Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Show us your fabricated center tunnel / consoles.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Craigers17
I know several of you have fabricated your own aftermarket center console/tunnel areas. I wondered if you could post some pics of your handywork. I'm mostly interested in the part that goes around the shifter back between the seats where the traditional "seat cushion/tray" would be. Thanks in advance! Here's an aftermarket example:

Click to view attachment

sb914
I wanted a coffee holder. Cf,plywood ,and UpholsteryClick to view attachment
r_towle
No pics but mine looks like the one above but taller to accommodate two speakers aimed sideways,
r_towle
And two coffee cups
Montreal914
QUOTE(sb914 @ Feb 26 2023, 07:26 AM) *

Very nice! Care to show the dash face too? smile.gif
Mike Bellis
Boxster shifter under custom fiberglass console. Wire frame and stretched fabric technique.

Click to view attachment
tygaboy
As long as you're OK with "not stock": Numeric Racing Boxster S shifter on a fabricated console cover with cup holders (from the rear seat of a 2004 Dodge RAM 2500!), heated seat switches and a charger port.
DRPHIL914
nothing too special here, a couple stock gauges , an AF meter , heated seat switches and my front driving lights’ switch. also a new leather shifter boot.
ndfrigi

Love your interior buddy Eddy!
Stratfink
Still a work in progress but accommodates my 8" sub and a cupholder. I am inspired by the finish on some of these examples!

Click to view attachment
Craigers17
I appreciate everyone's response so far. Very nice work! Like many of you, I'm thinking of trying to incorporate at least one cup holder into a "stockish" center tray/cushion, but maybe adding some sort of aftermarket tunnel running from the tray over the shifter up to the front. I appreciate the ideas.

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 26 2023, 11:15 PM) *

Love your interior buddy Eddy!

agree.gif
man that is sweet! i hate the lack of a cup holder for sure.
tygaboy
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Feb 27 2023, 02:40 AM) *

I appreciate everyone's response so far. Very nice work! Like many of you, I'm thinking of trying to incorporate at least one cup holder into a "stockish" center tray/cushion, but maybe adding some sort of aftermarket tunnel running from the tray over the shifter up to the front. I appreciate the ideas.

Click to view attachment

@Craigers17 - If you come up with the profile of the tunnel cover you want, your local metal supplier/fab shop can bend you most anything you want. If you're interested or if you can't find local support, let me know and I'd be happy to coordinate with the shop here in Petaluma - or at least hook you up with them.
Root_Werks
Would love to see consoles that solve the cup holder dilemma.
andys
Celica shifter, and Wilwood bias adjuster. I know, it needs a boot.
Andys
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Click to view attachment
Craigers17

@Craigers17 - If you come up with the profile of the tunnel cover you want, your local metal supplier/fab shop can bend you most anything you want. If you're interested or if you can't find local support, let me know and I'd be happy to coordinate with the shop here in Petaluma - or at least hook you up with them.
[/quote]

@Tygaboy ....I appreciate the offer....and might ultimately take you up on it. Right now, I'm still just kicking ideas around. BTW....based upon your work.....I thought YOU were "The" shop in Petaluma when it comes to fabricating and bending things?
bludden
This was in my first 914 many years ago, haven't seen another one.

Click to view attachment
rgolia
Had this in my 914 during my daily driver days 1974 through 1986.
Click to view attachment
Cairo94507
@bludden - That is an AMCO center console. I had one in my '73 2.0 for a while. They were pretty readily available back in the mid-70's. beerchug.gif
MSGGrunt
Now I want one of the AMCO units.
East coaster
I had an AMCO in my old 3.6 car. It was actually very useful and comfortable. Arm rest height was good for shifter and it didn’t encroach on gas pedal area like a factory console. I put my head unit in the console, which cleaned up my dash and I could actually reach it when belted in. I also added a cup holder near shifter.

Click to view attachment
bludden
Someone had seen a picture of mine and wanted to borrow it to make a mold, but I sent him a lot of pictures of it and never heard back. It was very useful as well as light. Not really sure what the rocker switches were for.
MSGGrunt
This needs to be another project for 914 rubber. I guess just keep an eye out on eBay.
CCE
QUOTE(MSGGrunt @ Mar 1 2023, 07:17 PM) *

This needs to be another project for 914 rubber. I guess just keep an eye out on eBay.

Yes you 914rubber guys, just make a jump-seat replacement, that looks just like the original and is not on the wat of someone sitting on it, with a map holder strap, and a cup hole (or two) for under $100, and let me know, would hate to loose the McLaren F1 capability of the temp third companion. rock_band.gif
Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(tygaboy @ Feb 26 2023, 12:26 PM) *

As long as you're OK with "not stock": Numeric Racing Boxster S shifter on a fabricated console cover with cup holders (from the rear seat of a 2004 Dodge RAM 2500!), heated seat switches and a charger port.

i'm voting for this.
and everything else in interior.
its enough to make me want to find a beater 914 down here and turn it into something like that. except there are no beater 914s down here........i think.

i can't do it to the one i have. sad.gif
sarivers2001
Question for the group:

My PO installed a center console in my ‘74 914 2.0L that is similar in many respects to the stock/optional center console that Porsche US appears to have used back when selling the 914s new. However my PO’s choice has offset gauges (like a zig zag) which frankly, I am not loving. And, wore still, he had to saw off a few inches from the top, purportedly due to some HVAC equipment in the car, which isn’t even in the car anymore. It almost seems like a center console for a different model was shoe-horned in.

