Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: little engine thing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
everything is good and well with my car, just one thing

whenever i'm in the powerband in my engine (2500-5500) and i proceed to engage full throttle action, i get this wierd racheting sound coming from the engine bay....

my first worry was that the timing was way off....I adjusted it and the dwell and nothing has changed....

bd1308
icon_bump.gif
GS9146Driver
What do you mean ratcheting sound?
Geo
Mueller
i'm thinking it's his throttle cable or linkage rubbing against something (like a fuel line)

have you thought about turning the car off and pushing in the throttle to see if it makes the same sound??
bd1308
well yeah. i can floor it from idle to around 2500-3000 rpm without the sound

even in lower gears, most of the time it doesnt make the sound.

higher gears is different story...

is there a way that the weights in the dizzy could over extend themselves and bang against the case?

wait...the vac adv/retard isnt hooked up...

i dunno how detonation sounds at speed.

i thought it was a ping sound.

could the timing be way off?

timing is presently at 0deg at 3500rpm...runs great, except at full throttle.
SLITS
If you were at 0 Deg, I doubt the car would accelerate and would run like shit.....igniting the fuel/air mix in advance of TDC gives the shit time to burn....it is not an instantaneous explosion (detonation).

Since the burn time (flame front advance) is constant for a given fuel/air mix, the higher the rpm, the more advance is needed to keep from putting unburned mixture down the tailpipe.

Me thinks you should study combustion technology just a little bit more.

And detonation is not a ping ping....it is a rattle and it will destroy bearings, piston decks and heads.
mike373
I think I know what you are talking about......kind of a mechanical oscillation at certain rpms. I think mine is the shift linkage vibrating.

Mike
Allan
QUOTE (mike373 @ Aug 11 2005, 08:34 PM)
I think I know what you are talking about......kind of a mechanical oscillation at certain rpms. I think mine is the shift linkage vibrating.

Mike

I have a weird noise at certain rpm's as well and I hope it's something simple like that...
SGB
Are these cars carburated or FI? My webers went off song at certain rpms- too much slop in the (old) linkage made the left & right sides sorta fight each other- but it was more apparent for me at lower RPMs- but that was by carefully balencing at about 3200 so it moved the out-a-synch zone down lower. I replaced the linkage and had stunnning improvement. Anyway- for me it was not only a loss of power, but sounded like a UPs truck. Now if'n y'all got that fool injecting stuff- I kain't hep ya none.
newto914s
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Aug 11 2005, 07:00 PM)

timing is presently at 0deg at 3500rpm...runs great, except at full throttle.

Should be closer to 27deg at 3500 rpms with the vacuum advace pluged.
Slits is right, if it were at 0 at 3500 rpms your car should barely run.
I've always though pings and knocks sound like just that, a knock(door style, Hello) or someone tapping on the engine with a hammer, ping.
bd1308
so my car is having detonation fits when i floor it.....

its a rattling noise.

I will adjust timing tomorrow.

35 degree timing.... .013 inch point gap.

dunno why its rattling. doesnt sound good.

well until my engine explodes or i figure it out, i wont floor it anymore.
bd1308
okay i figured it out....

i need to hookup my vaccuum retard connection....

but i dont have a vac fitting on the carb base....

is there some place that i'm not looking or am i missing something....

-OR- is this time to go with a different distributor?
rhodyguy
how about i sell you a good (i know guys, relax) 009 for $25 +shipping? i'll throw in the cap and rotor. you have a less than optimum carb, might as well stay the path.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.