Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DIY 914 Work Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bkrantz
I decided to duplicate this here in the spirit of sharing. I have been thinking about some sort of cover for the trunk lid and to protect the fenders when working in the engine compartment.

I got some 1/4" wool felt. This should be thick enough and soft enough.
bkrantz
I bought 4 yards of 36" wide felt from Madisound. This turned out to be 1 yard too much.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/acous...y-running-yard/
bkrantz
After some trial and error, I cut the front edge like this.
bkrantz
These different sections tuck under the torsion bars and tube for the engine lid release cable.
bkrantz
A couple of magnets on the upper front corners...
bzettner
Nothing like recreating a quality product that already exists! Of course, we all like to be independently creative beerchug.gif

Check out the Member Vendors section of this great website
bkrantz
The magnets stick onto the targa sails, on the vinyl--I hope this means less chance of scratches.
bkrantz
Here's how it looks. I hope this is enough to protect the trunk lid, even when putting down tools, and protect the fenders from leaning against the paint.

If people are interested, I will sketch out a pattern and make some measurements to share.
Van B
QUOTE(bzettner @ Feb 22 2023, 09:32 PM) *

Nothing like recreating a quality product that already exists! Of course, we all like to be independently creative beerchug.gif

@bzettener unless your seeing a different thread than me, no one is making these anymore.
76-914
Looks like that should do the trick. A scratch or dent at this stage in the game would surely begat some serious cussing, beerchug.gif
arbitrary
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 23 2023, 02:35 AM) *

If people are interested, I will sketch out a pattern and make some measurements to share.

Yes please! beerchug.gif
bzettner
@ironhillrestorations

Brian, I could be wrong or he has stopped making these, but Perry Kiehl was making his well made version of what you are creating. I’m all for creating our own solutions, looks like you’ve solved your challenge! beerchug.gif
mb911
If Perry is not making them anymore I will do a run of them.
maf914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 23 2023, 04:11 AM) *

Ben,

Do you sew as well as you weld? laugh.gif Just kidding.
mlindner
Perry has ask me to make these. More to come. Thanks, Mark
mb911
QUOTE(maf914 @ Feb 23 2023, 02:37 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 23 2023, 04:11 AM) *

Ben,

Do you sew as well as you weld? laugh.gif Just kidding.

No but I have a guy
BuddyV
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 22 2023, 06:21 PM) *

I decided to duplicate this here in the spirit of sharing. I have been thinking about some sort of cover for the trunk lid and to protect the fenders when working in the engine compartment.

Always cool to make something useful......in this case, i would be concerned about this material collecting dirt that could scratch the hell out of the paint while you are leaning on it. Kind of like waxing the car with a dirty sponge.

The packing blanket material seems the best compromise. Soft, but not as "grabby" (is that a word?) of dirt as felt.

But the shape looks perfect.
bkrantz
QUOTE(arbitrary @ Feb 22 2023, 10:38 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 23 2023, 02:35 AM) *

Yes please! beerchug.gif

Will do.
bkrantz
QUOTE(bzettner @ Feb 22 2023, 07:32 PM) *

Interesting. I had not seen this.
Van B
Wouldn’t matter if you had… but also I’m glad you didn’t because now maybe now someone will bring em back!
bkrantz
QUOTE(BuddyV @ Feb 23 2023, 07:11 PM) *

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 22 2023, 06:21 PM) *

Always cool to make something useful......in this case, i would be concerned about this material collecting dirt that could scratch the hell out of the paint while you are leaning on it. Kind of like waxing the car with a dirty sponge.

The packing blanket material seems the best compromise. Soft, but not as "grabby" (is that a word?) of dirt as felt.

But the shape looks perfect.

When I thought about material, I did look at packing blankets. What I saw often included synthetic fibers and threads that could be harder than--and scratch--paint. Plus it would require hemming any cut edges.

I did think about the wool fell picking up dirt, but perhaps no more than other fabrics. Best practice will be to use the cover only on a clean car. And store the cover away from dirt.
ClayPerrine
There is a thread about these in the member vendors section:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=44221

Root_Werks
I bought one of these and it is absolutely a must have for 914 ownership:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.