Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914 with 3.2ss
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mate914
I just became the proud new owner of a 1970 914 that has been converted into a track car for the past 20 years. It has a tangerine racing roll cage. Boxster front brakes, alpha rear brakes without the emergency brake. It is a 3L case with 3.2 J&E pistons,EMS cylinders and PMO carbs. I think it has a S camshaft. It is a blast to drive.
The first few things I need to take care of are oil change, fuel lines and fluids. The next thing is installing engine sheet metal, cylinder head temp gauge and replacing parts as I find need replaced. I will drive and enjoy the car this summer, hope it to bring to East Coast ramble.
I know the car is a little rough so be gentle.
I am planning on installing a early 911 emergency brake system, if anybody has any parts I would appreciate it. Will put a part request in for sale section.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
r_towle
Awesome!
Enjoy the fun.
nditiz1
Nice new car! Bringing it to Carlisle?

What is the fascination with the 911 ebrake? This is the second post in the last few weeks that it was mentioned.
mate914
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Mar 7 2023, 09:53 PM) *

What is the fascination with the 911 ebrake? This is the second post in the last few weeks that it was mentioned.

This car will not be road legal in time for Carlisle.

The reason for the 911 e brake setup is for when the rear brakes have been upgraded for more braking power. Porsche moved to the inner e brake so they had free choice of caliper size.

Matt
tshih914
QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 8 2023, 03:47 AM) *

The reason for the 911 e brake setup is for when the rear brakes have been upgraded for more braking power. Porsche moved to the inner e brake so they had free choice of caliper size.

Matt

Congrats, nice find. What gearbox is the car using? Also is the shifter the updated post 1974 side-version or the older tail-shifter?
TRS63
You have a bit of work in front of you but cool project and it will be one fun car for sure !

Antoine
Cairo94507
Congratulations. That should be a blast to drive. beerchug.gif
mate914
QUOTE(tshih914 @ Mar 8 2023, 07:32 AM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 8 2023, 03:47 AM) *

Matt

Congrats, nice find. What gearbox is the car using? Also is the shifter the updated post 1974 side-version or the older tail-shifter?

Car has been converted to side shift. I do not know the gearing in the box. It is a 914 transmission.

Matt
mate914
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Mar 8 2023, 09:55 AM) *

Congratulations. That should be a blast to drive. beerchug.gif

I would have to say most likely the fastest car I’ve ever been in to date.
It literally lifts the passengers feet off the floor accelerating second and third gear. It is phenomenal.
Matt
Front yard mechanic
Nice car! Did 1970s have tits
mate914
I need help deciding on what calipers are on the back. I have an extra set for an alpha. But I think I have M calipers now I will post a picture. Can someone please help?Click to view attachment
mate914
Click to view attachment
mate914
Now the front…Click to view attachment
mate914
Click to view attachment
mate914
QUOTE(Front yard mechanic @ Mar 8 2023, 06:22 PM) *

Nice car! Did 1970s have tits

Yes, the 70s had great tits. But not the 1970 914.
Every generation has had great tits.
Matt
mate914
These are some type of Alpha calipers. Can anyone identify?
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
@mate914

I used to spend a lot of time up at Eagles Mere - and my family has been summering there off and on for over 100 years. My recollection is that the Eagles Mere Association was... strict; and if they could block or bar someone from doing something they did. Have they given you grief over restoring cars? I've been close to buying property there twice now and decided against it over concerns with my hobbies.

Zach
mate914
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 11 2023, 11:33 AM) *

@mate914

I used to spend a lot of time up at Eagles Mere - and my family has been summering there off and on for over 100 years. My recollection is that the Eagles Mere Association was... strict; and if they could block or bar someone from doing something they did. Have they given you grief over restoring cars? I've been close to buying property there twice now and decided against it over concerns with my hobbies.

