Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Erik's Build Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
B3owulf
This will be a build thread for my 914 build. The build is ongoing, I will post updates here and hopefully keep progressing! I posted most of these pictures before, just trying to put it in one spot for a continual thread.

The end goal of the build is to have a fun autocross car that is nice enough to drive for date night or cars and coffee. It will not be a concourse car or race competitively, just out to have fun.

This car was a stalled project that I purchased as a roller and a pile of parts. I purchased a set of wheels for my Cayman and the seller had a 914 in his garage. After going back and forth for a bit I finally convinced my wife to let me buy it. It came with a ton of spare parts and the first couple months with the car was mainly just figuring out what I had and what I needed.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Part of the deal was my wife got to pick the color. She picked Ravenna Green and it turned out good! I spent more than I wanted on the paint but less than I should have. It looks great from a distance, OK up close, and a PCA concourse nerd would throw me out.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Found some cool wheels online and got the windows, door handles, hood, and trunk mounted up. Unfortunately progress stopped for a while after this due to work requirements which had me away from home for a while.

IPB Image

Got a few weeks back home and scored some more parts off of ebay. Got a wrecked 911, a 914 motor, and an MFI 6 cylinder. I sold the 911 and left the MFI engine with my helper to figure out.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Got back home 6 months later and was shocked to find my 2 year old had made no progress on the build. However, I had a huge pile of -6 conversion parts from Ben and others waiting for me so its time to get after it! I will keep posting as I make progress.
mb911
Let’s see it happen and welcome back stateside
Cairo94507
Welcome home. Very nice- looking forward to watching the progress too. beerchug.gif
slowrodent
Your helper looks stumped.... Trust me.. I am very familiar with that look blink.gif
He'll likely try and bluff you for a while...
B3owulf
Made a little progress over the last couple weeks. Took on some easy stuff to get momentum again. Dug through my parts pile to find everything I needed to install the steering column, ignition, and turn signals. What made this challenging is that I was not the one who took it apart. Lots of referencing pictures and manuals and I was able to find everything though:
IPB Image
Roller had a factory wheel loosely installed with no signal or ignition
IPB Image
Had a whole pile of steering column parts
IPB Image
Found the ignition and turn signals in the tool chest of small parts.
IPB Image
Turned out good i think!
B3owulf
Also got the headlight motors, surrounds and lights installed. Watched Ian Karr's Youtube videos which were super helpful on this.

Motors were filthy but tested out good. Got them cleaned up and installed
IPB Image

Got my little dude to help sand down the headlight surrounds, still needed more than a few layers of primer to smooth everything out.

IPB Image
IPB Image

Happy with the final product:
IPB Image

Also added my new front trunk rubber, didnt get any pictures of that except the key part of adding the sticker to my tool box
IPB Image
Root_Werks
Looks like it's coming along nicely! Love the color!

I may have missed it, did you already do the six conversion? As in, oil tank ready to install etc.
B3owulf
I have not, I have the motor and the oil tank. Up next is tearing the motor down to long block to find out what it needs. I will probably start getting the oil tank in and putting together the fuel system while I wait for the engine parts
Dion
Nice steady progress. I like your sentiment: "Not a concourse car, just to have fun."
Refreshing to hear when we seem to be hooked on originality lately with the values rising.
Have fun . Oh and he looks like an honest helper!! :-)
ClayPerrine
Just an FYI.. the MFI is a good running system. But it is not newbie friendly to get setup correctly. It has a steep learning curve, and you need some specialty tools to get it setup.

And it is not cold weather friendly. Make sure you get a hand throttle to install in the chassis, as it is mandatory with MFI.

I have experience with MFI. I had it in my six conversion until I went with the monster motor.

B3owulf
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Apr 20 2023, 07:07 AM) *

Just an FYI.. the MFI is a good running system. But it is not newbie friendly to get setup correctly. It has a steep learning curve, and you need some specialty tools to get it setup.

And it is not cold weather friendly. Make sure you get a hand throttle to install in the chassis, as it is mandatory with MFI.

I have experience with MFI. I had it in my six conversion until I went with the monster motor.

Thanks, definitely a little intimidated by the MFI but I have been doing a lot of research and I’m fairly confident in my knowledge level. I am sure I will be on here asking for advice when it comes time to start though.

This whole project has been an effort to get out of my comfort zone and learn . MFI is definitely outside the comfort zone!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(B3owulf @ Apr 21 2023, 07:24 AM) *

Thanks, definitely a little intimidated by the MFI but I have been doing a lot of research and I’m fairly confident in my knowledge level. I am sure I will be on here asking for advice when it comes time to start though.

This whole project has been an effort to get out of my comfort zone and learn . MFI is definitely outside the comfort zone!

