Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Matt's Gold 911 is going back home
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Please consider donating to the Michael J. Fox Foundation:

https://give.michaeljfox.org/give/421686/#&...nation/checkout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZg5P45cxC8

Some of you probably remember Matt Plasket.
He was a 914world fixture for a long time, and is currently dealing with some serious long term health issues that keep him from driving or posting.

Matt and Katherine held several East Coast Cookouts for 914 folks at their house in Frederick MD. For ages and ages Matt wanted to get his gold 911 SE repainted and put back together.

Scott Burnett did the painting and body work, and the car then went to Eric Shea's shop for finishing after the Plasket's moved to Utah.

On Valentines day, Matt's 911 got loaded up on a transport and is headed back to Maryland where Matt and Kath recently moved back to.

Eric made this video to mark the occasion. We thought it was a good idea to share it.

If you have pictures of Matt or Kath or any of the parties they held, post them up here. It will be fun to show Matt what's up. :-)
VaccaRabite
Click to view attachment
Katherine at the 2007(?) East Coast Cookout

Click to view attachment
Matt at the 2010 East Coast Cookout at the Hagerstown Airport autocross

Click to view attachment
Matt and Jim McLeod (RIP) at the 2010 ECC

Zach
VaccaRabite
Click to view attachment
Matt driving me around at Hershey Swap during the "Zach's 914 is perpetually broke" era.
VaccaRabite
Click to view attachment
The year we all had to help Matt get started. This was Mike with a coin jumping the starter.

Click to view attachment
And the service charge Mike charged a little later on....

@DrEvil

VaccaRabite
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

The day Matt and I towed the Gold 911 to Scotts shop outside Richmond. The steering went out of alignment in Haymarket VA at a gas station, so we had to stop and get a tow dolly instead of continuing to flat tow it. I can't recall why there was a ton of baby stuff in my Highlander - maybe I was bringing it to someone? Or maybe it just lived there.
VaccaRabite
IPB Image
The car in Utah, getting ready to go to PMB for finishing.

IPB Image
IPB Image
The view from Matt and Katherine's house in Utah. Man, it would be hard to move back to the east coast after living there. I find myself trying to find excuses to get back to Utah again. I think that the East Coast is pretty awesome, but I was struck dumb being that close to the Rockies.
JmuRiz
Great update! Good work everyone.
I’ll have to dig in my archive drives for photos…but the memories of the fredneck GTGs are still in my mind.
Eric_Shea
So incredibly honored to be a part of this build and this family. smilie_pokal.gif wub.gif
mlindner
Very cool, thanks for sharing Zack. And thank you Eric for the great work. Mark
mate914
That is a good story. I hope Matt finds a little hope from this experience.

The picture with dude standing over Matt while he sleeps is off putting to say the least.

God speed Matt

Matt flag.gif
BeatNavy
Thanks for posting, Zach. Very cool story.

I really only got to meet Matt once, at probably the last ECC he and his wife hosted, but I could tell they were really good people. Also met Jim McLeod there for the first time (RIP, Jim).

Best to Matt and Katherine.
ri914
what a great story. The best part about these cars is clearly the people that own them. I would have never finished my project without this group. I know some people were not a fan of my build, but they still helped anyway and gave me all the tips and tricks to get it done.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 18 2023, 11:28 PM) *

Great update! Good work everyone.
I’ll have to dig in my archive drives for photos…but the memories of the fredneck GTGs are still in my mind.

Matt and Kath also used to host a smaller holidays party, but for the life of me I can’t find pics. Maybe you have some squirreled away.

Zach
Dion
Just awesome. I’ve met Matt a couple of times at Hershey. He and Jim were always a pleasure to hang out with. Thanks for posting this & the pic of him and Jim!
My best to ya Matt. Keep pushing! beerchug.gif
mepstein
I always enjoyed Matt’s parties.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 18 2023, 07:52 PM) *

IPB Image
The car in Utah, getting ready to go to PMB for finishing.

IPB Image
IPB Image
The view from Matt and Katherine's house in Utah. Man, it would be hard to move back to the east coast after living there. I find myself trying to find excuses to get back to Utah again. I think that the East Coast is pretty awesome, but I was struck dumb being that close to the Rockies.

many mountain ranges in a close proximity,.,, Great Effort By All...
Eric_Shea
I've added this to the first thread. It would be great if the 914World community could show their support...

Please consider donating to the Michael J. Fox Foundation:

https://give.michaeljfox.org/give/421686/#&...nation/checkout
Dr Evil
QUOTE(crash914 @ Feb 20 2023, 10:02 PM) *

I think that is Welby Sowers in the third pic. Another 914 brother gone too soon.

