Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Restoration question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob Wolcott
What is the best product for sealing the seams on a 914? I had mine dipped some time ago and it took everything off right to the bare metal. I'm looking for something that will get in seams, nooks, and crannies and NEVER come off. Also, undercoating product recommendations would be appreciated as well. Is POR-15 good stuff?

Thanks,
Bob
TimT
get brushable seam sealer. you can apply it to the seams with a stiff bruch, or putty knife.

You should be able to get it at a local auto paint supply house
Lou W
TimT   Posted on Aug 11 2005, 01:48 PM get brushable seam sealer. you can apply it to the seams with a stiff bruch, or putty knife.

You should be able to get it at a local auto paint supply house

agree.gif

I've used the brush on and the caulking type. You can also get it in a spray-on application, which I think looks more original, there are inexpensive spray guns available for the spray-on type.

I used "Rust Bullet" I was very happy with it and would recomend it. A lot of people here use Por-15, and most are pleased with the results.

Make sure you take pictures. smile.gif
Jeroen
[hijack]
can you tell some more about the rust bullet?
from what I've read, the aplication is a lot easier than por-15
how's it holding up?
[/hijack]
914fire
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif i finally got it done before anyone else!! beerchug.gif
Lou W
Here is a link to Rust Bullet, I've sprayed it and brushed it, nice finish, easy to paint over, does not peel or do anything wierd.

Rust Bullet
flesburg
Some dipping companies leave a milky white (phosporous?) coating on the products that they dip. My stripped tub had that on it and was primed over the coating, with a laquer (sp?) automotive primer. It was 20 years ago, and the primer stuck to it. When I stripped some off last winter the metal was still as clean as it was 20 years ago. If the metal is clean and without rust, POR15 may be overkill. I think it works best on rusty metal, and then primer and then paint. I like POR15, but would just use etching primer on clean, rust free metal.

3M makes an undercoating that works well, and can be painted over, and they also make a caulk type body sealer. Have used them both.

My 2 cents worth, and worth every penny!
Lou W
If the metal is clean and without rust, POR15 may be overkill. I think it works best on rusty metal, and then primer and then paint. I like POR15, but would just use etching primer on clean, rust free metal.

3M makes an undercoating that works well, and can be painted over, and they also make a caulk type body sealer. Have used them both.

My 2 cents worth, and worth every penny!

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.