also have a Porsche, a 914, it has the cover-" and before I can even get the sentance out, he cuts me off, saying in that same tone "yeah, I gotta get rid of it before my kid wants to drive it, ha ha ha". I didn't press the issue, as obviously the idiot didnt know anything about 914's or he would have at least paused and raised an eyebrow at the mention of the numbers.

He never even looks me in the eye, much less acknowledge the fact that I too drive a Porsche.

What a jerk.

I am so proud that I drive a 914 if for no other reason I don't have to deal with people like this. Im know there are cool 911 wasser-pumper owners out there, but this guy wasnt one of them.

Thanks for letting me vent.

" He says in a smug rich person nasal whine "Im afraid so, ha ha ha".

Gradskater,

There's a jerk born every day.

My daily make up is a white 'T' shirt with shorts...
When I visit the 'high end' dealers,they usually blow me off.
Little that they know that I wrote a check for my 03 Porsche- the finance mgr said 'no one has done this before'...some times, one just has to walk away laughing inside.

Not everyone is humble these days- it's life cool.gif
redshift
QUOTE (ChrisReale @ Aug 10 2005, 10:40 PM)
and have had $100,000.00 996 turbo drivers give me the thumbs up and rubber kneck my car like it had tits and ass....

laugh.gif

LMAO! Or a PACKAGE... unsure.gif
Lyressa Roberts
Unfortunately, it is the folks like that who ruin it for everyone else. There was a thread going, i can't remember if it was here or another board, about waving to other Porsche owners. It's the ass holes who cause other Porsche owners to NOT want to wave to every Porsche out there. When I see a Porsche on the road, I'll look to see if they are paying attention, but most times, they see me and can't look away fast enough. Makes me want to flip them off, but it's just better to ignore them. Of course, if someone waves to me first, I just hope my window is down so i don't put my hand through it trying to wave back... biggrin.gif
redshift
Lyressa, I treat everyone the same.

I ride their asses, I don't signal when changing lanes, and I cut them off, to turn right on 4 lane highway.

If you drive like me, everyone waves. finger.gif

M
jd74914
QUOTE (0396 @ Aug 10 2005, 09:59 PM)
My daily make up is a white 'T' shirt with shorts...
When I visit the 'high end' dealers,they usually blow me off.
Little that they know that I wrote a check for my 03 Porsche- the finance mgr said 'no one has done this before'...some times, one just has to walk away laughing inside.

Not everyone is humble these days- it's life cool.gif

My dad has actually been told in car dealerships that he is to poor to buy the cars that he's looking at. He just leaves. All you have to do is be open minded wink.gif

I agree with someone up above. The guy may not be an enthusiast, or maybe he was just having a bad day. Give everyone the benefit of the doubt, first impressions aren't everything.
olav
QUOTE (joe buckle @ Aug 10 2005, 06:58 PM)
QUOTE (TimT @ Aug 10 2005, 06:33 PM)
Lighten up Francis

hey, that's my line hijacked.gif

beerchug.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif

Stripes
olav

Hey same thing happened to me.

A co-worker had a 987S and I asked him about his car and said I had a Porsche too.

He then went on to tell me he had his name down for a new M5...

End of conversation.

Same conversation with the CEO, he just got a brand new 997 and I came out to shoot the shit wth him about the car...turns out just a status symbol again.

Oh well, I tried.

My manager has a "project" car, a 68 convertible mustang, and I tell him about the stuff I'm doing to my car and get his advice etc. He has a media blaster and MIG and shit that he offered to me etc. It's all sitting dormant right now for 5 years. Maybe I'll inspire him to get going and help him out too. smile.gif

That's cool I can talk car crap with him at least.

Mr.C
Or how about this: Sitting in the break room talking about moving my car on the trailer and am asked what kind of car. I say a Porsche and just then the CEO comes walking in and gives me the stink eye and says I'm being payed too much. Instead of playing up the car (which is what has to be done usually with a 914) I had to say no, no, no, it's JUST a 914! laugh.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Cabasa @ Aug 10 2005, 08:40 PM)
Or how about this: Sitting in the break room talking about moving my car on the trailer and am asked what kind of car. I say a Porsche and just then the CEO comes walking in and gives me the stink eye and says I'm being payed too much. Instead of playing up the car (which is what has to be done usually with a 914) I had to say no, no, no, it's JUST a 914! laugh.gif

Haha, judging by your signature, you have too much space! smile.gif

(I have a 67 Mustang fastback, and even the guy from the county who goes around telling people they have too many cars visible from the street asked if it was for sale) biggrin.gif
Series9
That's the reason the RS has this:
Series9
And this: (I want the 911 dick-heads to be completely confused as I blow their doors off)
ThemWyatts
I wave at people in Pinto's! biggrin.gif
redshift
lol

m
DonTraver
How bout this: Few years back, on a back country tour with SDR, we take a break at Dudley's. 2 guys driving 996 turbo's come up to me and ask if I've got a 3.0L in my 6. I said, no, it's got the original engine, all 110hp. They looked at me and said, we were both doing our best to lose you, but just couldn't shake you. I just said yeah, I know, and smiled.