Zach

Nope, in fact the town is very car friendly. Just be respectful to people walking down the middle of the road. There is a very fine car/motorcycle/old air planes museum + air port.
I am hoping to get a north east ramble up here in the mountains.. Where we can drive and not see a red light or highway all day.
Let me know if your making a trip up sometime.

Matt
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 11 2023, 11:47 AM) *

I am hoping to get a north east ramble up here in the mountains.. Where we can drive and not see a red light or highway all day.
Let me know if your making a trip up sometime.

Matt

I'd show for that. Its a beautiful area! Last time I was up was 2017. Its getting harder and harder to get the family reunions going. You pretty much need to make reservations at any of the cottages in December/January or earlier these days.

Zach
mate914
Two. Random pictures from the museum.
Matt
flyer86d
That must be a hoot to drive! Who cares about gearing with a Ss 3.2!

Charlie
mate914
QUOTE(flyer86d @ Mar 11 2023, 04:29 PM) *

That must be a hoot to drive! Who cares about gearing with a Ss 3.2!

Charlie

It is slightly more than a hoot. Purrs like a kitten at idle and screams like a mountain lion 6k… I will try recording a cold start.
Matt
mate914
Removed the cage and racing seats. Original floors are in incredible condition. Very little rust. Most cars on the East Coast have floor pans that are rusted out. Fortunately this car came out of Arizona in 1998. Still has the tabs for the carpets.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
mate914
Ultimately, I’m working on making the car inspectable. I have everything under control except for the emergency brake. I’m not 100% sure how to do it. I have read several threads on how to do it and feel confident I can do it. With the car being a high horsepower 3.2 short stroke, I think I need to keep the rear brakes as they are or even upgrade to Boxster. Right now it has the brembo aluminum from an alpha.?
Any in sight would be helpful.

Matt flag.gif
mate914
The car does have some history.Click to view attachment
TomE
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 11 2023, 10:33 AM) *

@mate914

Zach In the borough of Eagles Mere you don't even want to have grass that needs cut so no car parts laying around. In Shrewsbury TWP that borders the town you will get dirty looks but not much they can do. Matt and I drive our cars through town and up around the lake several times in the summer. Lots of waves and smiles. The two men who own the Eagles Mere Inn are also the two that own the car and air plane museum. Everyone that is anyone eats at the Eagles Mere Inn. My daughter, Matts sister is a waitress there and my next door neighbor has been their head cook for several years now. We have one red light in the entire county and that is 16 miles away so lots of nice mountain driving.

VaccaRabite
QUOTE(TomE @ Mar 13 2023, 01:37 PM) *

Zach In the borough of Eagles Mere you don't even want to have grass that needs cut so no car parts laying around. In Shrewsbury TWP that borders the town you will get dirty looks but not much they can do. Matt and I drive our cars through town and up around the lake several times in the summer. Lots of waves and smiles. The two men who own the Eagles Mere Inn are also the two that own the car and air plane museum. Everyone that is anyone eats at the Eagles Mere Inn. My daughter, Matts sister is a waitress there and my next door neighbor has been their head cook for several years now. We have one red light in the entire county and that is 16 miles away so lots of nice mountain driving.

This is what I remember. One of the cabins we used to rent got barred for 5-10 years of any rentals after they cut down two trees to have a better view of the lake. Another owner was complaining of fines they incurred while fixing water damage. As nice as it is in Eagles Mere proper, the township seems to be somewhat difficult.

But you don't have to go far down the mountain before you start seeing detached garages. I should get back in touch with Robin realty and see what's what these days. One of the dumbest things I have done was passing on a 40acre plot on the Loyalsock, but this was 2009, the market had crashed, and our first kid was just an infant. Man I wish I had just bought that land!

I've had many meals at the Eagles Mere Inn over the years, all of them were fantastic.

