Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this a trim tool used for 914 windshield trim removal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
I bought this tool 30-40 years ago and recently dug it out of storage. IIRC, I bought it from a Mac Tool dealer and it was used for removal of trim and could be used to remove 914 windshield trim. I also think it used to have rubber or vinyl inserts where the holes in the handles are.

Is this correct? Also, are there better / stronger / thinner tools for removing windshield trim?

Click to view attachment
Root_Werks
Dunno about the tool you've pictured.

I've had good luck over the decades using Sheet Metal Skin Wedges:

https://litvon.com/product/sheet-metal-skin...BCABEgK7ifD_BwE

I have a good set that's probably 40-50 years old from my Dad. The small curve takes the trim and rotates as it pushes back out of the clip. Works very well.
914rrr
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Feb 17 2023, 03:03 PM) *

Dunno about the tool you've pictured.

I've had good luck over the decades using Sheet Metal Skin Wedges:

https://litvon.com/product/sheet-metal-skin...BCABEgK7ifD_BwE

I have a good set that's probably 40-50 years old from my Dad. The small curve takes the trim and rotates as it pushes back out of the clip. Works very well.

Thanks, I'll look them up! I can see other uses as well.
Cairo94507
I do believe that is a tool for 914 windshield trim. It has been a long time since I put a windshield in a 914, but that tool looks very familiar.
Type 47
I got mine from 914 Rubber $21

Click to view attachment
rgalla9146
This one works for me.
Slip the flat end between the glass and the trim and lever the trim from behind the
clip.
Not destructive and easy to use. Cheap too.
I put tape on it to protect the glass.
KD 431
rick 918-S
DO NOT USE THAT TOOL!

Take a razor blade and slide in between the windsheild frame and the trim and simply cut the plastic clips. If you bend the trim (and you will with those tools headbang.gif ) it is a bitch to straighten. 914Rubber and AA amoung others sell the plastic clips. They are cheap and easy to replace. It takes 19 of them if memory serves. Don't do it... krider.gif
rgalla9146
DO USE THIS TOOL !
If you need to remove your trim and you are not replacing your
windshield.
OR cut all 19 clips first then discover that they can not be replaced without
removing the windshield. smile.gif
PS; it is just as easy to bend the trim installing it as when removing it........patience pays
914rrr
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Feb 21 2023, 06:36 PM) *

I got mine from 914 Rubber $21

Click to view attachment

Now that I see this, the one I have may originally had "bent" tips on both ends vs flatter tips. I saw the bent tip and assumed I'd (mis) used it and bent the tip on one end.
914rrr
I successfully removed the windshield trims on both cars recently. I used the pallet knives and craft spatula I bought at Dollar Tree (DT) pictured below to get things started / loosened up a bit and went back with the larger trim tool to remove them the rest of the way.

BTW, DT has a heavier duty hook pick with a white handle like the craft spatula. My wife hates it when I go to DT un-chaperoned as I rarely walk out with less than $25 worth...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.