Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type 4 turbo kits - time machine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
Just went thru some archives and found me (L) and old friend Blue Kyle doing up the final prototyping on the 1975 2.0 T4 msds turbo system. This was approx Summer 1975 (hot feet maybe ?) .We spent the year making the prototypes for the 1.7, 1.8, 2.0 and 2.0 (late HB's) . My black car (2.0) appeared as "Turbomania" in "VW Greats" June, 1976.
Kits were made to be a DIY installation , and we opened the doors as MSDS in May, 1976. The turbos were sucessfully sold for about 10 years, the list price was less than $1,000.00 for a complete kit. As time went by, it was more feasable to convert to six cyl power...so the turbo kits went into obsolescence sad.gif
This is the underside of a '75 2.0, custom installed for Howard Leight.
Mueller
cool pray.gif

sandels in the shop??? gotta be California biggrin.gif
Mueller
We know MS part, what about DS? what or who?
bd1308
thanks.

smile.gif
bd1308
QUOTE (Mueller @ Aug 11 2005, 06:46 PM)
cool pray.gif

sandels in the shop??? gotta be California biggrin.gif

yeah here in KY we have this thing called OSHA...

they dont like people wearing sandals in shops.
Maltese Falcon
...Nuther- this is what the engine compartment looked like with the system installed on my black '74 2.0. Kits were then QC'd and pre-assembled. Packed into custom boxes, too big for UPS, we had them truck freighted (U.S.) or Air freighted overseas.
The "Beer Can" coil cover is proll'y something left over from my drag racing days beerchug.gif
Maltese Falcon
...last one for now- I frequently drove the '74 turbo at Riverside Raceway in POC, this helped me sort things out- and take on 911s. Stock 911s were always in my crosshairs. I could easily reel them in with my 165 rwhp @8 psi boost and a basically neutral lightweight car. This little engine "That could" started showing abuse to the turbo after 15,000 miles, and was eventually replaced by a 2.7 CIS single turbo. That was the start of my six cyl addiction screwy.gif
Turbomania graphics on the front spoiler were my early airbrush efforts !
Got Boost ?
Marty
Maltese Falcon
Mike- MSDS, inc. Martin Schneider Design Systems

Britt- That's a tough one- I'm still wearing sandals today (so does Aaron !), I've got this California sandal tan line on my feet- it goes with my blue jeans and tee shirt. When I dress in a tie/ suit for trade shows I feel weird.
BTW, the guy in the first jpeg- Blue (real name is Orville) and he's from Kentucky. He made the BEST moonshine in a Sparkletts 5 gal dispenser, and he made me wear sandals eveyday ; ) OSHA ?, I was more afraid of the BATF !
peace/ out
...and another old R-I-R pic circa 1987
Marty
bd1308
whats that doplar satellite looking thing in the engine compartment?
Brad Roberts
Good stuff Martin!! I love the old shots/pics.

B
LukeD
Looks like a re-designed and relocated air filter
bd1308
*foot-in-mouth*

didn't even see that one....

Maltese Falcon
Britt - It's a "Filtron" brand air cleaner , used on VW sandrails of the day. I installed all of the engine breathers in the upper semi-circle of the "Baseplate", and then stood it on its end. Air doesn't care if its filtered up down sideways or whatever---just kept away from ingesting dirt, heat and water.
Brad- old pics are like good music (when you were growin up) that you want to hear all the time -- takes you back ; )
Marty
redshift
I remember, so many times, reading about cars with your rig, and seeing you credidted in everything, and seeing your car, and.. and here you are..

Did you ever imagine you'd get a chance to actually find me on the internet?

laugh.gif

All good stuff, Martin, thanks for all the memories too.

M
iamchappy
I followed along with all the news back in the day about you and your car with hopes of turbo charging my 73 2.0.
I have a nice sandal tan line, I too work on my car with them on I stubbed my damn toe in them today out in the garage.

