Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Incredible 928 DROPS OUT OF NOWHERE!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gatornapper
Just when I thought I had all the old Porsche's I'd ever want with my '76 - 914 in Phase II of restoration and my like-new daily driver 944 S, this incredible car drops out of nowhere on me - amazing story follows pics:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

About 2 years ago, when I got the 924 Turbo running & looking like new after 17 years in storage, I decided - contrary to my original plans - to not keep it but sell it - and move up a few notches.

At a car show I fell in love with the 928, and began a serious search for one all over the eastern US. After several weeks of only finding 928's that were either way beyond my budget, or needed a lot of work (I wanted a driver), or automatic tranny - I gave up. I became convinced the 928 meeting my criteria did not exist.

I ended up with my incredible like-new 944 S that I truly love - my daily driver - and put my focus back on working on my 914 - more than enough to do.

A good friend of mine for many years who is a car & motorcycle guy like me - a semi-retired Baptist pastor with a new shop/garage - asked me to help him find a Boxster for he and his wife. He'd find them in ads, and have me do the technical research on them.

Seems like I had gone through 50 Boxsters in 2 weeks and out of the blue he sends me the ad for a 1981 928. He really liked it, and wanted me to check it out for him. I challenged him on wanting a very complex 42-year old car, but he was in love and there was no refusing him. So I began to check the car out.

The ad was unusual - far more technical detail than you ever see in a Craigslist ad. Car needed nothing, had been daily driver for 2 years. Most records on all work done by current & previous owners. Minor flaws/needs detailed explicitly, so seller appeared honest. Being an EE, I suspected the seller was an engineer.

I told my friend the car looked incredible - was he serious? Should I call the seller? He said yes.

The seller is a semi-retired EE - he and his wife together buy rare powerful German cars in good condition, take them to next level, drive & enjoy them a couple years - then sell them. We had an amazing 45 min. conversation where he answered every question I had before I could ask them. He had just dropped the price (Wash.DC area) and the car was a steal if all proved to be true about it.

I told my friend that the car was worth more than the price and he should buy it. And kiddingly said if he didn't - I might!

Next day I emailed my friend challenging the thought of his being able to maintain such an old and complex car - as that while it might not need anything now - it most certainly will if he drives it. That it and a Boxster were a long way from one another - was he sure he wanted to do this? The car is not only beyond his technical abilities - it's beyond mine!

He replied that I was correct, and that he had no business with a 42 year-old 928. He then said that the car was meant for me - and that I must buy it!

Just coincidentally, we had just sold a piece of investment real estate and had some extra cash on hand - just a bit more than the price of the 928. I had to wonder indeed if the car's appearance to me was not providential as I had really wanted one a couple years earlier.

I called the seller back and told him I was interested, but needed to see and drive the car. He immediately offered to meet me an hour away and save me the trip to DC. I got my walking Porsche encyclopedia friend Rick and we drove to meet the seller.

The car proved to be in far better condition than we imagined. All issues were minor and few. The car drove like new, smooth as silk, and handled like a dream - incredibly tight. Engine flawless - just takes 2nd crank to start if sitting for 15 min to hour....but then always starts instantly in 2nd crank. Engine bay clean & nice - meticulous wiring detals by engineer/owner. Everything works! Few cracks on dash, but not bad - has nice cover. 92,000 original miles - seems that car has been well-maintained by every owner. New leather seat covers in front. It needs nothing, all major wear items replaced in recent history. I checked out the CarFax and all was good.

Car is wrapped - but is by far the best wrap-job I've ever seen. NO ONE notices unless I tell them - owner/seller didn't realize it himself when he bought the car. If I have to, some day I'll repaint it - Indie Red which is now Guards Red.

Yes, spoiler is from a later model - and I love it!

I've put well over 1,000 miles on the car, some of it hard thrashing on twisty country roads - and the car is incredible. Doesn't use oil. Like-new tight in every way. Clutch, brakes, shocks, all as one would hope. Love the V-8 low-end torque! New Maxflow muffler - sounds like Corvette! Pulls like one!

