Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Randy Pobst drove my car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tygaboy
Long story short, I've become acquainted with Randy Pobst, a world-class race driver and moto-journalist. If you aren't familiar with him, give him a Google.

Anyway, I heard he was at a track day at Sonoma Raceway today and, having seen him drive the 914 on a recent Jay Leno's Garage, I wanted to give him a look at my LS car and talk with him about the Ferrari build.

He asked that I take him for a ride, so we did that. On the way back into the track, I said "You should drive it..." He suggested we see if he could make a run on the auto-cross that was also underway...

The interesting news is that he said the car works pretty well. Granted, he didn't spend much time in it but... High praise, coming from someone with his experience. And that's the first time I'd seen the car "on the road" as an outside observer. Looks pretty good, IMO!

BTW, it's true what they say: Randy is as down-to-earth as they come. Folks were regularly coming up asking for selfies, looking for driving advise, etc. He'd stop what we were doing and happily acommodate them. An overall super nice guy. And FAST...

Boy, what an experience. I'm truly blessed. (And the car's value just went up another $10k!) laugh.gif

https://youtu.be/Cee5tz2Bs3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cee5tz2Bs3w
ValcoOscar
S W E E T !!!!

first.gif
76-914
beerchug.gif driving.gif smilie_pokal.gif
NARP74
That is cool. I see him pop up on several shows I watch and was very familiar with his Pikes Peak run in the Tesla. He is very smooth and does not miss many corners.
mxkinn01
I'm with Oscar and Kent, SWEET!
BTW this is the only kind of Corvette allowed on this forum. LOL
Mike
Click to view attachment
markhoward
How are you going to top that Chris!
Root_Werks
Nice! Very cool video, thanks for sharing.

Had a similar, although humbling experience in a 914-4 about 25 years ago while at a Driver Ed event: Instructor was teaching me the basics and I complained about my little 2.0-4cyl not having enough power as everyone was on my tail.

Instructor asked me to switch seats and hold his beer.

Needless to say, he and my little 914 start passing other cars. rolleyes.gif

I spent a lot more time at any event I could for the next few years just learning how to master my little 914-4.

driving.gif
burton73
Totally cool Chris totally impressive to view. Your work is well, its art. Serious art

Best Bob B

driving-girl.gif
MM1
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Feb 10 2023, 06:58 PM) *

Nice! Very cool video, thanks for sharing.

Had a similar, although humbling experience in a 914-4 about 25 years ago while at a Driver Ed event: Instructor was teaching me the basics and I complained about my little 2.0-4cyl not having enough power as everyone was on my tail.

Instructor asked me to switch seats and hold his beer.

Needless to say, he and my little 914 start passing other cars. rolleyes.gif

I spent a lot more time at any event I could for the next few years just learning how to master my little 914-4.

driving.gif

Sooo . . . did ya spill the beer? beerchug.gif
MM1
Contrast, Chris - good stuff!
Dr Evil
Thats cool! Im going to be hanging out with him next weekend at an even in Las Vegas. Now I will have something to talk to him about wink.gif
Type 47
Randy Pobst is a ROCK STAR!!!!

I met him at Road America at a NCM event the day after the IMSA races.

Very down to earth guy and very talented. He seems to be the go to guy for the car mags test pilot for all the new super fast cars.
technicalninja
Very cool!

I'm envious of both your car and having that guy experience it.
SirAndy
Awesome! Ask him if he wants to drive my 3.6L and compare the two smile.gif
driving.gif
emerygt350
That is so great. What a wonderful experience.
Type 47
QUOTE(mxkinn01 @ Feb 10 2023, 03:43 PM) *

Mike
Click to view attachment

Hey, Hey, Hey!

some of us have other cars too. all are good. I notice in the off topic/sandbox area there are a lot of pics of other cars, including Corvettes.

BTW, love that bug!
cali914
What was his time on the course compared to the other cars?
Mueller
Look looks good out there Chris, by the way what is dragging on the ground under the front section?
BuddyV
PAINT THAT B!#TCH !!!!

It's now famous. Time for paint.

