Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2023 engine oil type
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
I searched several ways and never did find a thread on what is the latest recommended engine oil, type 4 engine.

I did however find several heated threads about GL5 smile.gif

Please let me know what oil I can get at a normal store and not special order.

Thanks
Rich
mgphoto
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 13 2023, 04:34 PM) *

I searched several ways and never did find a thread on what is the latest recommended engine oil, type 4 engine.

I did however find several heated threads about GL5 smile.gif

Please let me know what oil I can get at a normal store and not special order.

Thanks
Rich

You want something with ZDDP it is the additive for flat tappet cams ie type iv.
There are oils at your flap that have the additive read the label. The higher the concentration the better.
Many here use Penn Grade 1, used to be Castrol GTX but that name was sold off years ago.
Joe Gibbs has a line of racing oils very high in ZDDP.
Oil is cheap my engine was pretty expensive, I get a case of Penn Grade 1 30W from Amazon when I need it.
I think GL 5 is gear oil for trannys?
r_towle
Stuff is getting hard to find now.

So, Valvoline VR-1 has a high level of ZDDP but I’m having a hard time finding out how much.

Mobile 1 FS has 1000 ppm

Not finding Penn or joe Gibbs at any simple retailers.

Rich
emerygt350
Mobile 1 euro 0w40 is high in zddp and normally 24 dollars at Walmart for 5 quarts.
r_towle
I’m honestly not looking for low cost, I am looking for the right oil I can go get when I feel the desire to change my oil.
I tend to drive less than normal miles per year, so it’s a moisture issue versus the oil lifespan.

So, I want the right ZDDP
I want it at a local retailer.

technicalninja
I just use Lunati "break in additive."

https://www.lunatipower.com/concentrated-en...n-additive.html

Liquid ZDDP!

+1 on the European Formula M1
Double the ZDDP than normal to allow BMW to spec out 17K oil change intervals after they got their asses sued off regarding using only factory service centers under warrenty period.

BMW denied claims due to customer completed oil changes...
Got in class action lawsuit that they LOST bigtime.
Court said only way to deny claims is if service work is part of original purchase.
BMW announces "all maintenance included through warranty period."
BMW covers internals 3 years 50K.
BMW has to do just TWO oil changes during warranty period and needed an oil that could do this. Double the normal amount of ZDDP was the answer.
Third oil change happens at 51K.
Sneaky Germans...
Dave_Darling
It's generally better not to use additives, as it is not clear how those interact with the additive packages that are already in the oil. Best to use an oil that has the ZDDP levels you're looking for.

Brad Penn 20W50, Valvoline Racing VR1 20/50, and similar oils all do.

--DD
r_towle
@Dave_Darling
What level of zddp are we looking for?
Dave_Darling
I don't know. But those oils apparently have about the right amount.

--DD
Rleog
Dave Altman at Altman Distributing (auto supplies) in Ipswich (just off Rte 1) carries oil products for the classic Porsche crowd. I used to get Brad Penn 20W50 there. I’ve since gone with LN Engineering’s recommendation and am using Driven DT50. Expensive and special order. Ya. Once a year.

https://lnengineering.com/oil.html

https://lnengineering.com/products/joe-gibb...acing-oils.html

VaccaRabite
I'm still using Brad Penn racing oil. I have a few cases of it put up for when I need it. Used to get a case from Chris every year at Hershey, but would only change my oil once a year. Then I won 2 cases at events. YAY! So I have a pretty good stash of it now.

Just order the oil you need - don't plan on finding what you want at the local store. They have the oil to service your modern Ford and Honda, but have no idea what a 914 is and don't really care about your old pushrod V8 - except that they want to sell you parts when the cam goes flat.

