Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need assistance in Knoxville area TN to move winsdhield from donor 914 to project 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
I could use some help / extra pair of hands moving a donor windshield from rusty donor 914 to my project 2.0. I've already removed the trim on both and loosened both windshields from the factory adhesive.

I'm assuming both windshields were "as installed from the factory". The actual loosening operation took a shockingly small amount of effort to accomplish, like gently prying the glass edge with a 1" wide plastic HF trim tool in the areas that weren't already detached from the factory adhesive bead.

I was going to try to clean the inside of the donor windshield while I had it out and would appreciate any handling tips to reduce the chance of breaking it.
rgalla9146
New safety razors, rolled up towels to use as a base, paper towels, clean kitchen table, mineral spirits,
grease and wax remover, wife out shopping
mepstein
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 24 2023, 10:28 AM) *

New safety razors, rolled up towels, clean kitchen table, mineral spirits,

LOL! So true.
914rrr
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Feb 24 2023, 10:28 AM) *

New safety razors, rolled up towels to use as a base, paper towels, clean kitchen table, mineral spirits,

No way, my wife is a hard core "Monica"!! If she detected the slightest whiff of solvent and or aromatic hydrocarbons in the house I'd be sleeping in the garage for the foreseeable future...
MSGGrunt
I must be a very lucky man, coming in from the garage smelling like exhaust fumes, grease and gasoline is a sure-fire way to get my lady's attention, I think she likes the smell of gasoline more than a nice cologne.
930cabman
QUOTE(MSGGrunt @ Feb 25 2023, 07:58 AM) *

I must be a very lucky man, coming in from the garage smelling like exhaust fumes, grease and gasoline is a sure-fire way to get my lady's attention, I think she likes the smell of gasoline more than a nice cologne.

Wish I had one of those, mine is ready with the rolling pin when I walk in the door with the lightest scent of anything "car"
bkrantz
QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 25 2023, 06:09 AM) *

Wish I had one of those, mine is ready with the rolling pin when I walk in the door with the lightest scent of anything "car"

You guys have to establish an extreme level early on, like when my wife came home to our then apartment and found me brazing an old BMW grille on the kitchen table, just at the moment I set the table edge on fire. Since then the other stuff I bring inside seems reasonable.
78PanamaBrown
QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 25 2023, 10:13 PM) *

QUOTE(930cabman @ Feb 25 2023, 06:09 AM) *

You guys have to establish an extreme level early on, like when my wife came home to our then apartment and found me brazing an old BMW grille on the kitchen table, just at the moment I set the table edge on fire. Since then the other stuff I bring inside seems reasonable.

I know you've already removed your glass, but I learned the easiest way to remove a windshield from a donor car is to use one of those oscillating tools with the putty knife blade. just go in from the inside, starting right at the edge of the glass and push the blade right through the adhesive. you can work your way all the way around in about 10 minutes. I've got a battery operated one now, so I can quickly harvest glass from junkyard cars. The blade also does a good job cleaning the excess adhesive off the glass, then just wrap it in some old blankets and haul it away.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.