IPB Image

When I get the new motor in my car (sometime before Hershey) I'd be up for a longish shakedown cruise up to the Lake.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 12 2023, 06:20 PM) *

Ultimately, I’m working on making the car inspectable. I have everything under control except for the emergency brake. I’m not 100% sure how to do it. I have read several threads on how to do it and feel confident I can do it. With the car being a high horsepower 3.2 short stroke, I think I need to keep the rear brakes as they are or even upgrade to Boxster. Right now it has the brembo aluminum from an alpha.?

Matt flag.gif

HP has nothing to do with braking. Only mass and velocity. beerchug.gif
mate914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 13 2023, 03:09 PM) *

QUOTE(mate914 @ Mar 12 2023, 06:20 PM) *

Matt flag.gif

HP has nothing to do with braking. Only mass and velocity. beerchug.gif

Then it needs no more breaking power. It only needs to be inspectable, that requires an emergency brake. Looks like I will keep the Brembo aluminum’s on the back and go for early. 911 emergency brake.
Matt
gnomefabtech
I just did the 911 ebrake swap on my 73. You can buy the backing plates shoes and hardware all new. You will have to grind on your control arms a bit to get the backing plates on there but it's not very hard. Use a VW bus parking brake cable to extend your cables. You end up with something like this.

mate914
QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Mar 13 2023, 08:51 PM) *

I just did the 911 ebrake swap on my 73. You can buy the backing plates shoes and hardware all new. You will have to grind on your control arms a bit to get the backing plates on there but it's not very hard. Use a VW bus parking brake cable to extend your cables. You end up with something like this.

That looks nice. Can I please ask who you use for vendor?
Matt flag.gif
gnomefabtech
I think the hardware and shoes came from Stoddard. The backing plates were from ebay but I think they were new. You also need to add a bit to the backing plate to keep the shoes from spinning around. This was what I did here.

Click to view attachment
mb911
Awesome looking. Let me know if you need engine sheet metal. I got a fresh supply of laser cuts.
TomE
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Mar 13 2023, 12:18 PM) *

QUOTE(TomE @ Mar 13 2023, 01:37 PM) *

This is what I remember. One of the cabins we used to rent got barred for 5-10 years of any rentals after they cut down two trees to have a better view of the lake. Another owner was complaining of fines they incurred while fixing water damage. As nice as it is in Eagles Mere proper, the township seems to be somewhat difficult.

But you don't have to go far down the mountain before you start seeing detached garages. I should get back in touch with Robin realty and see what's what these days. One of the dumbest things I have done was passing on a 40acre plot on the Loyalsock, but this was 2009, the market had crashed, and our first kid was just an infant. Man I wish I had just bought that land!

I've had many meals at the Eagles Mere Inn over the years, all of them were fantastic.

IPB Image

When I get the new motor in my car (sometime before Hershey) I'd be up for a longish shakedown cruise up to the Lake.

Zach
Let us know and we will join you for part of the ride. If you are spending the night Eagles Mere Inn most likely won't be open. They have to remove asbestos siding so they are closed for March and April. Down the mountain though is the Sonestown Country Inn. Rooms are reasonable and the owner is a good guy. You should check out our garage while you are here.
mate914
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 14 2023, 07:21 AM) *

Awesome looking. Let me know if you need engine sheet metal. I got a fresh supply of laser cuts.

I already have a set from you and will be going on first thing. Thank you.
Where are you with making the gt oil lines? I could use them soonish.
Matt
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(gnomefabtech @ Mar 13 2023, 09:22 PM) *

I think the hardware and shoes came from Stoddard. The backing plates were from ebay but I think they were new. You also need to add a bit to the backing plate to keep the shoes from spinning around. This was what I did here.

Click to view attachment

The brake backing plate is not substantial enough to use for the shoe stop. It would be fine if you are just using it for a "park" brake, but if you try to use it when the car is in motion at any speed, you are going to rip the shoes off of it and tear up the backing plate. You should use a big piece of angle iron welded directly to the trailing arm.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.