Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailer tires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
So my twin axle 7000 lb. open trailer is 8 years old and the date code on these tires will be 9 years soon. I know I must replace these tires. I completed inspected each tire every time I used the trailer. Maybe around 6-7k miles total. The tires look like they are maybe three years old. I think these were bias ply. They are Hi Run LQ 229 205/75 D 15. I just found these online for $69 each. For all I know Hi Run are crap tires now. Should I just go to COSTCO or Les Schwab? Does anybody have brand recommendations? Radial or bias ply?

Thank you

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
brant
You really need trailer rated tires
I believe decent ones are 10 ply

You really don’t want a problem when towing
That could take out your tow vehicle at the same time
Worth correct trailer tires
Unobtanium-inc
For years I bought the cheap ones at Tractor Supply, usually already on the rim. BY chance I had to put a set on a trailer to get it home at a tire store. They were Trailer King, and man what a difference. They ran better, longer, and didn't pancake when I loaded the trailer. It was worth the extra money. I ordered a set the last time I replaced them on one of my trailers. They also run cooler. I get them from Simple Tire.
Front yard mechanic
The main thing with those trailer tires is balance them and never run them under inflated. I keep an extra set around
Krieger
Excellent advice guys! Thank you very much!
GregAmy
My nice 10k enclosed race car trailer and 32' RV that I don't want to wreck gets the Goodyears. Very good quality tire.

The aluminum open trailer that has 5K capacity and only carries a 914 race car and tire rack gets Walmarts. I inspect them often.

Both get replaced every five years.
914Sixer
Trailer King RST radial tires is what I am running.
Jamie
QUOTE(brant @ Feb 7 2023, 06:27 PM) *

It is definitely poor policy to cheap out on trailer tires. I have many years experience towing big RV's as well as smaller trailers, and always rely on the reduced heat build-up characteristics and flexibility of radial tires rated for trailer use. They are formulated for less degradation from constant UV exposure, but still need to be constantly inspected and replaced on recommended schedule.
Beach914
I just purchased some Trailer King 10 ply 205/75-15's for my Trailer. Went up from previous 7 ply tires. Gotta get it ready for Rennsport in Oct!
brant
I should have added.... the comments above about UV protection are very good ones...

I started using tire covers (they sell for RV's) on my trailer tires about 3 years back.
sorta annoying to take them off and put them on repeatedly... but they can only help save your tires and very worth it.
jd74914
QUOTE(Jamie @ Feb 8 2023, 10:03 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Feb 7 2023, 06:27 PM) *

It is definitely poor policy to cheap out on trailer tires. I have many years experience towing big RV's as well as smaller trailers, and always rely on the reduced heat build-up characteristics and flexibility of radial tires rated for trailer use. They are formulated for less degradation from constant UV exposure, but still need to be constantly inspected and replaced on recommended schedule.

agree.gif 10 ply is ideal.

To me, buying crappy trailer tires is like buying crappy tires for a backhoe or other heavy load moving equipment. Saves you money up front, but if you have an issue, particularly while loaded, your life is on the line.
bossboy302
I've run Tow King (?) tires in that size for years. 3000# trailer and 3500-4000# of car/stuff. Very reliable. Les Schwab, because when I travel they're pretty much everywhere. Plus LW has good warranty.
Krieger
I called up Simple Tire and ordered the Trailer King RST tires. they are shipping the tires to the shop that I normally use free of charge. My tire guy liked that brand as well. They had no information as to the date code on the tires. They are allowing me to return the tires free of charge if I felt they were too old. I'd be happy with anything that was made 2022. $315 for a set of 4. Thank you all for your input!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.