Zach
Steve
Its getting harder to find VR1. Walmart is now carrying Castrol Classic.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Castrol-GTX-Clas...kBoChW4QAvD_BwE
I saw a chart somewhere that showed it had as much Zinc as VR1
Front yard mechanic
Oil conversation is like dead horse.gif
scott_in_nh
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 14 2023, 07:09 AM) *

I'm still using Brad Penn racing oil. I have a few cases of it put up for when I need it. Used to get a case from Chris every year at Hershey, but would only change my oil once a year. Then I won 2 cases at events. YAY! So I have a pretty good stash of it now.

Just order the oil you need - don't plan on finding what you want at the local store. They have the oil to service your modern Ford and Honda, but have no idea what a 914 is and don't really care about your old pushrod V8 - except that they want to sell you parts when the cam goes flat.

Zach

I have always used Brad Penn that I got from Chris Foley too. Rich once you decide which oil, just order enough for two changes and have it on the shelf for the next time. When you do change it, order more....
zoomCat
QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 14 2023, 09:25 AM) *

From the Amazon Q&A:
“Castrol GTX Classic 20W-50 contains a typical Zinc level of 1310 ppm and a typical Phosphorus level of 1199 ppm. “

Sold at some Walmart locations, and many FLAPs.
930cabman
QUOTE(zoomCat @ Feb 14 2023, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(Steve @ Feb 14 2023, 09:25 AM) *

From the Amazon Q&A:
“Castrol GTX Classic 20W-50 contains a typical Zinc level of 1310 ppm and a typical Phosphorus level of 1199 ppm. “

Sold at some Walmart locations, and many FLAPs.

I have been using this for years, about $26./5 quart container at Walmart. Works great
markhoward
Amazon has it for 21.99 for 5 qts right now. Just ordered 3 to give it a try on next oil change.
Big Len
QUOTE(markhoward @ Feb 14 2023, 03:15 PM) *

Amazon has it for 21.99 for 5 qts right now. Just ordered 3 to give iit a try on next oil change.

Great deal. Just ordered a few.
era vulgaris
Didn't Brad Penn become Penngrade a few years ago?
Olympic 914
ARPCA just had an oil clinic at a local Indy's shop.

The oil rep was from DA lubricants that make Penn Grade 1 (previously Brad Penn)

It has ZDDP in amounts recommended for flat tappet engines, However it is a semi-synthetic. If that makes a difference.

https://penngrade1.com/

There is a link to Where to buy on their site .
ClayPerrine
I use Valvoline VR1 in all the 914s. 20/50 in the 4.0L and straight 50 in the other two.

I get it at Oreilly auto parts. They have it on the shelf when I need a few quarts. When I do an oil change, I order a case or 4 (the 4.0 takes 22 quarts).

vitamin914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 15 2023, 10:50 AM) *

I use Valvoline VR1 in all the 914s. 20/50 in the 4.0L and straight 50 in the other two.

I get it at Oreilly auto parts. They have it on the shelf when I need a few quarts. When I do an oil change, I order a case or 4 (the 4.0 takes 22 quarts).

Ouch!!! 22 quarts makes for a expensive oil change... Maybe buy 55 gallon drums? that would cover you for 10 oil changes...
Badinfluence1
20-50w with zinc- dont care the brand or the gas milage... I like to drive it hard
930cabman
22 quarts, WOW that's an oil change. Where does it all live?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 15 2023, 03:18 PM) *

Oil tank, sump, two huge oil coolers, thermostat and all the lines connecting it together.

mgphoto
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 15 2023, 01:29 PM) *

Oil tank, sump, two huge oil coolers, thermostat and all the lines connecting it together.

At what interval and how much do you dump, all 22?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 15 2023, 04:30 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 15 2023, 01:29 PM) *

At what interval and how much do you dump, all 22?

With all the plumbing for the oil system, it doesn't completely empty out if you empty the tank and the sump. The left hand cooler has a plug in it that I use for a drain. It is for the temp sender on the 964, and I have that in the right cooler. The right cooler has to have the lines disconnected to drain it.

After that, it takes about 20 quarts to refill. And I change the oil every 3K miles. Yea, it's expensive, but I spent a hell of a lot on that engine, and I want to take care of it.

