Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Safety
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eden's Ashes
I am seriously thinking of getting my hands on a 914, but I have heard that they are rather unsafe. What can one do to improve this shortcoming, in addition to a cage?

Any response is greatly appreciated.
ArtechnikA
they're not unsafe, except when poorly maintained.

when properly maintained, they are no less safe than 35 year old car.
they are from an era when collisions were to be avoided rather than passively survived; this is why they have excellent brakes and handling.

they have several other safety-oriented features, such as crumple zones and the Z-fold steering column.

just about every modification that can be made in the name of safety has an unsafe downside. safety is not something that can be added in; it is part of a system of design.

in particular, make sure you carry a fire extinguisher in the car (advice i give the operator of ANY fuel-injected vehicle of any age) and make sure your tires and brakes are up to snuff, along with your lights and HORN (visibility can be an issue in these days of mega-SUV's).
Ferg
I've seen some big wreckage from a T'Bone type accident where the 914 front crumpled very well, and driver walked away...

That being said, taking a side hit by a SUV with tall bumpers is not something I would want to try. But that would hold ture in a miata, mr2 sypyer, or any other small sub 2500 pound car.

Ferg.
TravisNeff
You have a trunk in front and in the rear, so rear enders and frontal impacts have a crush zone. As for a side impact a later model car (73+) have a safety beam along the door. If you are comparing a 30 year old car to a new one today there is a night and day difference. I feel pretty safe in mine, except for a t-bone or rollover
tdgray
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Aug 11 2005, 04:23 PM)
I feel pretty safe in mine, except for a t-bone or rollover

Then we should call you T-Bone rolleyes.gif

Chanting... T-Bone, T-Bone, T-Bone

Sorry obscure Seinfeld reference. biggrin.gif
redshift
Safe?

Everything weighs more than you, and is taller than you, and is faster than you.

The driving style is alot like dogfighting, your situational awareness is your airbag.

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 11 2005, 01:29 PM)
Safe?

Everything weighs more than you, and is taller than you, and is faster than you.

The driving style is alot like dogfighting, your situational awareness is your airbag.

M

harnesses and door bars make me feel marginally safer.....

SUV's scare me....
merrill
I have had 2 people walk up to me at gas stations and tell me how they totaled theirs (or their family members) 914 and walked away with scratches. I also worked with a guy who was stationed in Germany and went head on with a wall in his, no injuries smilie_pokal.gif HOw UNsafe are they confused24.gif
Ferg
Go to Bowslby's page and look at the pics, each one demontrates IMO how well the cabin area held up in a severe crash.

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...bles/Wrecks.htm
TravisNeff
T-bone? was that the guy with the broken thumbs?
redshift
I wouldn't use a few pics of 'glad they made it' situations, to base 'how safe is it' answers on.

You should see the ones you haven't.

M
Dan_F
I recently got t-boned by a Toyota Tercel. Speed limit in the area was 70km/h (~45mph) and I'm sure he was doing at least that to beat the amber light. I walked away with zero injuries and drove the car home. If I had a passenger, they would have probably broke an arm and had some cuts from the glass but I'm not sure if that would be much different in any newer small car (The Tercel was destroyed).

As others have said, the best thing you can do is pay attention and drive safe. Physics will apply in a collision and a 914 is among the smallest and lightest vehicles on the road. I, personally don't feel any less safe than driving a newer vehicle of the same size.

Here is a pic of the 914... I was spun 180 degrees.

Brian Mifsud
If you've ever driven a motorcycle, then you know what is feels like to be "invisible". However, in a 914, there is no significant power to motor away from a swerving cell-phone talking time bomb, so I use the brakes alot and lane changes to get away.

I've taken a tip from a CHP Officer when they still taught the driver safety courses. When he's concerned for his own safety from an erratic driver, speeding truck, or oncoming traffic, he FIRST makes sure that there is ANOTHER car between him and the "offending" vehicle before he gets on the radio or other distracting pre-pullover tasks...

The squeal of brakes and the face of a panicing/screaming woman filling my rear view mirror who just noticed traffic (and I) were stopped left me in a pretty vulnerable position (I was too close to car in front of me to get out of the way).

My '76 5MPH bumpers sure did their job very well. No damage to car except 1 crushed rear licence plate light.

Ferg
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 11 2005, 12:44 PM)
I wouldn't use a few pics of 'glad they made it' situations, to base 'how safe is it' answers on.

You should see the ones you haven't.

M

Good Point.
GTeener
QUOTE (Ferg @ Aug 11 2005, 12:37 PM)
Go to Bowslby's page and look at the pics, each one demontrates IMO how well the cabin area held up in a severe crash.

Have you searched this club site for all the members that have scrumpled their 914s live to post the tale ohmy.gif

BTW-they are SUPER SAFE in your garage on jack stands biggrin.gif
redshift
I have a few hours of seat time in teeners, and I am just saying, the only thing safe about a teener is the driver, or not.

I have been off-road uncountable times, saving several asses, and then making myself seen CLEARLY.

finger.gif YO DUMBASS! CAR HERE FUQWAD!

