Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FS: 914 air conditioning system
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
44ron
Hey ya'll,

I took the non-working AC system out of the 914 I purchased several years ago. It's been doing a great job of filtering dust out of the air in my shop; it's time to see if anybody can actually use this stuff. It was installed on a 71 914 and was not charged but hooked up when I got it. I'm not sure what parts of the system are good or not. When I removed it I just cut the rubber lines but kept the fittings, condenser, compressor, bracket, vent cluster. Feel free to reach out for any questions. I am happy to ship parts.

Pricing:
$100 per trip to post office + shipping cost
ie if you want everything, it's 100 dollars plus shipping. Or if you just want the AC compressor, 100 dollars + shipping. I'm just trying to get compensated for time spent organizing the sale. Payment via paypal.

If you're local to central CA, just come and pick it up.

Aaron

44ron
Adding image of the condenser.
Literati914
I’m interested .. can you post a picture of the front of the evaporator unit? Sent you a pm Thanks.

Also, what compressor is it.. I can’t really tell but I don’t think it’s the York original(?)
44ron
QUOTE(Literati914 @ Mar 22 2023, 03:15 PM) *

I’m interested .. can you post a picture of the front of the evaporator unit? Sent you a pm Thanks.

Also, what compressor is it.. I can’t really tell but I don’t think it’s the York original(?)

Hi Doug,

Most notable defects in the evaporator are a missing knob and hole in the top of the plastic housing. It looks like some of the edges of the plastic housing are damaged and the plastic seems pretty fragile. But all the vents are there and move without breaking.

I'm not sure on the compressor, there are pretty minimal markings on it. There's a printing that says "Ester Oil Mar 01" and a PN 012-21713 which brings up a York part. The location for the ID placard is empty. I don't know much about the history of the car before I purchased it.

Any other questions, let me know.

Aaron
44ron
Remaining lower res images of the evaporator and compressor.
914rrr
Wish I needed one and was local. That's a screaming deal! Knob might be found at VW swap meets and VW websites like https://www.thesamba.com/vw/
ClayPerrine
That is definitely a York two lung compressor, also know as a boat anchor. With how old it is, it is only suitable for the scrap metal pile.

The rest of it is a DPD system. The plastic on them was fragile when new, and it has not gotten better with age.

The good part is it can be made to work with R-134a by putting a modern condenser in the housing.

You still need lines, a compressor and mount, the receiver/dryer, and a lot of patience to install it.

technicalninja
The York compressor has one GOOD application.
As it is a pure sump style compressor you can install that on a service vehicle and plumb it to a large tank to have on-board pressurized air.

It's the only compressor that really works well for pumping air...

I disagree about mounting a parallel flow condenser in the stock "in the trunk location" and converting to 134. IMO the stock location will only work properly with R12 as it does not have enough condenser air flow.

Now, mounting a parallel flow condenser in the stock location will help a R12 system work better...

I will not use the stock location for my systems. Condensers have to be exposed to frontal air flow IMO. It doesn't take a huge hole, but a 1 square foot opening will give 5280 CFM at 60 mph which is plenty.

I'm also going to stay R12 on my systems because it's legal, it works better, has significantly lower high side pressures, and it is NOT nearly as bad for the atmosphere as it's been vilified as...
What was bad was the other uses of R12 that it was used for.
Industry was responsible for 98% of the vented refrigerant.

R12 is a WONDERFUL solvent and was used accordingly...
It was used for "blowing" Styrofoam.
It was used as a propellant for hair spray and deodorant.
Dry cleaners used it extensively for oil stains on clothing.
The list goes on...
pedrok
Hi Aaron
I'm interested if hasn't been taken
What city you are?
Pedro
technicalninja
I posted a bit of misinformation....

R134 actually has a higher efficacy rating than R12.

It actually can move more heat than 12.

It takes more power to do so as the high side pressures are 30%+ higher.

So, it's actually better but takes more fuel to get there...

It drags the engine down further when it cycles on and off.

It requires substantially more airflow over substantially better condensers to work properly.

I can make R134 blow just as cold as R12 but if you do those same mods for R12 you make the system require even less power to drive.

If they changed back today, AC systems would last forever, seldom leak, and improve fuel economy across the board.

R134 was titled "environmental friendly" until the patents ran out and it's now being vilified as a "greenhouse gas".

It's "BAD" now and the critters that have always had the patents have the patents on the new crap R1234YF.

If R134 is as bad as they are now saying it is why is it still available to the general public at the grocery store?

I expect R1234YF will be EVIL in 2035ish...
ClayPerrine
Betty's 914 had an AC system on it. It was converted to R134a. It would freeze you out of the car.... after I made an improvement.