There is a Porsche manual called "Check, Measure and Adjust". Find a PDF of it and read it over and over until you have it memorized. Then print it and have it with the car when you are attempting to adjust the MFI and follow it like it was the word of God and you will be beheaded if you make even one mistake.

You will also need to find a set of the MFI protractors that are almost unobtanium these days. My set was willed to my by the late Charlie Davis. Don't get the long screwdrivers used to adjust the MFI on a 911, they won't work on a 914. You will have to have a short screwdriver and an 8mm wrench to make changes on the pump.

You will need to have a way to get air from the heat exchangers to the MFI pump for warmup, or some way to change the mixture for warm up. There are cable setups out there for just this purpose.

And one last thing, check the throttle body shafts while you have the engine apart. MFI is notorious for wearing out the shafts due to the reversion pulses caused by high overlap cams. I would suggest that you take them to a competent machine shop and have the throttle shaft bushings replaced. Otherwise you will be chasing the MFI adjustments endlessly.

ClayPerrine
Here is a link on the bird board that has all of the MFI info combined into one thread.

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911...urce-index.html

And here is a link to the Check, Measure and Adjust manual: https://pbase.com/slidevalve911rsr/911rsr_t..._docs_bosch_mfi

B3owulf
Thanks for the advice and links! I read check, measure, adjust several times now, it is what gave me confidence to stick with MFI instead of searching for a set of carbs.

I will hopefully start tearing the engine down to long block this weekend and post what I find.
FL000
The color looks great! Smart man getting buy-in and help from your wife and kids - now it is part of the family biggrin.gif
B3owulf
Got down to the long block, very encouraged by what I saw! Going to have to order some parts but definitely feel safe going forward without a full rebuild. Oil looked old but smelled and felt fine, no sparkles.

Before taking anything off I identified I will need the MFI pump drive belt, one throttle linkage, one throttle link is missing, alternator pulley and belt are missing, one TB trumpet is damaged. However all throttles move smoothly and no obvious external damage
IPB Image

Under the cam covers everything looked clean. No loose head studs or obvious valvetrain damage that I saw.
IPB Image

Distributor doesnt look terrible but I think I will proactively replace it. Last thing I want when I'm trying to figure out how to get the MFI working is old worn out ignition components causing trouble.
IPB Image

Took me a while to figure out what this thing was. Component for a sportomatic shifter. Wont need that!
IPB Image

Fuel lines are junk but the pump itself looks good. The fuel in the injectors and hard lines was still fuel, not gunk. Still planning on sending the injectors off to be cleaned.IPB Image

No signs of pulled studs. Despite being dirty everything actully looks pretty good. If you see something I missed by all means let me know!
IPB Image
914Toy
Do yourself a favor and install Clewett Engineering’s crank fire ignition system.
76-914
QUOTE(B3owulf @ Apr 21 2023, 05:24 AM) *

I like your way of thinking. Otherwise it becomes drudgery and the mind dulls. beerchug.gif
Root_Werks
15+ years ago I had pretty decent luck installing 911 engines in 914's that'd been sitting around a while. I did invest in a differential gauge. At least you could compare cylinders and listen for hissing noises out exhaust or intake.

You can also set the MFI aside for a while, have it gone through. Put on a set of carbs and see if the engine runs.

confused24.gif

I had MFI on one 914 six conversion. It was pretty neat.
brant
Might want to run a leak down
B3owulf
QUOTE(brant @ May 1 2023, 06:28 PM) *

Might want to run a leak down

Yeah I probably should do that. Hate to buy a tool for just one thing but I am sure I will need it again in the future anyway
technicalninja
Leak downs on an engine that has been sitting for 6 months are almost always inaccurate. The longer it's sat the worse the reading are.

It's fine to do it but if you have some leakage, I'd write down the numbers and not worry about them.

I've seen a cylinder that tests 60% clean up to low 90s after running it a bit.

Super bad leakage shouldn't be ignored but a cylinder at 60% wouldn't bother me if it had sat for awhile.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(technicalninja @ May 1 2023, 10:46 PM) *

Leak downs on an engine that has been sitting for 6 months are almost always inaccurate. The longer it's sat the worse the reading are.

It's fine to do it but if you have some leakage, I'd write down the numbers and not worry about them.

I've seen a cylinder that tests 60% clean up to low 90s after running it a bit.

Super bad leakage shouldn't be ignored but a cylinder at 60% wouldn't bother me if it had sat for awhile.

Absolutely correct.
I've seen 911 engines come out of long dry storage with very low compression/leak
down numbers.
Rotate the engine by hand using compressed air to blow through each cylinder.
Dont jump to adjust valves. Wait.
Take youe time. Use common sense.
I've seen very good recoveries.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.