Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Fuel Line to Use? My current springs leaks all the time....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Hello again community.....I pulled my gas tank 3-4 years ago and used the supposedly ethanol resistant cool looking cloth covered fuel lines....BIG MISTAKE!! I spring leaks constantly so decided to pull tank again and do it right. How do I do it right? Continental or Gates? Or whatever else you suggest and recommend? I moved my fuel pump up front by the steering rack and have a stock Bosch three port fuel pump....lots of tight bends...please tell me which product is the best against ethanol and also bends easy to avoid kinks? I hate doing this job again so soon but gasoline puddles in the driveway concern me....I don't want to be a picture on the "Car-B-Que' wall of fame....
Thank you very much!!
gg
ndfrigi
Rubber fuel lines for fuel injection, and yes the Barricade that Napa have. Same I will use for my project with carbs. For me they seems great with my previous 75 1.8 FI.
BillJ
If you havent done it already i would in addition suggest getting the stainless lines for the center tunnel. Also make sure to refresh the screen on the bottom of the tank. Cheap insurance and if not done i promise it needs it. Ensure that you use proper fuel line clamps. They have solid sleeves that dont cut into the hose like regular hose clamps. If it were me i would buy the several extra feet to do the rest of the car. Peace of mind and you can go to a BBQ this spring instead of being it.

Oh and make certain they give you the FI gas line. HUGE difference between them pressure-wise and have them double check it is the right stuff. Ask me how i know....
Superhawk996
Be aware that minimum bend radius on Gates Barricade sae30r14 hose is 2.95” while sae30r9 is 0.75”.

Big difference when trying to route under tank and in the steering gear area
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 22 2023, 09:07 AM) *

Be aware that minimum bend radius on Gates Barricade sae30r14 hose is 2.95” while sae30r9 is 0.75”.

I would also recommend the SAE30r9. But be aware it kinks fairly easily. I got around the tight bends under the gas tank by making some hard lines that go from my fuel pump and then back 180 degrees where it connects to the rubber again to go to the tunnel. I kept getting kinks under the tank. 75/76 car with forward mounted fuel pump.

Zach
Jamie
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 22 2023, 06:34 AM) *

I would also recommend the SAE30r9. But be aware it kinks fairly easily. I got around the tight bends under the gas tank by making some hard lines that go from my fuel pump and then back 180 degrees where it connects to the rubber again to go to the tunnel. I kept getting kinks under the tank. 75/76 car with forward mounted fuel pump.

Zach

I don't understand why more people don't bend metal fuel lines into a U shape for under tank installs? Bending metal tube with a cheap jig is a piece of cake, perfect resolution for the steering rack pump relocation. Eliminates any potential problems with rubber fuel line kinks. aktion035.gif
Superhawk996
QUOTE(Jamie @ Feb 22 2023, 09:54 AM) *

I don't understand why more people don't bend metal fuel lines into a U shape for under tank installs? Bending metal tube with a cheap jig is a piece of cake, perfect resolution for the steering rack pump relocation. Eliminates any potential problems with rubber fuel line kinks. aktion035.gif

Valid solution. If I recall Tangerine has a decent selection of these pre-made.
https://tangerineracing.com/shop/ols/produc...e-adapter-piece

Downside: More hose clamps and fittings as potential leak sources. Many folks don’t have tubing cutter, bender and beading tools. Using tubing without a bead on high pressure lines is not a good plan and leads to hose slippage and blowoff potential.

Alternate solution: depending on bend radius needed, sometimes you can put a stainless steel spring inside the line to keep it from collapsing into a link.

Down side: Hose ID is reduced so if you need high flow rate, this is not a good solution. Not always easy to find the right spring and not easy to install.
BillJ
Call Chris for sure if you want a strong solution. He has everything you need. I bought my stuff from him for my 6.
second wind
Thank you all very much. SS tunnel lines are already installed.....I do have a couple U shaped fittings somewhere....as I recall they have a larger radius than a hose would have....are there smaller tighter radius bends available?
gg
zoomCat
External braided hose isn’t inherently unsuited to modern fuels, particularly with the relatively low pressure used by carbs or old school fuel injection used in 914s. There was a particular problem with Cohline 2122, which is still widely available.

Here’s some discussion about that:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-fuel-hose.html

I haven’t heard of any issues with Gates Barricade, but I don’t think it’s the only solution. Personally I’d look for something rated for at least E85.
rhodyguy
For carbs, this line works great. Fits the carb hose barbs and same sized nipple FI fuel filters perfectly. This hose version is NOT FI rated. I buy it at Williams Oil filter Service in Tacoma.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(zoomCat @ Feb 22 2023, 01:43 PM) *

Personally I’d look for something rated for at least E85.

There is no need for E85 rated hose unless OP plans to run E85 (he doesn’t) just as there is no need for hose rated for Methanol unless you plan to run Methanol. As previously stated, we’ve all been living with E10 for a long time. By law, the pump must be marked with what they are selling E10 (common), E15, all the way up to E85. It’s not like any of us will put E85 in, or that the car would even run on E85 without serious driveability issues.

Here are the specs for Continental hose rates SAE30R9 - regardless of who produces it, if it is marked SAE30R9, it will meet SAE minimum specs. Yes, it is rated for up to E85(ethanol extended gasoline).

https://www.continental-engineparts.com/na/...n-Hose-SAE-30R9

Gates Barricade is intended to meet the most recent CARB evaporative emissions. It will work fine (but needs a larger bend radius) but it IS NOT the only acceptable hose for 914 applications. Note: I realise that zoom cat has said the same so don’t take this as directed toward ZoomCat personally.
zoomCat
I am curious what the hose that failed for the OP was, and the failure mechanism. Even R7 is rated for 50 psi working pressure, and I would think that any modern hose would be rated for a minimum of E10. One possibility is heat degradation, but that seems unlikely.
Chris914n6
Gates Barricade. Rated 30r13 IIRC. Reasons are:

1. It's E100 at the loops under the gas tank as the fuel sits and separates.

2. You can use 50psi (what is called 'carb' rated), our system tops at 42psi so it's actually in range. Under the tank there is no pressure. It's only pressurized between the pump and FPR.

3. When Ethanol degrades rubber hose it gets soft in a spot, then it will bulge if under pressure, then eventually split.

I had to replace the hoses in the 914 from only 5 years ago because of #1.
ChrisFoley
plastic spiral wire loom works to support the 5/16" Gates Barricade hose in tight bends
I have a spring overlay that works with the 3/8" Barricade
Root_Werks
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 22 2023, 06:34 AM) *

Zach

Good tips on this thread! I also had a kink develop under tank (75') and replaced with same hose, but longer so the bend was wider. Better hose = less kinking.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.