Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6’s
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
Did the 6s come with the rain tray ?
bossboy302
No, they did not. Wouldn't clear air filter housing.

Wow, after all the help I GET, I finally get to GIVE....
mepstein
914-6 used an air filter housing (similar to 911’s) to keep water out of the carbs.
fixer34
QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 11 2023, 04:05 PM) *

914-6 used an air filter housing (similar to 911’s) to keep water out of the carbs.

Yep, similar to this but different snorkel shape without the hose connection.
bossboy302
QUOTE(fixer34 @ Mar 11 2023, 03:10 PM) *

curious...why not the hose...was for warm air on 911s, right? Or crankcase breather?
fixer34
QUOTE(bossboy302 @ Mar 11 2023, 05:28 PM) *

QUOTE(fixer34 @ Mar 11 2023, 03:10 PM) *

curious...why not the hose...was for warm air on 911s, right? Or crankcase breather?

The -6 air housing had a crankcase breather fitting on the backside of the airfilter section. would have been too difficult to connect on a 911 (not that it's easy on the 914..)

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
Good pictures. I see the Y, the case vapor draw off is pre air filter? How difficult is replacing the filter element(s)?
RARE 6
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 12 2023, 12:58 PM) *

Good pictures. I see the Y, the case vapor draw off is pre air filter? How difficult is replacing the filter element(s)?

As much fun as you might imagine given the firewall clearance. Easier to just pull the assembly and change it.
Root_Werks
I would love a low profile rain tray for a six. My CIS gives me about an inch at the tightest part.
fixer34
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Mar 12 2023, 02:58 PM) *

Piece of cake. Unsnap the hold down clips on the carb shrouds, lift slightly so you can reach in and pull off the breather hose coming from the oil tank and take it out. Loosen 2 wing nuts holding the snorkel, twist slightly and pull off. Filter right there.
Breather is actually post air filter. There is also a small drain hose on the bottom of the filter housing that vents to the outside (you can just barely see it to the right of the Y).

Rain tray? I don't think there is even an inch from the top of the housing to the engine lid. Anything you try to put on there is going to cut airflow to the engine and cause it to overheat. The six draws a lot more air than the 4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.