Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Transmission Shift Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jcmatson
I have a 1974 that is experiencing shifting problems. The shifter will not easily slide into first. It will go into all other gears easily, but seems "blocked" from slotting into first. There is no gear grinding. If I shift into reverse first and then pull down it will go into 1st normally most the time. However, if I am trying to downshift from 2nd or above, the 1st gear position is blocked and the shift goes to 3rd gear. I am trying to understand if the problem is with the linkage, simple transmission mx like changing the gear oil or is it time for a rebuild. Thanks in advance for your insights.
rhodyguy
For starters, pull the shifter assem, inspect the detent plate for excessive wear and clean the springs. Just disconnect the shift lever from the front rod. Do not disturb connection items at this point. Index all adj connection points with a fine tip sharpie.
930cabman
welcome.png

Was she shifting good until recently? There is a series of connections from your right hand to the selector rod in the gearbox, often one or more of these connections gets weak (worn)

Can you post pics of your ride?
emerygt350
Sounds like a Porsche.
emerygt350
No seriously, there may be an issue but 1st gear on these is notoriously hard to get in to. However the third thing makes me suspect the detent as mentioned above. Is your stick loose (twisting) at all?
r_towle
Check the plastic cup bushing at the shifter console on the transmission.
Mine fell apart when I took it out, and it’s over 40 years old now..
rhodyguy
Rebushing the entire linkage and using brand new set screws is step #2. I have a couple of shifter assems that makes me wonder how they ever got in to 1/R. Filthy springs with little give. Plates where the hardened edge is dished big in the middle. Levers with wear gouges at the plate contact point. Cheaper than a transmission.
jcmatson
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 23 2023, 03:18 PM) *

Rebushing the entire linkage and using brand new set screws is step #2. I have a couple of shifter assems that makes me wonder how they ever got in to 1/R. Filthy springs with little give. Plates where the hardened edge is dished big in the middle. Levers with wear gouges at the plate contact point. Cheaper than a transmission.

Thank you all for the insights. I will take review the linkage and post my findings. I tried to add a few photos but exceeded size. Will reduce and add a few pics to the post. I rebuild the pedal assembly a few months ago and the clutch improved significantly. So I am hopeful for a linkage refurbishment.
emerygt350
Yeah. The rebuilding of the cab portion is very very easy. Don't be afraid of digging in and taking a look.
930cabman
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 23 2023, 06:18 PM) *

It's mostly a miracle anything works on our 50 y/o machines, especially figuring the number of DAPO's
jcmatson
Here is a quick pic. Click to view attachment
jcmatson
QUOTE(jcmatson @ Feb 23 2023, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Feb 23 2023, 03:18 PM) *

Thank you all for the insights. I will take review the linkage and post my findings. I tried to add a few photos but exceeded size. Will reduce and add a few pics to the post. I rebuild the pedal assembly a few months ago and the clutch improved significantly. So I am hopeful for a linkage refurbishment.

A shift linkage bushing kit and 6 hours of effort got me all shifts crisp and back to normal. At first I did not think the linkage was too sloppy. I realized after that the set screws were not fully seated and the new bushings did tighten up the linkage. Virtually no play from hand to trans. Thanks so much for the spot on info.
rhodyguy
It shifts and you saved 100s of dollars. Win, win in my book.
930cabman
smilie_pokal.gif

Victory always smells fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.