DennisV
QUOTE(Badinfluence1 @ Feb 15 2023, 01:16 PM) *

20-50w with zinc- dont care the brand or the gas milage... I like to drive it hard

I'm surprised that no one seems to consider Swepco. I'm only aware of it because of Bruce Anderson's 911 Performance book. He was a fan of it, but that book is quite dated now. In general Swepco seems to have a good reputation and their 306 Supreme Formula says
Designed for Older Equipment Requiring Higher Zinc Levels

Though I haven't found an indication of levels. Maybe their DIMONYL proprietary anti-wear additive is where the zinc comes in.

Several of the Porsche parts vendors sell 20W-50 by the gallon.

I don't have any experience with this. Just doing homework for my own build and was expecting to see Swepco in the debate.
popcorn[1].gif
DennisV
QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 13 2023, 07:44 PM) *

@Dave_Darling
What level of zddp are we looking for?

There is a gentleman in one of the 356 forums that has oil industry experience. He suggests:
oil must contain at a minimum 1100 ppm ZDDP

Only click that link if you have time to read. It is 275 posts long!
technicalninja
Since my original post in February, I've "saved" three late model cars from MAJOR repairs (or maybe just put them off for a while) with the Lunati additive.

One guy had badly squeaking rocker arms on a 2012 Chrysler 5.7. 160k
I said "Lets try this, it won't hurt anything but the cat and it might improve things."

Put 4 oz of the ZDDP (while running) and my customer and I listened to each rocker go quiet over a period of about 90 seconds one at a time. He had 6 making noise and wanted an estimate for complete replacement.
He tipped me $100!

I've seen the car a couple of times since and it's still quiet.

I'm currently trying to quiet hydraulic lash adjusters on a 300K Toyota V6. It will get MMO (1 qt Marvel Mystery oil) and 50 miles then oil change with additive.

I'll post results. The customer advised "it's been making noise forever."

I don't believe in "snake oil" additives.

This stuff has worked surprisingly well in many applications for me.
Geezer914
Driven 15w/50 from LN engineering.
hot_shoe914
You can always find Rotella. Has about 1267 ppm of zinc.
Dave_Darling
Have you checked Rotella lately? I remember about 5-6 years ago (?) they reformulated, and dropped the ZDDP levels significantly...

--DD
brant
Royal purple in the race car

Valvolene vr1 in the street car

Race car is 19 quarts but gets changed about every 3 hours of use
Probably 150 miles between changes
It also gets a valve adjustment at the same time/3 hours
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 18 2023, 05:41 PM) *

Have you checked Rotella lately? I remember about 5-6 years ago (?) they reformulated, and dropped the ZDDP levels significantly...

--DD

Rotella is down some on Zinc, but there are several good options. From what I have read the last couple of days, Lucas Hot Rod or Classic Car oil has plenty of zinc, actually, almost too much at 2100 ppm. I have read that anything over 2000 ppm begins to have a reverse affect.

Shoe
beerchug.gif
infraredcalvin
I’m surprised I haven’t seen anyone talk about it yet, but has anyone used fcp euro? Uses motul classic, 1800 ppm zddp, and once you make the initial purchase, you can return used oil and filter for replacement…for the cost of shipping the used stuff back…
VaccaRabite
I still have a ton of Brad Penn Green/Racing oil that goes in all the aircooleds.
I used to be able to find it local but these days I buy it by the case from Amazon/wherever.

And it does nt hurt that I have won a few cases at 914 events over the years.

Zach
VaccaRabite
I still have a ton of Brad Penn Green/Racing oil that goes in all the aircooleds.
I used to be able to find it local but these days I buy it by the case from Amazon/wherever.

And it does not hurt that I have won a few cases at 914 events over the years.

Zach
Rufus
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Dec 18 2023, 02:29 PM) *

Driven 15w/50 from LN engineering.

Not commenting on weight / viscosity, only brand, but FWIW Rothsport put Driven GP1 15w/40 in mine.
Krieger
I use Swepco in my 4 and 6!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.