Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914s and canoes... Ideas on how to get one tied down
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
I am looking fowward to the summer months.. and I like to get out and paddle once in a while.. Any ideas on how to tie a canoe on top of a 914? idea.gif
76-914
Wouldn't it be easier to put the 914 in the canoe? biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
One of my 914s would look good at the bottom of a lake.. biggrin.gif
Superhawk996
Where there is a will there is a way. biggrin.gif Click to view attachment
Superhawk996
I once had a 40’ extension ladder on the 914. No pic of that one. This one was 16 -20’ or so.

Click to view attachment

As long as it’s light weight - just use canoe carrier foam pads and make sure weight is supported mostly by the targa bar.

In the case of the Miata, I had welded a T-bar type thing that fit into a homebrew trailer hitch sort of thing to keep the weight off the convertible top. Only 7 miles of gravel roads to the lake at 35mph or so. Definitely not recommended for highway use: laugh.gif

Not recommended for show cars av-943.gif
Montreal914
Here!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...112231&st=0

Mostly bicycle racks but some kayaks too. Various engineered flavors of racks for your outdoor fun activities! smile.gif
rhodyguy
Get a spare top for the mods you will make and holes you will drill. There’s no turning back once you start. Leave the best one stock.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 23 2023, 09:48 AM) *

Get a spare top for the mods you will make and holes you will drill. There’s no turning back once you start. Leave the best one stock.

agree.gif

If you can get a spare top that's not even in that good of shape, use that, drill your holes, install rack = done!
rhodyguy
Pete, I have a couple. PM sending.
930cabman
maybe you should get an F150 and a hitch to tow the 914
Dlee6205
I used a couple ratchet straps. Two in the middle and one on each end.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
If I was going to try this I would look for the Ski rack that bolts to the rear targa bar, and fastens to the front windshield.
I would not rely upon the targa top….which can blow off, canoe and all.

I might even add some removable cross members to the front and rear bumpers….discrete mounting.

Rich
pete-stevers
QUOTE(Dlee6205 @ Feb 24 2023, 12:59 PM) *

Click to view attachment

What did you tie your rachet straps on the front and rear?
mepstein
I would use another car. Can you do it- probably. Should you do it….I wouldn’t. Sudden stop or strong gust of wind might get you in trouble or damage the car. The A pillars are not very strong.
Dlee6205
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Feb 27 2023, 09:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Dlee6205 @ Feb 24 2023, 12:59 PM) *

What did you tie your rachet straps on the front and rear?

I honestly can't remember... its been a couple years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.