I didnt take many pics back in the day. Im kicking myself for that. These pics bring back great memories. I actually was the one that prompted Matt to see a neurologist. It all started with his loss of smell (not the same as COVID induced, dont freak, not related) that I noticed when we were driving from MD down to Auto Atlanta where I was doing a transmission rebuild clinic. No way a normal human can stay in a car with me that long and not succumb to my road-food fueled flatulence. That just was not normal. I got his little 1972 1.7 up to 100mph on the drive while he slept. Took a while. He woke up, looked at the digital speed indicator he used which had a tattle tail for highest speed, looked at me and said, "asshole" as he chuckled. <3
VaccaRabite
The Gold 911 should be delivered today.

Yesterday I got a text from Kath around 1:30ish that the truck would be arriving in 4 hours. So I signed out of work and drove over to their place in Frederick. I got there around 3:30 and was worried that I'd miss the delivery. But the car had not shown yet.

Around 4 Kath called he shipper back to check in. 4 is when she likes to go visit Matt in Memory Care / Hospice. Shipper was still in Philadelphia and said he would not be to us till around 7:30. So we went and visited with Matt for an hour, which was really good.

At around 7:45ish the driver called and said he'd gotten lost in Washington DC. For those not familiar with the MidA area, DC is about 45 minutes south and east of Frederick, and going to DC from Philly will NEVER get you to Fredrick. The driver was packing it up for the night, and the car will be delivered today (Thursday).

This is both good and bad. The bad is that I'll miss being able to help with delivery and seeing Matt's reaction. But the good is that Kath really wanted the car to arrive during the day so she could see it on the truck. The weather today is supposed to be MUCH nicer too - near 80 and sunny as compared to yesterday's ice and rain.

Her plan is to drive the 911 over when she visits Matt this afternoon, and park it just outside his room where he will be able to see it from the window. Yesterday he was really excited for the car to be coming home, so I'm sure he'll be thrilled to see it.

Zach
BeatNavy
Good stuff, Zach. God bless Matt and family. I hope it's a big day for all of them.

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 23 2023, 08:34 AM) *

At around 7:45ish the driver called and said he'd gotten lost in Washington DC.

How does that even happen in the age of GPS??? Or maps even headbang.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Feb 23 2023, 09:50 AM) *

Good stuff, Zach. God bless Matt and family. I hope it's a big day for all of them.

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 23 2023, 08:34 AM) *

At around 7:45ish the driver called and said he'd gotten lost in Washington DC.

How does that even happen in the age of GPS??? Or maps even headbang.gif

My experience with deliveries is they lie - a lot. All kinds of excuses and crazy stories. I’m getting my 912 delivered tomorrow by a reputable guy that I know and trust. He’s a one man show and there’s no funny business. But he’s rare. Shipping cars is still mostly the Wild West unless you pay top dollar for one of the big names.
BeatNavy
Then I guess that would make sense. I guess this is a case where we can point to perfidy rather than stupidity.
mepstein
A couple months ago I had a delivery guy show up at 1am and did he needed to unload now. Wouldn’t wait until morning. The only reason I answered the phone and accepted the delivery was because it was my son’s car.
He had told me he would show by 6pm.
VaccaRabite
Car is in Matt and Katherine’s driveway!

Click to view attachment

As far as I know Matt has not seen it yet. Katherine is really happy. First time she has ever driven the car.

Zach
JmuRiz
biggrin.gif
crash914
Same house! Back where it belongs.
VaccaRabite
Click to view attachment
Matt got to see it and go for a ride today. Kath sent us this photo a little while ago. She picked Matt up from the Memory Care center and they went for a drive around Frederick.

driving-girl.gif first.gif

Zach
nditiz1
Eric Shea was asking about a shop in Frederick that knows CIS. Is that query for Matt? I'm no CIS expert but do live 15 mins from Frederick and don't mind helping if someone wants to pass my contact info along.
mepstein
Tony Donato is in Philly. He’s the east coast cis expert. I know it’s probably 2 hours fro Matt’s but he’s very good.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Feb 23 2023, 08:56 PM) *

Eric Shea was asking about a shop in Frederick that knows CIS. Is that query for Matt? I'm no CIS expert but do live 15 mins from Frederick and don't mind helping if someone wants to pass my contact info along.

I don’t know. For the moment the car should be running like a top. But if it needs a tuneup it’s good to know where to go. Eric takes care of his people so I would not be suprosed if he was getting some local knowledge to hand over to Kath and Matt.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.