See pictures.

Question: any good ideas on where to source an original center console of the same style as those sold with the cars back in the day, or alternatively a manufacturer who makes such center consoles identically (or close to) on the aftermarket.

Thoughts? Recommendations?
Thanks in advance, all!
scallyk9
Your center console is correct for the VPC (Volkswagen PC) brand AC underdash unit that was installed in many 914s. The gauge console plate with staggered gauges is what came with the kit. Yours is in great shape and those are hard to find.
sarivers2001
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Aug 23 2023, 10:55 AM) *

Your center console is correct for the VPC (Volkswagen PC) brand AC underdash unit that was installed in many 914s. The gauge console plate with staggered gauges is what came with the kit. Yours is in great shape and those are hard to find.

Thanks for the prompt response!
That’s interesting, had not expected it to be a correct model of console.
Guess I now need to find and have installed a VPC unit…. Was considering adding Ac, but a lot of posts suggest that they are not really worth it. Might be worth it to me just to re-fill that gap in the console!!

Many thanks!
Steven
dwillouby
This is what I had made to cover the Boxster shifter.
DavidClick to view attachment
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Aug 23 2023, 01:54 PM) *

Did you freehand it or do you have a set of plans?

I am looking at something like this for my car, and I have the cayman shifter in it.

Thanks,
Clay
Craigers17
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Aug 23 2023, 11:21 AM) *

Question for the group:

My PO installed a center console in my ‘74 914 2.0L that is similar in many respects to the stock/optional center console that Porsche US appears to have used back when selling the 914s new. However my PO’s choice has offset gauges (like a zig zag) which frankly, I am not loving. And, wore still, he had to saw off a few inches from the top, purportedly due to some HVAC equipment in the car, which isn’t even in the car anymore. It almost seems like a center console for a different model was shoe-horned in.

See pictures.

Question: any good ideas on where to source an original center console of the same style as those sold with the cars back in the day, or alternatively a manufacturer who makes such center consoles identically (or close to) on the aftermarket.

Thanks in advance, all!

I haven't purchased anything from this vendor, and it seems pricey to me, but here's a link to an EBAY ad for what you're looking for it you end up not going with AC, and want the taller version. BTW.....your interior looks awesome!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203447781948?hash=...ABk9SR8LU0MTEYg

....and another link from Auto Atlanta....you'd have to contact them for availability. http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Reprodu...55940210RP.html
dwillouby
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 23 2023, 02:23 PM) *

I am looking at something like this for my car, and I have the cayman shifter in it.

Thanks,
Clay

Clay I had a street rod shop make this. Did it in his spare time. Dont think he has a pattern.

David
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Aug 24 2023, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 23 2023, 02:23 PM) *

Thanks,
Clay

Clay I had a street rod shop make this. Did it in his spare time. Dont think he has a pattern.

David

David,
I was hoping I could steal a copy of the plans for my car.

Thanks Anyway!

Clay
sarivers2001
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Aug 23 2023, 11:54 AM) *

That is beautiful. I wish I was half as handy as most of the folks on this platform!
sarivers2001
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Aug 23 2023, 02:31 PM) *

Question for the group:

See pictures.

Thanks in advance, all!

I haven't purchased anything from this vendor, and it seems pricey to me, but here's a link to an EBAY ad for what you're looking for it you end up not going with AC, and want the taller version. BTW.....your interior looks awesome!

....and another link from Auto Atlanta....you'd have to contact them for availability. http://www.autoatlanta.com/Porsche-Reprodu...55940210RP.html

Many thanks for the response. I’ll definitely check these sites out if I go in the direction of a more stock vertical-line center console, although I keep flip-flopping between doing that vs. actually hunting down an old VPC A/C unit to put into the car.

I don’t suppose anyone has any clever ideas on where one might source a VPC unit time appropriate for a ‘74 914? Does the modern Volkswagen corporation still make replacement equipment/parts for such things? I can’t imagine they do…

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Aug 24 2023, 01:16 PM) *

Question for the group:

See pictures.

Thanks in advance, all!

Many thanks for the response. I’ll definitely check these sites out if I go in the direction of a more stock vertical-line center console, although I keep flip-flopping between doing that vs. actually hunting down an old VPC A/C unit to put into the car.

I don’t suppose anyone has any clever ideas on where one might source a VPC unit time appropriate for a ‘74 914? Does the modern Volkswagen corporation still make replacement equipment/parts for such things? I can’t imagine they do…

check the classifieds forum there was a set up for sale by amember here,
but Retro Air makes a unit i think it uses a blower that goes in the center console rather than under the dash
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(sarivers2001 @ Aug 24 2023, 12:16 PM) *

Question for the group:

See pictures.

Thanks in advance, all!

No, they don't. The facility that made the VPC AC unit was in Fort Worth. My father worked there. Now it is a Traulsen factory. The tooling is long gone for the VPC AC unit.

BIGKAT_83
Quick and dirty, made this one afternoon.
Click to view attachment
flat4guy
Click to view attachment
MikeK
QUOTE(bludden @ Feb 27 2023, 08:57 PM) *

This was in my first 914 many years ago, haven't seen another one.

Click to view attachment

I have this same console in my car. Would it be possible to post a picture of the badge? Mine is missing.

I have no idea what the rocker switches are for, but the ones in my car looked like they were hooked up to the speaker wires to switch them on and off. Mine has a blue, woven upholstery on the arm rest which matches the rest of the interior.
Geezer914
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.