Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tacos anyone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doobie123
hi ya'll
working on my 75, 2.0 5spd and i'm having a issue with the taco plate.
the car had a plug in the plate where the sensor goes so i want to put a sensor in. got a new sensor, gasket, and o ring from auto atlanta,(thanks george and albert) and when i put the sensor on the plate, i discovered that it wont fit in the space where it should go into the sump. i've enclosed a few pics of the parts i.m dealing with and also a shot of where the sensor is hitting the inside of the sump. i know it should go in pointing in the direction of the crank but, it won't fit in either direction.
so whats wrong? can i cut the sensor to make it fit or space it so there is more clearence? none of those sound right but maybe thats it?
anyway, any help would be great.
thanks
doobie123
more picClick to view attachment
doobie123
one more
914werke
It should fit, the O-ring will compress. But may not fix your leaking problem.
That plate looks to have been beat on a bit (note dent) & you dont show the cover ?
I do have a solution though idea.gif
ClayPerrine
doobie123 - I merged all three threads into this one.

Instead of starting a new thread, just reply to this one when you have more to add.

biggrin.gif
doobie123
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Feb 28 2023, 03:13 PM) *

doobie123 - I merged all three threads into this one.

Instead of starting a new thread, just reply to this one when you have more to add.

biggrin.gif

Ok thanks for doing that!
doobie123
Hey rich, thanks for the reply
I have the o ring and the paper gasket and George from AS is gonna find me a cover.
So the o ring doesn't seem to make a difference.
What's your idea?
wonkipop
looks to me like you got sensor wrong way around?
914werke
QUOTE(doobie123 @ Feb 28 2023, 01:24 PM) *
I have the o ring and the paper gasket and George from AA is gonna find me a cover. So the o ring doesn't seem to make a difference? What's your idea?
Dont spend more to find the cover, replace it HERE. You just need the plate vs the assembly as you can use the existing sender.
happy11.gif
As was mentioned you may just have it 180 out.
But...
Click to view attachment
doobie123
hey rich,
looks like the plate you have is the answer, so, just to confirm, i won't need the cover and the sensor goes straight in so there should be no clearance issues correct?
914werke
QUOTE(doobie123 @ Feb 28 2023, 04:03 PM) *

hey rich,
looks like the plate you have is the answer, so, just to confirm, i won't need the cover and the sensor goes straight in so there should be no clearance issues correct?

100% aktion035.gif
technicalninja
QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 28 2023, 04:11 PM) *

I have the o ring and the paper gasket and George from AA is gonna find me a cover. So the o ring doesn't seem to make a difference? What's your idea?
Dont spend more to find the cover, replace it HERE. You just need the plate vs the assembly as you can use the existing sender.
happy11.gif
But...
Click to view attachment

I just pulled one of these out of a 73 2.0 and it is identical to what is in the picture, dent and all.
I prefer 914werke's Taco plate as well but what's pictured should have been installable.
It is not installed backwards either.
My unit's sensing element (inside case) goes into a large recess and is pointing towards the flywheel.
I believe the pictured plate has been overtightened in the past and is bent upwards at the bolt holes.
FlacaProductions
What should these be torqued to in order to not over-tighten?
914werke
7-9 ft lbs using new copper crush washers
wonkipop
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Feb 28 2023, 07:42 PM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 28 2023, 04:11 PM) *

happy11.gif
But...
Click to view attachment

I just pulled one of these out of a 73 2.0 and it is identical to what is in the picture, dent and all.
I prefer 914werke's Taco plate as well but what's pictured should have been installable.
It is not installed backwards either.
My unit's sensing element (inside case) goes into a large recess and is pointing towards the flywheel.
I believe the pictured plate has been overtightened in the past and is bent upwards at the bolt holes.

interesting when you look closely.
its an inverted taco plate from ones i was aware of.
ones i have seen have the housing as a formed dimple that extends out and down from taco, that one is actually formed in - can see that now by profile of lid itself around edges. have i got that right?

ones i am familiar with.

standard non temp plate.

Click to view attachment

oil temp sensor equipped plate.

Click to view attachment
914werke
I refer to non sending ones as "blanking" plates.
wonkipop
QUOTE(914werke @ Feb 28 2023, 11:27 PM) *

I refer to non sending ones as "blanking" plates.

biggrin.gif
very accurate characterisation.
a bit like the handbrake warning flasher - blanking flasher for temp gauge in 6 or 2.0 smile.gif

PET calls them both lids. as if the engine was an upside down jar of vegemite.
german-lish!
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 28 2023, 09:20 PM) *

ones i have seen have the housing as a formed dimple that extends out and down from taco, that one is actually formed in - can see that now by profile of lid itself around edges. have i got that right?

Nope. The one that extends out and down is the cover plate. It goes below the earlier plate with the bump inward. So you use both of them. You only see the cover plate when it is installed in the car, though.

--DD
bkrantz
A bit OT, but where does the taco plate design come from? Why not just a recessed threaded hole in the case for the (optional) temp sensor? Does the large diameter hole provide access for something else?
wonkipop
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Mar 1 2023, 08:34 PM) *

QUOTE(wonkipop @ Feb 28 2023, 09:20 PM) *

Nope. The one that extends out and down is the cover plate. It goes below the earlier plate with the bump inward. So you use both of them. You only see the cover plate when it is installed in the car, though.

--DD

aha

the outer one is the so called breeze shield?

i don't have one of these, standard 1.8, but interested to know as was thinking maybe to install one and 2.0L style lhs instrument. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.