Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CCE
I installed a CB Performance ignition kit, on my 74 2.0L, with webers. I Have run it for 1300miles +,- and now am in my third coil… it reduces RPM slightly and then, stops working.

Any ideas why?
Like the idea of not dealing with points and condensers, and when working is very nice, but.

Click to view attachment
Van B
I put in a pertronix and thought it worked great. I could even see a drift reduction when observing with a timing light.
CCE
QUOTE(Van B @ Feb 21 2023, 01:01 AM) *

I put in a pertronix and thought it worked great. I could even see a drift reduction when observing with a timing light.

Cant figure out why is it blowing the coils, my mechanic say it may be a bad production batch, anyone else using the CV kit?

Thanks

I have. Pertronics distributor here, just need to buy another coil maybe to match. Don’t know wat to do really.
Superhawk996
Does the coil have an internal ballast resistor? About 4 ohms when you measure the coil primary? No ballast resistor = coil runs too hot and shortens the life.
GregAmy
What is the "CB Performance ignition kit"? Is it a Pertronix and a coil? If so, maybe just try a Bosch blue coil? There's a lot of folks out here doing that.
Superhawk996
Hmm - I’d talk to CB Performance. Their coil is low resistance and low impedance. It will pull A LOT of current. A lot more than a Bosch Blue coil. If they designed it for 1 ohm it’s up to them to make sure it can withstand the heat that it will generate.

Not liking 1 ohm primary at all for use with an old school distributor that has long dwell time (time the coil is energized). Low ohm coils like this usually serve only one or maybe two cylinders (in wasted spark application) fuel injection applications. In your application, this coil is trying to serve 4 cylinders. That means the coil is powered with a whole lot more “on” time than whatever application they took this coil from.

Click to view attachment
rfinegan
Yep, I ATE a LOT of coils on the RX8: lots of sparks 8500-9000 rpm

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 21 2023, 09:10 AM) *

Hmm - I’d talk to CB Performance. Their coil is low resistance and low impedance. It will pull A LOT of current. A lot more than a Bosch Blue coil. If they designed it for 1 ohm it’s up to them to make sure it can withstand the heat that it will generate.

Not liking 1 ohm primary at all for use with an old school distributor that has long dwell time (time the coil is energized). Low ohm coils like this usually serve only one or maybe two cylinders (in wasted spark application) fuel injection applications. In your application, this coil is trying to serve 4 cylinders. That means the coil is powered with a whole lot more “on” time than whatever application they took this coil from.

Click to view attachment

76-914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 21 2023, 06:10 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Good call! You're a regular knowledge bank. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
Is that an Autolite distributor?
CCE
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 21 2023, 08:10 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

It is strange they sell it as a kit. confused24.gif

I will try the pertronix for a while. I have it in hand.
CCE
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 21 2023, 12:12 PM) *

Is that an Autolite distributor?

It is the CB performance part.
Click to view attachment
CCE
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 21 2023, 07:17 AM) *

What is the "CB Performance ignition kit"? Is it a Pertronix and a coil? If so, maybe just try a Bosch blue coil? There's a lot of folks out here doing that.

Here is a picture, the price was comprehensive.

Based on the suggestion I will try the Pertronics distributor and 009 coil I have it on hand (I am running away from points and condensers if possible)
Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
My recommendation would be swap the coil only. Why add more uncertainty by swapping multiple components?
GregAmy
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 23 2023, 06:21 AM) *

My recommendation would be swap the coil only. Why add more uncertainty by swapping multiple components?

Ditto. I'm thinking that disty already has electronic "points". And since your prob is dying coils, I'd suggest just tossing a blue coil on it and see what happens. - GA
Superhawk996
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Feb 23 2023, 07:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 23 2023, 06:21 AM) *

Ditto. I'm thinking that disty already has electronic "points".

It does from what I saw on CB website when I was looking up the coil specs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.