Almost unwillingly, I've transitioned from an owner of a couple nice old Porsche's into a small-time collector/investor. Each of my 3 old P-cars is worth far more than I have in them. No - looking to add no more - I'm at my limit.

Having to convert my 20-year-old 24' x 20' tractor shed to a 2-car garage as I write, and already have grading done for driveway to it off our entrance drive. Can do this easily for a few thou. and the shed's location is perfect, about 70' from my house and main garage.

Still amazed on how this all fell together. And I am still looking for a Boxster for my friend.

GN

Gatornapper
I know a lot of people love "Phone Dials". I know they are original on the car, and period correct.

I am NOT a fan of them. I was determined to find some great wheels for my 944 S, and Rick found me the incredible chromed Cup II wheels from a 993 that make the car.

So Rick found me these wheels (pic below) for my 928 - think this car (not mine) is an '89.....I have wheels, they are being powder-coated soon.

Oh - have full sets of both 15" x 7" and 16" x 7" Phone Dials for sale.......

GN

IPB Image
Eric_Shea
Good score. Agree on the wheels. Much better now. smilie_pokal.gif
Root_Werks
Cool story!

928's are cool cars, owned one once long ago. It'd be a great Porsche to drive cross Country in.

If I had room, I'd probably own a 928, 944 (or 924S) and Westy. Gawd, don't let my wife read that!

biggrin.gif
jesse7flying
Are those cup II wheels? They look like D-90s to me. How's the offset on the wheels? 928s have weird offsets that make matching nice wheels problematic. Ask me how I know. Nice looking car BTW.
Cheers-Jesse
DRPHIL914
wow congratulations! i am a bit jealous for sure! sometimes its just meant to be!
- if you every tire of it.... let me know rolleyes.gif
rick 918-S
Never liked the Phone Dials. Well, they aren't hidious there are others that are nicer.

Drive it like you stole it! driving.gif
mb911
Gosh you should have let me know. I have a pretty darn nice s4 going for sale within the month pretty well sorted. Either way good for you
StarBear
Most excellent, dude! piratenanner.gif Congratulations.
Gatornapper
Good eye Jesse - those are indeed D-90's in the pic above - not my car but one like it with them - mine have yet to be powder-coated.

Read closely and you'll see that the Cup II's are on my 944 S.......

Correct on off-set issues too. Yes, off-set is exactly the same on new-to-me D-90's......first thing I checked.......thanks for making sure I had addressed that!

GN

IPB Image

QUOTE(jesse7flying @ Mar 15 2023, 10:48 AM) *

Are those cup II wheels? They look like D-90s to me. How's the offset on the wheels? 928s have weird offsets that make matching nice wheels problematic. Ask me how I know. Nice looking car BTW.
Cheers-Jesse
Gatornapper
I do, Rick! I do! So does my good friend RickB45 here as he is really good driver!

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 15 2023, 11:16 AM) *

Gatornapper
THANKS for all the good thoughts guys. One of my main points in the story is how I had nothing to do with finding or discovering this car. It came to me out of the blue when I wasn't looking - and frankly - I didn't want a 928 anymore. Totally happy with my 914, 944 S & Cayman S. Who needs FOUR Porsches?!?!? And I only have a 3 car garage!

If the 928 had not been in mint condition at an incredible price - I would have passed. Why? I hate bright red on a car! I've hated my 914 red and only got it because it was a steal w/low miles and well-stored in a friends new barn since 2005. I've desperately wanted to get it back to its original Malaga Red and it will finally be done soon.

I only got the 928 in red because everything else about the car was close to perfect - including the price. Everything in me screams NO! about the color! But I'm learning to ignore it. It did help that a good friend who races his 928 (black) told me that all 928's should be Guards Red.

But it drives like a new car - put over 50 miles on it this afternoon - and yes - it would be a great cross-country car for sure.

GN
Gatornapper
Ben -

I'm sure your S4 would have been outa my range price-wise. But what color is it? I think you posted a pic before.....on another thread of mine........

Prices on sweet old P-cars are climbing, so I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it.

