Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributor Rebuilds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914werke
Is there a factory spec / parts sheet for refurbishing a OE distributor?
For instance an exploded diagram showing # of fiber or slider washers ect?
Springs? Wear tolerance? headbang.gif idea.gif
914Sixer
None that I know of.
Highland
Maybe tried vwnos.com. The proprietor seems very knowledgeable and willing to help.
JeffBowlsby
Just send it to Bill @ sparxwerks.com to rebuild. Fantastic work and he has the specialized equipment needed to verify performance.
mgphoto
The rebuild process is documented in the factory repair manual, parts (shims and fiber washers) are available through most VW parts suppliers. Biggest problem with original distributor is the vacuum cans are not available.
I switched to a 123, the issues are gone and I can tune my setup.
Superhawk996
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 24 2023, 11:14 AM) *

The rebuild process is documented in the factory repair manual, parts (shims and fiber washers) are available through most VW parts suppliers. Biggest problem with original distributor is the vacuum cans are not available.
I switched to a 123, the issues are gone and I can tune my setup.

I have to admit you guys are wearing me down on the 123 Distributor. I’m one of the few that doesn’t mind points. But given 123 gets rid of them and can handle D-jet triggering, it’s getting very tempting. idea.gif
914werke
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Feb 24 2023, 08:14 AM) *
The rebuild process is documented in the factory repair manual, parts (shims and fiber washers) are available through most VW parts suppliers. Biggest problem with original distributor is the vacuum cans are not available. I switched to a 123, the issues are gone and I can tune my setup.

Good for you but if I was going to deviate from OG & drop more than 5 bills in the process I go distributor-less. shades.gif
As for the Vacuum cans Ive still got a collection. Thats one reason I opt to service them vs just tossing them.
Ill admit after all these years Ive never bought a set of factory manuals. idea.gif
mgphoto
I have each version of D-Jet dizzy, stock Bosch with points, Bosch with Pertronix and adjustable vacuum can, 123 D-Jet and 123 D-Jet blu tooth.
I’m hooked on the blu tooth version with the app, just wish it would record tuning sessions that I could compare with LM-2 data.
930cabman
Maybe I'm old, or cranky but I still prefer points and carbs thank you
r_towle
Nothing in the clymer manual.

Look for the two or three guys that rebuild 356 distributors….they do ours too
r_towle
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 24 2023, 03:20 PM) *

Maybe I'm old, or cranky but I still prefer points and carbs thank you

Experienced and comfortable with your setup.

914sgofast2
Here is a comprehensive thread from the Samba on how to rebuild the Bosch distributor used in VW Bay Window buses. They are similar to, but NOT the same, as the Bosch distributors used in 914's, because the Buses did not have Djet Fuel injection.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...sc&start=20

They is also a guy on the Samba website who rebuilds all types of Bosch distributors, and sells kits with all the parts needed to do so yourself. However, I could not quickly find a link to his website or name.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.