When I first converted it, I just replaced the compressor, all the hoses, the o-rings and the dryer. It worked acceptable, but was never as cold as when it ran with R-12. So the next time I had it apart, I put an 911SC condenser on the engine lid, and plumbed it in front of the front condenser. It got two high efficiency fans Then I replaced the dinky 6 inch, low efficiency fan on the front condenser with a 12 inch high efficiency fan. After that, the AC would freeze you out of the car on a 100 degree day.

This was using the stock 70s condensers. When I started designing the AC for my big six, I wanted to put the condenser in the stock location so I don't spoil the lines of the front end with a big hole. I don't like the look of the GT oil cooler intake. So I bought a modern, high efficiency condenser to put in the factory box. It will get a big 12 inch fan. am also going to add a smaller condenser on the output side of the condenser box that will be the first pass for the refrigerant. It will drop the temp some before it gets into the main condenser where it will drop further. It will also get a dropped rubber lip between the two openings in the floor pan that will span the box to help create a low pressure area behind the condenser. All of this should improve the performance of the AC system. Plus. the modern condenser is much thinner, so the box will sit lower in the trunk, improving the luggage room.

My father was an automotive AC systems designer. He was the one to suggest the modern condensers, and the improvements to the in-dash evaporator unit designed by Larry Hubby.

Your suggestion about using R-12 is all true. It is way more efficient across the board. But for the majority of people out there, we can't afford to go by a big, multi-pound container of R-12 just to do one car. And unlike you and I, they don't have the proper licensing to buy it.

technicalninja
R12 has not been available NEW across a parts counter since 2011...

Licensed folks cannot buy large cylinders anyway anymore.

It's still available (with licensing work arounds) as NOS today.

Multiple condensers is a kick ass solution! Only way to do 134 in a 914 without putting a condenser in the nose.

My hats off to you. That is an excellent solution to piss poor condenser location.

The 609 licensing is a joke. 6th graders could easily pass the licensing requirements.

Enforcing of the 609 license is also a joke...

We are doing something that there's a sticky about.

Not supposed to clutter up someone's for sale add...

An administrator type might smack us down.

I will start a proper AC thread in the garage so the admin will not get pissed!

OP good luck with sale!

I apologize for cluttering up a for sale thread...
44ron
QUOTE(44ron @ Mar 22 2023, 03:12 PM) *

Hey ya'll,

I took the non-working AC system out of the 914 I purchased several years ago. It's been doing a great job of filtering dust out of the air in my shop; it's time to see if anybody can actually use this stuff. It was installed on a 71 914 and was not charged but hooked up when I got it. I'm not sure what parts of the system are good or not. When I removed it I just cut the rubber lines but kept the fittings, condenser, compressor, bracket, vent cluster. Feel free to reach out for any questions. I am happy to ship parts.

Pricing:
ie if you want everything, it's 100 dollars plus shipping. Or if you just want the AC compressor, 100 dollars + shipping. I'm just trying to get compensated for time spent organizing the sale. Payment via paypal.

Aaron

Hey Folks,

Just a follow up to see if anyone wants to fjord the aforementioned gauntlet of horrible choices and buy this 914 AC setup. If not, I'm using the space to buy other useless junk and that means this stuff is going to the recyclers (aka the dump). There's probably about a week of time before that happens, so speak up now or forever hold your peace.

Aaron
JamesM
QUOTE(technicalninja @ Mar 23 2023, 07:33 AM) *

I posted a bit of misinformation....

R134 actually has a higher efficacy rating than R12.

It actually can move more heat than 12.

It takes more power to do so as the high side pressures are 30%+ higher.

So, it's actually better but takes more fuel to get there...

It drags the engine down further when it cycles on and off.

It requires substantially more airflow over substantially better condensers to work properly.

I can make R134 blow just as cold as R12 but if you do those same mods for R12 you make the system require even less power to drive.

If they changed back today, AC systems would last forever, seldom leak, and improve fuel economy across the board.

R134 was titled "environmental friendly" until the patents ran out and it's now being vilified as a "greenhouse gas".

It's "BAD" now and the critters that have always had the patents have the patents on the new crap R1234YF.

If R134 is as bad as they are now saying it is why is it still available to the general public at the grocery store?

I expect R1234YF will be EVIL in 2035ish...

All reasons why i dont feel at all bad about running Redtek in my Vanagon and pre-90s Porsches. That and the stuff just works better in every way.
JamesM
QUOTE(44ron @ Apr 8 2023, 11:55 PM) *

QUOTE(44ron @ Mar 22 2023, 03:12 PM) *

Hey ya'll,

Pricing:

Aaron

Hey Folks,

Just a follow up to see if anyone wants to fjord the aforementioned gauntlet of horrible choices and buy this 914 AC setup. If not, I'm using the space to buy other useless junk and that means this stuff is going to the recyclers (aka the dump). There's probably about a week of time before that happens, so speak up now or forever hold your peace.

Aaron

DM'ing you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.