GN

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 15 2023, 01:00 PM) *

Gosh you should have let me know. I have a pretty darn nice s4 going for sale within the month pretty well sorted. Either way good for you

rick 918-S
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 15 2023, 04:46 PM) *

I do, Rick! I do! So does my good friend RickB45 here as he is really good driver!

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 15 2023, 11:16 AM) *

Sandy and I took the Alien out on a fun run with the 928 crew in the Metro a couple years back now. Those boys were hard core! I could accelerate with them but they out braked me in the tight approches in the twisties we were running. Slowing for the entry was an issue but once in I was on rails. cheer.gif driving.gif assimilate.gif
Gatornapper
Rick -

Great description of the corners.

I'd love to see someone who is both a good driver and good writer take a well set-up 914, 944 S, and 928 and thrash each on the same set of twisties.

Then write and describe the differences in the 3 cars. All 3 handle superbly - especially for their day. But the differences? How to describe them? I love writing but way above my pay grade.

GN

PS: I have no idea how you get a 928 V-8 in a 914 , tho a friend had a Chevy 350 nicely tucked in his......

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Mar 15 2023, 04:16 PM) *

Sandy and I took the Alien out on a fun run with the 928 crew in the Metro a couple years back now. Those boys were hard core! I could accelerate with them but they out braked me in the tight approches in the twisties we were running. Slowing for the entry was an issue but once in I was on rails. cheer.gif driving.gif assimilate.gif
Gatornapper
One more side note (warning: there may be more...)......

Driving the 928 home from purchasing it, I went straight to my friend's house who found it and initially wanted it. I had to wait 15 min. for him to get home, but insisted that he see it and drive it. He refused to drive it, but asked me to take him for a ride.

Sadly I couldn't show him much of what the car could do as he lives deep in a suburban neighborhood - but he loved the car. When we got back, he insisted that I take his lovely wife for a ride with which she agreed. It was a hoot and she loved it too.

I told him that in my mind this 928 was his car. He found it. He pursued it. He fell in love with it. I didn't. I don't pursue red cars. It wasn't my deal until he backed out and insisted that it was meant for me. I told him if he ever changed his mind and wanted the car - it was his at my cost.

And I'll be real happy if he ever chooses to do that.

GN
Jett
Great car and color…
wonkipop
can still remember seeing one of those things for the first time back when i was 17 or 18.

looked like they were from another planet or the next century.

they really did drop in out of nowhere.

don't mind the egg poacher alloys. but only looked good on the 928.

fantastic find. beerchug.gif

ps. down here didn't have the bumper tits.
made em look even wilder. pure bubbles on wheels.
type2man
I read the forum but I dont think I saw the price you paid.
Gatornapper
I didn't post it. $14k.

GN

QUOTE(type2man @ Mar 15 2023, 11:02 PM) *

I read the forum but I dont think I saw the price you paid.

Gatornapper
Jett -

I see we both have the problem of losing the black on the window trim - funny how that happens - correcting mine when it gets warm.

Also putting in good antennae.........radio is modern and has hands-free phone via Bluetooth - which is nice in an old car.......both 944 S and 914 have original Blaupunkt....

GN

QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 15 2023, 08:07 PM) *

Great car and color…
Jett
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 15 2023, 09:58 PM) *

Jett -

I see we both have the problem of losing the black on the window trim - funny how that happens - correcting mine when it gets warm.

Also putting in good antennae.........radio is modern and has hands-free phone via Bluetooth - which is nice in an old car.......both 944 S and 914 have original Blaupunkt....

GN

Great car and color…

That’s great, please let me know how the trim turns out.

I installed a new stock NOS power antenna, and have the stock Bamberg head unit…. I restored two at once, if you need.
Gatornapper
Jett -

You have an OEM antennae?

GN

I installed a new stock NOS power antenna, and have the stock Bamberg head unit…. I restored two at once, if you need.

skota23
Great looking collection you've got there!

I'd love to take a serious look at a 928 eventually. idea.gif

Jett
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 16 2023, 06:32 AM) *

Jett -

GN

Yeah, my mechanic had one from the late 70’s… hard finding the right one… I’ll take some pics later today.