Or: just cruising on 805 couple of weeks ago, passed a 996, waved. A few miles up the road, this guy go by me at over a 100. Think it pissed him off being passed by a 914.

Deal is, every group has the good and bad. Don't judge all because of one.

Later, Don
Gradskater
Wow,

All your replies are great.

This was my first time being snubbed by another Porsche owner, and I am glad you all helped me through it. I think I am stronger for it. biggrin.gif

And as far as waving at cars, I wave at all other Porsches if they look my way, heck, I give the thumbs up to any cool car I like (of course I give special consideration for mid-engined cars)

hmmmm...a vee-dub sticker....i like
VegasRacer
True story. A few years ago a buddy (911 owner) and I stopped at an exclusive mountain lodge for a few beers after a hike. We were standing in the parking lot when this new, black C4 Cabriolet pulls in. We watch as the overweight 50 year old male driver gets out. He has his polyester shirt unbottend to his navel to show several gold chains. He adjusted his toupee while the 25 year old passenger with the fake tits climbed out. He glared at us as they walked in to the restaurant.

My buddy said "I've got an idea." He had a case of oil in the back of his Suburban. We poured out half of it under the Porsche. The slope of the parking lot was just right and it left a trail from the back of the car and formed a puddle by the drivers door.

We went inside the bar and had several drinks. About 2 hours later we were ready to leave. When we got outside we were rewarded with the pay off from our previous prank.

The tow truck had just finished loading the C4. We waved and smiled as it pulled out of the parking lot. We couldn't stop laughing the whole way home.
a.munoz3
QUOTE (ThemWyatts @ Aug 10 2005, 08:30 PM)
I wave at people in Pinto's! biggrin.gif

haha same here
Maltese Falcon
Travis, your introduction to the guy should have been "Hi are you the guy with the Porsche parked oputside? I just saw it hooked up to a tow truck and the repo agent politely asked ME (nasal of course) for the keys ". ohmy.gif
914Timo
We couldn't stop laughing the whole way home.

LOL !!! That was funny laugh.gif
TravisNeff
C'mon now! Just having a little fun here laugh.gif
CptTripps
Here in Shaker Heights, you get a Saab or a Porsche when you move in...I think it's a law or something. I own each, and have ALWAYS owned Saabs. I STILL wave at older 900s, and 99s when I see them on the road...but that's more for the 'wave' thread on the bird-board.

914: I've had people in 993s not wave back, and people in Turbo 996s get off at an exit with me to talk while I was getting gas. I trade waves with a 356 every morning, and even had a guy in a new Carerra GT ask me if I wanted to race. (With a wink.)

There are all kinds...it's just a matter of the dick-hole driving it.
redshift
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Aug 11 2005, 08:17 AM)
and even had a guy in a new Carerra GT ask me if I wanted to race. (With a wink.)

SMUG BASTARD! I'd have put him in the wall.

OOPS!

M
mudfoot76
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Aug 11 2005, 12:30 AM)
My buddy said "I've got an idea." He had a case of oil in the back of his Suburban. We poured out half of it under the Porsche.

lol2.gif

That guy probably didn't even know how to release the engine lid, much less where the oil dipstick was...very funny...

A few years ago I was out biking with a co-worker (offroad trails along the river here). He's a bimmer guy, and was new to Indy, so after our ride we head over to the BMW dealer not too far from the trails we were on. Now we're covered in dirt and sweat, and my friend even had an open cut on his leg from a crash. There is a brand new E46 M3 on the lot -- the shipping plastic was just removed. Sales guy sees us out looking at it and starts talking. He then asks if we'd like to drive it. We didn't think he was serious, and mentioned that we're filthy (and bleeding), he says 'that's no big deal, if ya want to go I just need to see your drivers liscences'. So off we go in this brand new Laguna Seca Blue M3, 6spd, black leather interior. Sales guy takes us to a nearby office park with a twisty boulevard and lets us wring the car out (admins -- don't worry, this wasn't a street race, it was a saturday afternoon and the place was vacant). That car was an absolutely amazing piece of machinery...it also convinced me that if I ever do go shopping for a high end car like that, I'll go in my grubbies. Anyone who doesn't want to talk to me just b/c I"m not wearing Brooks Bros can pissoff.gif
914Timo
Here in Shaker Heights, you get a Saab or a Porsche when you move in...I think it's a law or something.

