Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Short Distance Car Transport
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SLKWrx
Hi all,

I am picking up a new body for my 914. The place is about 1.5 hrs away from me and its unregistered so I can't just AAA it. I don't own a car with a hitch.. Will UHaul rent a pickup with a hitch and a dolly? Any other rental companies? What methods do you use?

Thanks
-- Steve
URY914
I've seen people with a U-haul truck and a U-haul dolly.

P
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (SLKWrx @ Aug 11 2005, 10:34 AM)
...its unregistered so I can't just AAA it. I don't own a car with a hitch.. Will UHaul rent a pickup with a hitch and a dolly? Any other rental companies?

legally, if it's unregistered, NO wheels may touch the ground. i.e.: trailer (UHaulSpeak: "Auto Transporter"). the smallest vehicle UHaul will rent to operate one of their trailers is the 14' so estimate accordingly. i have rented a Ford F350 truck and a tow dolly from US Rents. as much as i hate them, UHaul is pretty much the least painful.

NEVER use a debit card for your initial deposit: they are CLUELESS on how to refund it. use cash or a REAL credit card.
bondo
I've had AAA tow unregistered cars before. I just request a flatbed. In fact I've bought 2 non-running cars that way. smile.gif I've heard that AAA (on the phone) sometimes asks if it's registered.. if they do you have to say yes. The tow truck driver doesn't care (as long as he has a flatbed, because of that whole wheels touching the ground thing)

If you go Uhaul, remember that the trailer, when empty, weighs 2000 lbs. (!!!)
SLKWrx
Ah.. thats cool, Didn't think AAA would do it. I'll give that a shot first, if they deny me, then I'll try UHaul. Maybe throwing the tow truck driver an extra 50 will change his mind
Brett W
You mean the law says you can't tow an unregistered car? I would tell you to move to the south, but there are enough people here already. I know some folks that couldn't even get to work if that law was enacted down here.
URY914
QUOTE (Brett W @ Aug 11 2005, 08:48 AM)
You mean the law says you can't tow an unregistered car? I would tell you to move to the south, but there are enough people here already. I know some folks that couldn't even get to work if that law was enacted down here.

Now if you're an unregistered sex offender driving an unregestered car.
Which is worst?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Brett W @ Aug 11 2005, 12:48 PM)
I know some folks that couldn't even get to work if that law was enacted down here.

i think the word you're looking for is 'enforced'. it's probably already been enacted.
it's all about the money... if you're "using" the road, they want you to have paid the "road use tax."
anyone is welcome to give it a shot and hope you don't get spotted, but you've gotta trade off the potential cost with the benefit gained...
SLKWrx
Better than my first idea of slapping plates on the car and attempting the 90 mile drive home. Figured that having the car impounded won't work well..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.