Here is a shot of the interior with stereo.

My friend is making the back cover that clips in… do you have yours?
mb911
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 15 2023, 02:02 PM) *

Ben -

I'm sure your S4 would have been outa my range price-wise. But what color is it? I think you posted a pic before.....on another thread of mine........

Prices on sweet old P-cars are climbing, so I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it.

GN

My car is black with tan interior. just put 11k in parts in it. will be selling for 20k ish I hope.
Jett
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 16 2023, 06:47 AM) *

Ben -

GN

My car is black with tan interior. just put 11k in parts in it. will be selling for 20k ish I hope.

I bought ours for $14K from eBay many years ago and put three times that into the interior (PO smoked everyday for 30 years in it, so had to gut it and redo in leather) and then $25K to rebuild motor, rebuild dash cluster (three times to NH), brakes, exhaust, and clean every ground on the car to make the electrical work, and finally rekeying to make the valet work after installing new ignition. We will never get money back out of this car but lots of smiles when driving.

Has original paint smile.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 16 2023, 06:52 AM) *

Ben -

GN

I bought ours for $14K from eBay many years ago and put three times that into the interior (PO smoked everyday for 30 years in it, so had to gut it and redo in leather) and then $25K to rebuild motor, rebuild dash cluster (three times to NH), brakes, exhaust, and clean every ground on the car to make the electrical work, and finally rekeying to make the valet work after installing new ignition. We will never get money back out of this car but lots of smiles when driving.

Oh I get it. Here is mine after all the work.Click to view attachment
Gatornapper
STUNNING INTERIOR! My fav color! Mine is black - it's ok but in good condition cept water got on right rear seat leather......no sunroof thankfully.

No rear carpet - one being made right now, just flat piece, black.

GN

QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 16 2023, 08:44 AM) *

Jett -

GN

Yeah, my mechanic had one from the late 70’s… hard finding the right one… I’ll take some pics later today.

Gatornapper
Ben -

WOW! Mine looks nice but not like that. But then I have little in mine......all you've done to yours I'd hope you could get $30k minimum.......

Black won't work for me. My driveway is 1/2 mile asphalt millings through neighbors property. One drive in a black car & it's covered in dust - unless it's raining.

GN

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 16 2023, 05:34 PM) *

Ben -

GN

Oh I get it. Here is mine after all the work.

Cornerlot
Picked up a 1988 S4 a few weeks ago. Lifelong Texas car, 2 owners. Needs a lot of differed maintenance but it will live again. I see the 928 as complicated as most any 1980's V8 sports car, but its the overwhelming list of potential and actual items to maintain that will frustrate the casual owner.
Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 16 2023, 04:21 PM) *

STUNNING INTERIOR! My fav color! Mine is black - it's ok but in good condition cept water got on right rear seat leather......no sunroof thankfully.

GN

Jett -

GN

Don’t forget the premium parts sources of 928srus.com and 928 international. I bought a very very nice rear carpet piece a few weeks back for $150 from Mark at 928 international.

Thanks on the compliments on my car. It is geared towards a very very nice driver and 95% of the must do maintenance done. If you know of anyone looking send them my way. I need some boat funds so this needs to go.
Gatornapper
Beautiful car, Corner.

"its the overwhelming list of potential and actual items to maintain that will frustrate the casual owner."

Know of where such a list exists? I know of some, but would love to see a list......

Thanks!

GN

QUOTE(Cornerlot @ Mar 16 2023, 11:53 PM) *

Picked up a 1988 S4 a few weeks ago. Lifelong Texas car, 2 owners. Needs a lot of differed maintenance but it will live again. I see the 928 as complicated as most any 1980's V8 sports car, but its the overwhelming list of potential and actual items to maintain that will frustrate the casual owner.

DRPHIL914
@mb911
@Gatornapper

Ben, i have listed the Maserati and am trying hard for a fast sale to get funds asap! Taking it to C& C saturday hope a sign in the window might get some attention we get 400 cars and 1,000 people and lots of people with $$ wish me luck, pray for a quick cash sale!!.