Saab or a Porsche ?? It wouldn´t be too difficult to me to choose which one to take. wacko.gif laugh.gif

Saabs are pretty common cars here. Like Chevys there..... wink.gif

EdwardBlume
Mr "gold chains" is just breaking in the 911 for a real Porsche enthusiast to own. Think of him as a surrogate - or then again, don't think of him at all.

914s rock!
CptTripps
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 11 2005, 07:21 AM)
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Aug 11 2005, 08:17 AM)
and even had a guy in a new Carerra GT ask me if I wanted to race. (With a wink.)

SMUG BASTARD! I'd have put him in the wall.

OOPS!

M

It was actually pretty funny....

Him: Wanna race? (Wink)
Me: Wanna trade?

We pulled over and talked for 10min or so. He had just bought it that week. Man are those ever sweet...
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 10 2005, 07:15 PM)
Lyressa, I treat everyone the same.

I ride their asses, I don't signal when changing lanes, and I cut them off, to turn right on 4 lane highway.

If you drive like me, everyone waves. finger.gif

M

lol2.gif Yea, I would wave too!!! lol2.gif
Lyressa Roberts
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Aug 10 2005, 09:30 PM)
True story. A few years ago a buddy (911 owner) and I stopped at an exclusive mountain lodge for a few beers after a hike. We were standing in the parking lot when this new, black C4 Cabriolet pulls in. We watch as the overweight 50 year old male driver gets out. He has his polyester shirt unbottend to his navel to show several gold chains. He adjusted his toupee while the 25 year old passenger with the fake tits climbed out. He glared at us as they walked in to the restaurant.

My buddy said "I've got an idea." He had a case of oil in the back of his Suburban. We poured out half of it under the Porsche. The slope of the parking lot was just right and it left a trail from the back of the car and formed a puddle by the drivers door.

We went inside the bar and had several drinks. About 2 hours later we were ready to leave. When we got outside we were rewarded with the pay off from our previous prank.

The tow truck had just finished loading the C4. We waved and smiled as it pulled out of the parking lot. We couldn't stop laughing the whole way home.

Oh, that's classic!!!
Joe Bob
Guy probably leases it and is just keeping the seat warm until a real enthusiast gets to own it....or the dickhead crashes it going to a I Love George Bush Rally....
Joe Ricard
Yea, I make a point to meet and greet all Porsche owners.
Having owned a 928 for like 13 years and now 914's for several more. I am a certifiable car nut.
If you punk me with you high dollar 911 at an Autocross I will make a point to whip your ASS with a time slip. I'll Leave it under your wiper blade if given the chance. alfred.gif
Much rather talk to a Street mod Mustang owner. chatsmiley.gif
anthony
Wow, some of you people need to see a therapist about this. Your expectations for other people are quite high. Most Porsche owners aren't addicted to their car and don't read Porsche web forums every day all day. To most owners it's just a cool car that they bought.

Imagine the following conversation after you drive up to a party in your Camry:

[dude comes up to you]

Is that your Camry??

Yeah, why?

I drive a Toyota Echo. It's the one under the cover out front.

Ummm, dude, that's great. Where's the bathroom? See ya around.

[glad to get away from psycho Toyota weirdo]

Lyressa Roberts
lol2.gif I don't think they're talking about the one's who are not interested at all, they're talking about the one's who think they're better than a 914 owner. Granted, I don't know if the one's who snub me are snubbing my car or they are afraid I'll snub them...could go either way. I'm just talking about the one's who are full of themselves. I can understand not giving a crap...I've been there. biggrin.gif
redshift
QUOTE (VegasRacer @ Aug 11 2005, 01:30 AM)

pray.gif

It's not that I am not very good, it just that you are way, way, way, way, way better.

I await instruction, Master.

M
PatW
QUOTE (Gradskater @ Aug 10 2005, 06:11 PM)
Anyway, my 914 is parked out front (I keep a cover on it, but anyone in the know can tell a 914 even under a cover)

Glad to see you are taking care of my car. biggrin.gif I hope its serving you well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.