Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relay board bad connector
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanpaulmc
Has anyone had success fixing a bad contact (male spade) on the 914's relay board?

Hats off to you folks that clean and refurbish these boards for others. pray.gif I have a lot of hours in cleaning up this board and with finding this bad connector (material loss) I'd prefer to fix it and move forward rather than finding another board and starting over. I've done continuity checking on everything and the board is in good shape and cleaned up relatively well otherwise.

I suspect these spade connectors can be un-soldered and pushed out the back. Can anyone verify that? And where to get a duplicate replacement piece?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

And, after some judicious cleaning...
Odd that it's only one of the four that is bad.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

As always, thanks in advance.

-Sean
JamesM
Have multiple board that failed at the 4 pin connector to the ECU, usually the pin that grounds the fuel pump relay.

I think I have the latest one fixed but havent driven the car enough to know for 100% sure. Examining a couple it almost looks like they were never soldered properly (cold joint) and that corrosion and pressure from the connector over time caused it to fail.
r_towle
Dremel with a pin grinder on it?
Geezer914
Use an emery board that the wife uses to file her nails.
Superhawk996
If you’re really worried about it, desolder the old terminal from the bottom. Use a solder sucker and copper braid to remove all traces of solder. Find appropriate male spade terminal - modify to fit board. Solder back to the trace.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.