Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't find SAE 30 R9 fuel line....Where to buy?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
second wind
Changing out all fuel lines due to constant leaks....want to use SAE 30 R9 as recommended but not finding the real deal by Gates or Continental....please advise where to buy the real deal....live in Los Angeles California...thank you very much!
gg
Mikey914
Pelican? Relatively "local"
Superhawk996
Amazon - buy Continental hose in bulk 25’ roll and resell? About $118 for a 25’ roll of 5/16” (8mm) line. I would avoid the no name or anything branded “Evil” on Amazon but that’s just me.

Looks like Autozone sells Continental brand “fuel injection” hose by the foot on-line? I would be surprised if they didn’t stock it in store. Just ask to see the hose and make sure it is marked SAE30R9. Doesn’t have to be Continental brand but iI would want it from reputable brand like Continental, Gates, Goodyear.

Seems odd to me that you can’t find it locally in your area?
Click to view attachment
JamesM
QUOTE(second wind @ Mar 1 2023, 11:56 PM) *

Changing out all fuel lines due to constant leaks....want to use SAE 30 R9 as recommended but not finding the real deal by Gates or Continental....please advise where to buy the real deal....live in Los Angeles California...thank you very much!
gg

My understanding is the only difference in the R9 vs r14 spec is r14 has less fuel permeability. Just be sure whatever you get is rated for injection/high pressure and not carburation.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/eng...4219-05652.html
Superhawk996
QUOTE(JamesM @ Mar 2 2023, 10:27 AM) *

QUOTE(second wind @ Mar 1 2023, 11:56 PM) *

gg

My understanding is the only difference in the R9 vs r14 spec is r14 has less fuel permeability. Just be sure whatever you get is rated for injection/high pressure and not carburation.

https://www.gates.com/us/en/fluid-power/eng...4219-05652.html

Without complete rehash of last thread - your statement is correct. R14 addresses permeability and that hose is not as flexible as R9. R14 can come in high pressure and low pressure versions - it’s up to the supplier to clearly define what pressure the R14 hose is rated for. Gates does has a fuel injection version of barrier hose. Again, buyer beware and make sure you get the fuel injection hose version of it if you go to R14.
VaccaRabite
R9 is really flexible. Like so flexible it tends to kink up around tight bends. Not a huge deal, I'm using it on my car. But under the front trunk I made up some hardlines that bend 180 degrees from the fuel pump back to the tank. Easy!

*edit*
Now that I think about it I can't recall if I'm using r9 or r14. But I do remember how easy it kinked under the tank.

Zach
mb911
I guess I didn’t realize there was so many different hoses available. I have some choline 10 bar hose on my 928 and was thinking about that for my EFI project.
zoomCat
The 911 folks have some anecdotal reports of failure in cars with infrequent usage. One possibility is e10 fuel suffering from phase separation and effectively becoming e100 at low points, I don’t know enough to speak with real authority.

Looking at various fuel line lately, and even the carb stuff appears to have enough pressure rating for jetronic injection.

Here’s the discussion over on Pelican:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...-fuel-hose.html
Superhawk996
QUOTE(zoomCat @ Mar 2 2023, 07:08 PM) *

The 911 folks have some anecdotal reports of failure in cars with infrequent usage. One possibility is e10 fuel suffering from phase separation and effectively becoming e100 at low points, I don’t know enough to speak with real authority.

Looking at various fuel line lately, and even the carb stuff appears to have enough pressure rating for jetronic injection.

For the record - I am no fan of ethanol.

However, when the phase separation occurs you do not get E100. What you have is ethanol molecules bonded to water molecules. Up to 3 water molecules can bind to a single ethanol molecule. So what you have is a mix of ethanol bound to water. That combined molecule has higher density than gasoline, therefore it falls out of suspension and sinks. But let’s be clear, it is not E100. more like E50 if we have 1 molecule of water combining with 1 molecule of water. Even less if we got the full 3 molecules of water bonding to each molecule of ethanol. Somewhere in chemistry I probably learned how to calculate this better but honestly I was never great at chemistry and became a mechanical engineer. Chemical engineers get paid way more - I screwed up. laugh.gif

There is quite a bit of debate as to whether this ethanol water mix is effective at attacking elastomers like hose as is the E10 alcohol dissolved in the gasoline.

Clearly the water that is in the tank or bonded with the ethanol is still able to attack and corrode metals. Not a good thing.

Let’s also put numbers to this. 20 gallons of E10 can hold about 0.6 pint of water per 20 gallons of gasoline E10 mix. Next time you are at Home Depot, look at the size of a 1/2 pint can of stain. Now imagine that as a percentage of the 16 gallon tank in a 914.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want that in my tank but it’s a relatively small amount and that only results IF you get 100% phase separation.

Phase separation needs water in the tank to occur. Store your gas tank full to minimize the amount of condensation (from ambient humidity) that can get in your gas which can then begin the phase separation process. This is not new, even if you have pure gasoline, you can still get ambient humidity condensing easily in a metal tank. You will still end up with water at the bottom of your gas tank. Not good.

Moral of the story, store your tank full of ethanol free gasoline if possible. Regardless of what is in the tank - make sure it is full.
r_towle
Moral of the story,
Always ask the mechanical engineer
76-914
QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Mar 2 2023, 04:47 PM) *

QUOTE(zoomCat @ Mar 2 2023, 07:08 PM) *

For the record - I am no fan of ethanol.

However, when the phase separation occurs you do not get E100. What you have is ethanol molecules bonded to water molecules. Up to 3 water molecules can bind to a single ethanol molecule. So what you have is a mix of ethanol bound to water. That combined molecule has higher density than gasoline, therefore it falls out of suspension and sinks. But let’s be clear, it is not E100. more like E50 if we have 1 molecule of water combining with 1 molecule of water. Even less if we got the full 3 molecules of water bonding to each molecule of ethanol. Somewhere in chemistry I probably learned how to calculate this better but honestly I was never great at chemistry and became a mechanical engineer. Chemical engineers get paid way more - I screwed up. laugh.gif

There is quite a bit of debate as to whether this ethanol water mix is effective at attacking elastomers like hose as is the E10 alcohol dissolved in the gasoline.

Clearly the water that is in the tank or bonded with the ethanol is still able to attack and corrode metals. Not a good thing.

Let’s also put numbers to this. 20 gallons of E10 can hold about 0.6 pint of water per 20 gallons of gasoline E10 mix. Next time you are at Home Depot, look at the size of a 1/2 pint can of stain. Now imagine that as a percentage of the 16 gallon tank in a 914.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want that in my tank but it’s a relatively small amount and that only results IF you get 100% phase separation.

Phase separation needs water in the tank to occur. Store your gas tank full to minimize the amount of condensation (from ambient humidity) that can get in your gas which can then begin the phase separation process. This is not new, even if you have pure gasoline, you can still get ambient humidity condensing easily in a metal tank. You will still end up with water at the bottom of your gas tank. Not good.

Moral of the story, store your tank full of ethanol free gasoline if possible. Regardless of what is in the tank - make sure it is full.

This is why GA pilots always take a sample off each tank during pre-flight inspection. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.