Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Voltage Regulator problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ken914
I have an orig '70 /6. It has been upgraded with an SC motor that was built to 3.2 liters.

Recently the alternator seemed to only be marginally working, if I ran the headlights or let it idle for a long time it would drain the battery and the indicator light was lit at idle. All of a sudden it started to work enthusiastically! It was fine at idle, but at speed it would peg the gauge at 17 volts. The battery started boiling the water out of it! I suspect the Voltage Regulator has died...

I'm not even sure where the regulator is (I expect it is on the electrical panel in the engine compartment). My questions are
1) Is my diagnosis correct?
2) Should I just replace the regulator?
3) Where can I find the parts that I need?
4) What exact part do I need (Is it the same as the /4) ??
5) Is there anything special about replacing this or is it just a bolt out / bolt in?

I appreciate any help you can give me!!

Ken
smg914
If you are reading 17 volts at the battery with the engine running then your voltage regulartor is more than likely bad. Make sure you check as see if any acid has boiled over in the battery area. If so, get the baking soda solution out ASAP. Where the voltage regulator is depends on what year your SC engine is. In 1982 the regulator was built into the alternator/fan area. Pre 1982 they were externally mounted in the engine compartment.
ken914
smg914,

The motor is an '81. I would guess then that it would use the stock /6 voltage regulator?

Any idea where to get a new regulator??

Thanks!
smg914
I'm not positive about SC's but early 911's used a few different regulators depending on what brand alternator was used. I know there were Bosch and Motorola regulators used. Give Pelican Parts a try. If not them then try Performance Products or Mid-America.
ken914
Great!

Thanks for your help!
TJB/914
Ken,

I know where to find a NOS voltage regulator. Stoddard's had a parts table at the MWC last week. They had one on the table. I was going to buy it but learned it's for a 6-cyl. I think it was priced about $35.00 bucks. I don't think anyone bought it. Call Stoddard's parts dept. Can't remember his name. I think it was the parts mgr. guy at the MWC????

Hope that helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.