Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: motorcycle header on 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
I like the throughty sound of the 1000cc plus race bikes - and wouldn't mind that sound from my 914.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-MOTO...567336056QQrdZ1

I put a banana style muffler on my 1.7 exhaust on my 2.0 engine but man is it loud - obnoxiously so - especially at night.

I thought that maybe I could cut the muffler of off my muffler assy and install a motorcycle type for nicer sound and be quiter also - this one is rate 80db.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Kawasa...567604117QQrdZ1

Jim
davep
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here. The engineering is not correct.
Rough_Rider
TVR did that with a few of their production cars. Although you gotta believe they did a lot of testing to get correct sound levels, length etc.

No reason not todo it, except a lot of race cans are straight through so any db ratings could be skewed.
charlesmac
Have a friend that put a D&D exhaust canister (can't remember what size bike it was off of) on a 1776 in his bug, sounded great! It was loud especially when you hammered it, but not too bad at cruising speed.
Joe Ricard
Hey what's Up Charles ? You coming racing this weekend?
Fred might show up too.
I had thought of this too. Might be a neat way to muffle a Kerry Hunter Header. Well you would have to have a Gimme take-off from a bike rider that moved up to the next level. Otherwise it WOULD NOT be cheap at all.
Dyno-max race muffler is 35 bucks from JEG's
charlesmac
I've got a gig to play this weekend, Joe. Hopefuly i can get another in before the season's up.
Sometimes you can catch a bike shop that has some left overs that they want to get rid of cheap.

JmuRiz
How could a stock-type muffler on a 914 sound THAT loud?
Also, why not run a 2.0 system? If you like the sound of 1000cc racebikes, you'd be better off looking at a aftermarket can...but those are $$$. Just get a magnaflow or something if you want a change for cheap.
As for that D&D, yikes, those things are obnoxiously loud on a bike, much less on a car...my ears ring just thinking about it.
redshift
WHAT?

M
Mueller
you need to learn your terminology of car parts better, you might have gotten better replys since your subject makes no practical sense smile.gif

as to using those mufflers, it would have to be trial and error, I'm sure they work, but don't expect it to sound like motorcycle....a lot of the sound you hear is due to the mechanical noises of the engine.....I had a single chamber flowmaster on my car and while it sounded good, it was too loud, I am very happy with the V8 style "turbo" muffler now on the car (with a header).....as for flow with a motorcycle muffler, I would think that if you picked one off of a fairly large bike with high rpm capibility, it'll be okay....a good guide would be to find a bike with a HP rating higher than you 914 (almost all bikes, hahahha)

I agree with JmuRiz, something is wrong with your muffler if it's too loud and a stock system.

Joe Bob
Better off tossing a Supertrapp on the end...at least you can adjust the noise level by adding or deleting discs....
jimkelly
You are 1000% correct - I guess header stuck in my head after doing the search in ebay several different ways. At idle it sounds very fine but right now with my rear window out and my engine cover off - 3-4-5000 rpm is too loud for a ride thru most neighborhood. Maybe it is just me not being used the the db level of a 914. Jim
redshift
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 11 2005, 02:39 PM)
a good guide would be to find a bike with a HP rating higher than you 914 (almost all bikes, hahahha)

LOL

Bultaco 250.

M
JmuRiz
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 11 2005, 10:39 AM)
a good guide would be to find a bike with a HP rating higher than you 914 (almost all bikes, hahahha)

Or better yet, they typically have to do with the cyl size of each cyl. That's why you normally see 1000cc twins (500cc per fire) with 2 mufflers and why 1000cc 4s (250cc per fire) have single mufflers.
Joe Bob
Bear in mind...a MC engine is a LOW torque, HIGH revving motor in a LIGHT body that needs as much free flow as possible to get the high horse power rating....

Put a Hyabashyu (sic?) motor in a 2000lbs car and you will need 8 gears and a huge clutch to get it to move....

So four muffs on a four cylinder bike motor makes sense.

A large single muff on a higher torque motor makes sense....I used two five inch (at the tip) Supertrapps on my 3.6 for three years...worked OK...
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (jimkelly @ Aug 11 2005, 07:23 AM)

I put a banana style muffler on my 1.7 exhaust on my 2.0 engine but man is it loud - obnoxiously so - especially at night.

Jim

Your exhaust is more obnoxious at night? Perhaps you could just drive it during the daylight hours? I was unaware that the absense of light made mufflers louder. The Cap'n, bewildered but LOL
DNHunt
I have a 2 1/2" X 14" Magnaflow on Eurorace headers that can be angry loud.

I doubt mufflers are louder at night but, I'm sure more cautious with noise at night. I often leave for work @ 5:00 AM and I get the car rolling with as little throttle as possible and then coast down the hill to the county road. I know the people on my road appreciate it.

Dave
jimkelly
This is exactly what I am talking about. I can get in my subaru and floor it and no one would probably notice. If I get revs up for decent gear changes in my 914, I'll probably wake the whole neightborhood and dogs will start barking. what is a decent db for our 914 at lets say 3500 rpm?
spare time toys
I have a short Supertrapp I made up for my old 1.7 the came out the center of the car like a stinger. I could make you a good deal on it. With the V8 it aint doing me any good. PM me if you want to see photos and info.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.