Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Passenger side Headlight motor operation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
potomacmidget
Hello All,

I need some help on my passenger side headlight - specifically the motor operation which has become erratic. It's a well sorted out car from another board member, and I have had it about 10 years. The passenger side light always popped up and recessed a little slower than the other unit, but in the end it fully opened and fully closed so I was certainly not going to mess with it. It now remains about 50% "up", and when I turn of the headlights it closes about 75%. if I use the plastic wheel to crank it down to 'closed" , once it reaches closed it pops up about 3/4 and then goes down to about 1/4 open. It's like its lost its ability to "Home". I swapped the relay from the driver side light and got the same performance. Any ideas appreciated. I have a fair number of spare relays I can test it with again. I tried to upload a video but it was not cooperating....

thanks,
Reg
jim_hoyland
? Possible loose diode connection ? Look for the green wire that enters a black casing. The diode is inside that. Just wiggle the wire to see if it changes the position of the HL
Dave_Darling
Could also be that the linkage rotated on the shaft. I believe that Sir Andy posted instructions on dealing with that? Might take a search to find it.

I would suggest marking the lever arm and the shaft with a pen or such so you know you can set it back to where it was, just in case.

Turn the headlights on to open them up, then unplug the headlight relay on the "sleepy" eye. Then turn the car off again. Remove the nut that holds the arm on the linkage shaft, and slide the arm off. Move the light up, then put the arm back onto the shaft with the light in its current position. Tighten the nut, then put the relay back in and turn the lights to "off".

See if the sleepy one closes to the right spot. If so, turn the car on and turn on the headlights again to check the lifted position.

--DD
potomacmidget
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Feb 28 2023, 12:17 AM) *

Could also be that the linkage rotated on the shaft. I believe that Sir Andy posted instructions on dealing with that? Might take a search to find it.

I would suggest marking the lever arm and the shaft with a pen or such so you know you can set it back to where it was, just in case.

Turn the headlights on to open them up, then unplug the headlight relay on the "sleepy" eye. Then turn the car off again. Remove the nut that holds the arm on the linkage shaft, and slide the arm off. Move the light up, then put the arm back onto the shaft with the light in its current position. Tighten the nut, then put the relay back in and turn the lights to "off".

See if the sleepy one closes to the right spot. If so, turn the car on and turn on the headlights again to check the lifted position.

--DD

Thanks Dave! Thanks Jim! I appreciate the guidance. Will check it out and report back.

Best,
Reg
Type 47
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 27 2023, 05:47 PM) *

? Possible loose diode connection ? Look for the green wire that enters a black casing. The diode is inside that. Just wiggle the wire to see if it changes the position of the HL

I was having a similar issue, all of a sudden, with the pass side headlight. It works up and down properly but won't come up when they are turned on.

you can just start to turn the knob and it will pop up. it returns fine.

After seeing your picture I moved/adjusted the u shaped wire in the black shroud and now it's operating normally.

I will not touch that wire again.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Type 47 @ Feb 28 2023, 02:40 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Feb 27 2023, 05:47 PM) *

I was having a similar issue, all of a sudden, with the pass side headlight. I works up and down properly but won't come up when they are turned on.

you can just start to turn the knob and it will pop up. it returns fine.

After seeing your picture I moved/adjusted the u shaped wire in the black shroud and now it's operating normally.

I will not touch that wire again.

It’s not easy to solder the wire due to the limited space to work; I removed the light and did the repair. BTW, there’s two; one for each headlamp
potomacmidget
Hi All - just a brief follow up - turns out Dave was right and the nut was loose on the shaft and it had shifted. After some back and forth they now go up and down as a pair. Thanks again for the help.

Best,
Reg
TROJANMAN
I think I clicked on the wrong thread. I thought it read erotic........ laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.