Epic, Chris..... Epic. World-class build driven by a world class driver.

beerchug.gif
Krieger
WOW! That is so cool! Did you get him to sign the car somewhere with a sharpie?
Cairo94507
Wow Chris. That is about as cool as it ever gets. Pobst is an outstanding driver and by all accounts exactly how you describe him. That is the ultimate cool experience. beerchug.gif
slowrodent
Very very impressive and quite a validation! That dude can really drive.
Van914
Too Kool!
Puebloswatcop
Now that is awesome
rgalla9146

I rode shotgun with him around PIR in an RS6.
The other Audi salesman got out and kissed the ground.
What a thrill !
A legend drove your car......absolutely cool !
worn

Mike
Click to view attachment

What?!
Click to view attachment
What about this?
Or this?
Click to view attachment
Or this? They all seem relevant to powering a 914. Just as soon as I hoist my mizzen to the gangplank.
Click to view attachment
Freezin 914
That is cool! beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
Randy Pobst is one of the fastest, most talented American drivers in recent history given his speed in, well, everything. FWD, RWD, AWD, front-engined, rear-engined, mid-engined, etc…he's quick in anything you put him into. Also one of the most approachable, most personable individuals in the automotive space full stop.

Too cool that you got to do this, Chris, and knowing Randy just a bit, I suspect you made his day too.
mgp4591
Loved the video showing his control and flicking thru the cones! Your car is now showing you what you need to learn to drive it like that! driving.gif aktion035.gif
ConeDodger
Did you give him your phone number? If you did, you’ll likely get a call from Tim Suddard. The Ferrari project is made for the pages of Grassroots Motorsports.
carr914
I used to AutoCross (SCCA ProSolo) with Randy in the mid 80s when we were kids

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 13 2023, 06:29 AM) *

Did you give him your phone number? If you did, you’ll likely get a call from Tim Suddard. The Ferrari project is made for the pages of Grassroots Motorsports.

@ConeDodger Rob - Randy does have my contact info. He texted me over the weekend:

"Thank you, Chris! Car looks and drives so well for such a radical build so early in its development. It has so much potential."

Gotta say, I'm pretty proud to have received that and it's quite motiviating to hear that from someone of Randy's experience and stature.

On Grassroots: Randy only saw a couple pics of the Ferrari build so not sure it's top of his mind. I'll poke him about it if/when we communicate. I certainly don't what to bug him.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 13 2023, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Feb 13 2023, 06:29 AM) *

@ConeDodger Rob - Randy does have my contact info. He texted me over the weekend:

"Thank you, Chris! Car looks and drives so well for such a radical build so early in its development. It has so much potential."

Gotta say, I'm pretty proud to have received that and it's quite motiviating to hear that from someone of Randy's experience and stature.

On Grassroots: Randy only saw a couple pics of the Ferrari build so not sure it's top of his mind. I'll poke him about it if/when we communicate. I certainly don't what to bug him.

You really need to get him to drive the 914 Ferrari once it is done.

mlindner
That is very cool both the car and Randy. I spent a Saturday talking and driving with Vic Elford about 15 years ago, great memories. Best, Mark
mxkinn01
QUOTE(worn @ Feb 11 2023, 06:10 PM) *

Mike
Click to view attachment

What?!
Click to view attachment
What about this?
Or this?
Click to view attachment
Or this? They all seem relevant to powering a 914. Just as soon as I hoist my mizzen to the gangplank.
Click to view attachment

I knew someone would bust my chops on the joke. Lol. I was just showing off my latest 1961 Schwinn. Old Schwinns is another sickness I have.
Mike
Dr Evil
@tygaboy Chris,

Randy actually spoke to the large groups of doctor car guys I’m with this weekend about your car and how you can never have too much power. He had very positive things to say and I thought it was pretty cool how he can use your build as a good example of a vehicle needing skills to drive. Super nice guy and great day with him as well as night q n an until 11p. Heading to the the track now to hang. Super nice and very smart man.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Feb 19 2023, 06:32 AM) *

Randy actually spoke to the large groups of doctor car guys I’m with this weekend about your car and how you can never have too much power. He had very positive things to say and I thought it was pretty cool how he can use your build as a good example of a vehicle needing skills to drive. Super nice guy and great day with him as well as night q n an until 11p. Heading to the the track now to hang. Super nice and very smart man.

@Dr Evil - How cool is that? Thanks so much for letting me know! Randy and I plan to get him in the 914 Ferrari, once it's "done". Hope it measures up to the mighty LS-mobile! laugh.gif
You fellas drive safely!
carr914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Feb 13 2023, 10:34 AM) *

I used to AutoCross (SCCA ProSolo) with Randy in the mid 80s when we were kids

Click to view attachment

Randy came by the Track I work at today. Talked to him a bit, he showed me the Polestar he was driving. Hopefully he will be back in the next few days.
BillJ
Randy with my son and he is always so approachable!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.