Marty you created all of the monster turbo ideas in us.
newto914s
How did you handle the fuel enrichment on the d-jet? Tweek the mps and/or rig up something to activate the cold start injector? That would be my guess.
Looks sweet beer.gif to bad their arn't anymore of those kits laying around.

Samson
rhodyguy
noting the kits in boxes, did the setup require switching to late style he's? did the foam mat in the trunk melt? if you've never posted them, i'd like to see a photo or 2 of the 2cab with the LT-1.

k
URY914
How many kits total did you sell?

I also remember articles about you in the old mags.
Glad to have you here. beer.gif

Paul
Maltese Falcon
...The forum here is a great vehicle where everyone sees and learns. I came on board after last years GAF in Ventura ('sup Allan !), and sharing my knowledge with other 914 gearheads is a No Brainer biggrin.gif
I've got one old friend from high school that makes his living restoring mopar muscle cars. He charges by 15 minute increments just to speak to him on the phone headbang.gif
So--some answers: The turbo kits wre all built to 1.7/ 1.8/ 2.0 or late HB 2.0 specs... all built to be a DIY system for the average guy in his garage. So basically kits were built "Dedicated" to thier engine-year-HB family. Fuel enrichment was done with a pressure switch actuating the 5th inj. via a resistance circuit.
OE timing and CR's were almost perfect in these T4s ! The system used a Rajay turbo, which was flowed for the max 6,500 rpm of the engine- which ran EGTs and overall engine bay/ undercar temps almost like stock--nothing melting anywhere cool_shades.gif I don't know if the jigs are in storage, or lost during 3 shop moves in 30 years- but a good tune/ fab shop should have NO issues building this simple turbo system with todays products. We sold ( inc. installs) about 200 systems. Luckily we built other exhaust items in order to keep the doors open !
The LT1 powered VW double cab, there's a couple pics of that on our site, just clicky link to our www below, then see project vehicles. It's good on power, it just doesn't like to launch hard --it's an axle buster blink.gif
I'll dig up some more old pics and post over on Brad's Old Picture topic.
peace/out
Marty
Sammy
In high school a friend had a turbocharged 2 liter, I always thought it was a crown or a bernie bergmann system, but after seeing your pictures I think it was yours, if my CRS isn't kicking in.
That was the car that inspired me to do it.

BTW, you can't turbocharge a 914 wink.gif
airsix
QUOTE (Sammy @ Aug 12 2005, 02:10 PM)

Wouldn't it be cool though if you could? That would be really something. ::daydreamy::
-Ben M.
ematulac
QUOTE (airsix @ Aug 12 2005, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (Sammy @ Aug 12 2005, 02:10 PM)

Wouldn't it be cool though if you could? That would be really something. ::daydreamy::
-Ben M.

laugh.gif

In that case, you guys must be figments of Miles' imagination.
redshift
I am convinced that reality is just a big tent full of clowns.

rolleyes.gif

M
SpecialK
Cool pics and website Marty! beer.gif

So where can I buy one of those 5" - 500hp exhausts? chairfall.gif
Maltese Falcon
Kevin...get yer 5" exhaust tips right here bro: www.ricecop.com or www.beaterz.com. Just make sure that you are NOT eating over your keyboard when you view those sites barf.gif
And that aftermarket eclipsed over $170.00 million in '04 Oh well
Too Fat Too Furious screwy.gif
Marty
bondo
QUOTE (Maltese Falcon @ Aug 12 2005, 11:05 AM)

The LT1 powered VW double cab, there's a couple pics of that on our site, just clicky link to our www below, then see project vehicles. It's good on power, it just doesn't like to launch hard --it's an axle buster blink.gif

What trans are you using in that guy? Stock vanagon trans? I've been wondering why nobody has tried vanagon trannies in 914 v8 conversions. They seem to be pretty tough, and different ratios are plentiful.

Any mods to the LT1?

(I'm putting an LT1 in my 914)
bondo
Hmm, I should have read your signature more carefully. smile.gif
avendlerdp
I like the shop "shoes" in the firt picture. Ah, the 70's!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.