M

lapuwali
This subject comes up from time to time, and it really comes down to your definition of "safe".

My 1967 912 didn't even come with seat belts as standard equipment. My 1963 Mini would fold up into a small steel ball if a Civic hit it. I wouldn't want to be hit by much of anything on any of the dozen motorcycles I've owned. As far as I'm concerned, all of these vehicles are "safe". They drive predictably, and are unlikely to suffer a sudden failure that would cause me to lose control. As far as I'm concerned, that's as safe as I need them to be. I'm sure Ralph Nader would disagree. I'm also sure Ralph Nader wouldn't be thinking much about CRASH safety if he ever found himself dumped into Corvair owner's club meeting, either...
merrill
Man, where did Bowlsby get all those pics ohmy.gif
Gustl
QUOTE (Ferg @ Aug 11 2005, 10:37 PM)

user posted image

this car belongs (belonged idea.gif ) to Robert, a friend of mine
he had this crash at about 70 mph ohmy.gif
Robert and his little son (about 4 yrs at the accident IIRC) had no injury blink.gif

sanman
they are safe.No one will hit you with the car on jack stands in your garage laugh.gif
GS9146Driver
I do remember that the frontal crashworthiness is dependent on having a spare tire in the horizontal position. ie: no collapsable spares.
Kinda makes sense, more to crush!
Geo
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (GS9146Driver @ Aug 11 2005, 02:44 PM)
I do remember that the frontal crashworthiness is dependent on having a spare tire in the horizontal position. ie: no collapsable spares.
Kinda makes sense, more to crush!
Geo

that is, if your bumper (being lower than most of the soccer mom SUV's and Vans) even makes contact with the other car.....or if you just end up under them....

AA
Hammy
914's roll over? blink.gif
lapuwali
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 11 2005, 02:48 PM)

Only if they go off-road and dig in...
Crazyhippy
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 11 2005, 02:48 PM)

Even then the targa bar (when new) would hold twice the weight of the car, adn it's right next to your head.

I feel safer in a teen than a Miata driving.gif or an MGB lol2.gif or... lots of little cars.
Mueller
QUOTE (Eden's Ashes @ Aug 11 2005, 01:11 PM)
I am seriously thinking of getting my hands on a 914, but I have heard that they are rather unsafe. What can one do to improve this shortcoming, in addition to a cage?

Any response is greatly appreciated.

did you really hear that or did you just make the assumption due to the car being small and old??

If told by someone else, do they have an agenda or just a dislike for these cars, or was it a 16 year old kid down the street??

like many others have said, the key thing is to drive defensively (no matter what car or truck you drive)

one thing to keep in mind is that these cars are old and not all owners fix things to the same standards..a car that looks great from the outside could be waiting to fold in half due to rust damage that is hidden (sometime on purpose)...be careful when buying a 914 !!!!

ClayPerrine
I have been hit in my 914 twice. Both times by 3/4 Ton Ford pickups. Both times I was sitting still. And both times I drove the car home. Worst thing I ever got was a bruise from the seat belt.

Once was a rear ender, and the pickup left a perfect impression of a Ford push bumper and his license plate.

Second time was into the driver's door and front fender, centering on the A-pillar.

Still have the 914.

ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 11 2005, 06:48 PM)
914's roll over?

i've seen it happen twice.

once to a car in my storage unit...
grantsfo
I think as long as your looking at a front or rear end collision these cars are surprisingly safe for their size and weight. I was rear ended by a 1970 Mach 1 Mustang who was doing about 40 MPH when he hit me. I walked away and the 914 was repairable. Side impacts are not going to be anywhere near as safe as modern cars.

As others have mentioned rust has compromised many 914's so you need to be real careful about avoiding cars with lots of rust issues.
blabla914
Hey, even a 914 on jackstands could fall on you!

I originally come from New Jersey. I used to commuted 40 miles each way for a year in my 914 up the turnpike to the GWB to from North Plainfield to Rockliegh NJ. Lots of traffic and lots of big trucks.

After that experience, all I can say is this. It's a LOT safer than a motorcycle. You need to decide if that's good enough.

Kelly
MartyYeoman
I seem to remember seeing pictures of a 914 that had saiiled over an open
drawbridge. The three pasengers were sitting near the car getting arrested,
shaken but not broken.

"Dont worry we can make it. I saw them do it on the TV....."
screwy.gif
bondo
QUOTE (Marty Yeoman @ Aug 11 2005, 05:02 PM)
I seem to remember seeing pictures of a 914 that had saiiled over an open
drawbridge. The three pasengers were sitting near the car getting arrested,
shaken but not broken.

"Dont worry we can make it. I saw them do it on the TV....."
screwy.gif

That's on Bowlsby's site, under "stupid 914 tricks". Yes, THREE people were in it! laugh.gif
redshift
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 11 2005, 07:39 PM)
QUOTE (Hammy @ Aug 11 2005, 06:48 PM)
914's roll over?

i've seen it happen twice.

once to a car in my storage unit...

While it was in storage?

smile.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.