Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Manual Antenna
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DennisV
I am trying to figure out which antenna was correct for the hole that exists in our driver's side fender.

The info sheet for our car lists:
M453 Blaupunkt Frankfurt US retractable antenna with loudspeaker & noise suppression

I assume it's a manual Hirschmann as pictured in the 914 Restorer's Guide to Authenticity book. Were there several different models of Hirschmann? Are they shared with 911/912? Some appear to have keys? When shopping, how do I identify it (i.e. model number)?

I couldn't find a part number listed for an antenna in the Factory Parts Catalog. If anyone has a photo of an original, I would greatly appreciate seeing that.

Thank you.
L-Jet914
I replaced the one that came with my 74 914 on the passenger side fender with a manual Hirschmann antenna that actually goes all the way down flush when stowed unlike the one that my 914 came with. It also comes with a little antenna key to lift the antenna out. If memory service me right some of the antennas need an extension cable due to driver side fender mount vs passenger side fender mount. The Hirschmann manual antenna I purchased had more than enough length so I just coiled it up with a ziptie to keep it neat and tidy underneath the dash. All radios from what I've read were a dealer installed option. So wherever the dealer wanted to drill the hole on the fender that day is where the antenna was placed. I will say the dealer that my 914 came from didn't clean up the hole going into the frunk area and it's still rough to this day haha. I ordered mine from Pelican Parts https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...=B76-912-001-41
DennisV
QUOTE(L-Jet914 @ Feb 19 2023, 01:25 PM) *

All radios from what I've read were a dealer installed option.

I had read this as well. That said, the car Info Spec sheet that I purchased has the radio listed as quoted above. It does not match what I found in the car, which was Motorola.
914Sixer
Early car factory radio were common. Dealers caught on right away to the fact they could order the install radio package. It had the factory installing the speakers, radio wiring harness and antenna. Chances are that your antenna was indeed a Hirschman.
Cairo94507
I installed an electric Hirschmann in my car so I can stream music and leave the antenna down if I want. Yeah, I could have left it manual. When I turn on the radio it will go up and when I turn off the radio it goes down. I have a switch next to my heated seats (yeah, not stock either- but so worth it!) all three switches match and are pretty fairly hidden.
porschetub
QUOTE(DennisV @ Feb 20 2023, 08:28 AM) *

I am trying to figure out which antenna was correct for the hole that exists in our driver's side fender.

The info sheet for our car lists:
M453 Blaupunkt Frankfurt US retractable antenna with loudspeaker & noise suppression

I assume it's a manual Hirschmann as pictured in the 914 Restorer's Guide to Authenticity book. Were there several different models of Hirschmann? Are they shared with 911/912? Some appear to have keys? When shopping, how do I identify it (i.e. model number)?

I couldn't find a part number listed for an antenna in the Factory Parts Catalog. If anyone has a photo of an original, I would greatly appreciate seeing that.

Thank you.

Dennis I purchased a NOS manual Hirschmann but seem to remember it was the later production of the rare black tip ones which are very hard to find and mega bucks,happy with mine ,nice fit and well made , my car is less than stock but you maybe you be aiming higher with your stock resto...don't know ?.
Cheers.
DennisV
Does anyone know the differences in the Hirschmann model numbers?

From this thread, it would appear the correct antenna would possibly be:
Hirschmann Auta 2670 A 803L
For VW-Porsche 914/914-6

Very hard to locate. I did find a Auta 2670 M 804L for 924. They look very similar. Does anyone know what makes them different?
Jack Standz
Here's what I have, including an installation drawing that the manufacturer shows where to mount on a 914.

Best wishes for the project.
Jack Standz
Click to view attachment
Jack Standz
Click to view attachment
rgalla9146

The dealers did whatever was easiest and cheapest so they put any antenna
wherever they liked.
The antenna belongs on the drivers side for two reasons.
First, there is hole for the antenna wire to enter the fan housing/wiper motor area
from the wheelwell. It is on the drivers inner fender only. It has a rubber plug in
it and is on every car from 1970 to 1976. There is another hole to pass the wire
into the radio area.
Second, there is a hole in the pinch weld flange at the rear of the drivers fender
well that is provided to attach a support bracket for the tube of the antenna.
The correct antenna had the diagram (as seen above) showing where to place the
hole in the drivers fender. The antenna was chrome (stainless ?) and came with a
914 specific bracket and hardware to install it. It is not a perforated metal strap.
Both Hirshmann and Wisi were made for 914s
Antennas have been discussed here before.
I can provide more info and pics this coming week.

DennisV
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Mar 3 2023, 06:43 PM) *

The dealers did whatever was easiest and cheapest so they put any antenna wherever they liked.

The factory Info Sheet we got for our car indicates: M453 Blaupunkt Frankfurt US retractable antenna with loudspeaker & noise suppression. I realize there is debate about whether the factory actually installed any radios. There is an existing hole in our driver fender. It appears to be 19mm.

there is hole for the antenna wire to enter the fan housing/wiper motor area from the wheelwell. It is on the drivers inner fender only. It has a rubber plug in it and is on every car from 1970 to 1976. There is another hole to pass the wire into the radio area.

Second, there is a hole in the pinch weld flange at the rear of the drivers fender well that is provided to attach a support bracket for the tube of the antenna.

This is very helpful information. Thanks for sharing this!

Antennas have been discussed here before. I can provide more info and pics this coming week.

I have been through a LOT of antenna threads. Both here and on 911 boards. I'm having a really tough time distinguishing between the wide variety of Hirschmann to know what's correct for 1970 914-6. The differences in length, tip colors, keys, base angle, etc. makes it easy to get them confused.

I have plenty of other fish to fry, so I shouldn't be obsessing on antenna right now. That said, I will need a radio! So I might as well get the right antenna. biggrin.gif
rgalla9146
The antenna tube under the fender is 13.5" long and 14mm diameter
Picture shows antenna bracket and mounting features under drivers
front fender.
The antenna shown is close but no cigar.
914sgofast2
Can anyone tell me what other car models used the same type of Hirschmann antenna as was commonly used in the 914's? BMW, Mercedes or VW? Next time I go to the local Pick-and-Pull I will search for one. My car just has a generic telescoping antenna of unknown origin on it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.