That engine compartment is awesome looks like new , your attention to detail on this was as good as anything you ever do always top notch.

I am excited to possibly get back into a second P-car!
Gator, thanks for the info will be in touch as well.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 16 2023, 07:34 PM) *

Ben -

GN

Oh I get it. Here is mine after all the work.Click to view attachment

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 16 2023, 10:44 AM) *

Jett -

GN

Wow, that interior is awesome! w00t.gif
Gatornapper
MOST COMMON 928 ISSUES & FIXES:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928...sues-fixes.html
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 17 2023, 09:43 AM) *

thats great! all that info compiled in one place! some very common issues with these and other P-cars, like the electrical and wiring , etc. not too much that cant be managed with a little help.
mb911
Don’t forget rennlist. Greg brown doesn’t post much but a super knowledgeable shop. Sean ratts in Texas is amazing and Kevin In Atlanta is awesome as well.
Gatornapper
Ben -

I checked 928 international and no one had carpet - one I had made is good job with snaps and velcro up front. Did not know about 928srus.....thanks for the lead.

A well-known member here is already on your tail re: your car. Would be great if you two link up. He knows how to reach you......

GN

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 17 2023, 05:24 AM) *

GN

Jett -

GN

Don’t forget the premium parts sources of 928srus.com and 928 international. I bought a very very nice rear carpet piece a few weeks back for $150 from Mark at 928 international.

Thanks on the compliments on my car. It is geared towards a very very nice driver and 95% of the must do maintenance done. If you know of anyone looking send them my way. I need some boat funds so this needs to go.

Cornerlot
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 17 2023, 06:24 AM) *

My rear carpet was missing, and no used ones for a Grey/Green interior to be found. LLoyd Mats makes rear carpets that pretty much match the OEM profile, and they have 25 colors available. Picked up a Lt Grey one from them. Not a 100% color match but better than nothing.
mb911
QUOTE(Cornerlot @ Mar 17 2023, 07:47 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 17 2023, 06:24 AM) *

My rear carpet was missing, and no used ones for a Grey/Green interior to be found. LLoyd Mats makes rear carpets that pretty much match the OEM profile, and they have 25 colors available. Picked up a Lt Grey one from them. Not a 100% color match but better than nothing.

That’s interesting did not know they made them.
mb911
QUOTE(Gatornapper @ Mar 17 2023, 01:51 PM) *

Ben -

I checked 928 international and no one had carpet - one I had made is good job with snaps and velcro up front. Did not know about 928srus.....thanks for the lead.

A well-known member here is already on your tail re: your car. Would be great if you two link up. He knows how to reach you......

GN

QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 17 2023, 05:24 AM) *

GN

Jett -

GN

Thanks for that. A few people have reached out. I am confident it will find its way to another 914world members garage.

Roger Tyson owns 928srus.com and is absolute wealth of knowledge. I bought 9k in parts from alone over the last few years. Great person and company
Jett
This thread motivated me to take the 928 for a cruise. Apparently the oil pan is leaking sad.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 18 2023, 12:24 PM) *

This thread motivated me to take the 928 for a cruise. Apparently the oil pan is leaking sad.gif

Another common problem. Greg brown sells an improved gasket but some remove the gasket all together and use loctite 574 or Three bond instead
porschetub
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Mar 16 2023, 05:03 AM) *

Good score. Agree on the wheels. Much better now. smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif the other thing is they make the car look like a newer model,had this type on my 944 but they came from a 964 ,seem to remember the 928 versions are a lot wider by a fair margin.
Great car this one very original and the interior is so nice ....many aren't sad.gif .
wonkipop
QUOTE(mb911 @ Mar 18 2023, 02:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Jett @ Mar 18 2023, 12:24 PM) *

Another common problem. Greg brown sells an improved gasket but some remove the gasket all together and use loctite 574 or Three bond instead

three bond.
brilliant stuff. beerchug.gif
Gatornapper
More pics today......

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Gatornapper
And with the 944 S -

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.