Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ot, need a good brush,weed, grass killer
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty914
like it says, what is the best stuff you have used for all 3. from my experance some work with one or the other but not all three
bondo
Get one of these:

user posted image

I hear miles is the one to talk to. biggrin.gif
zymurgist
I buy Roundup concentrate and make it at least twice as strong as the directions say. Then I spray it from a plastic sprayer I bought from Lowe's. I have been on a personal mission to eradicate all poison ivy that I can see from my property for several years. It's an ongoing battle, but there's a lot less of it than when I started.

For non-poison ivy applications, I also have a torch on a long pipe that connects to a propane bottle. That one is a lot of fun to use (except for hauling the propane bottle around), but for poison ivy you don't want to be burning it and inhaling the stuff.

And then there's my dog. She kills grass by peeing on it, but that's kinda random and usually not where I want to get rid of the grass. wink.gif
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 12 2005, 02:39 PM)
Get one of these:

user posted image

agree.gif sheeplove.gif

diesel works gud too...

we beat our HS rivals one year 44-0 so we poured diesel in their endzone in the shape of "44-0" they had to see that all season...
Cap'n Krusty
Nothing like a good wildfire to clear large areas of vegetation ................. Make sure you comply with all local laws, however......... The Cap'n
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 12 2005, 01:50 PM)

diesel works gud too...

we beat our HS rivals one year 44-0 so we poured diesel in their endzone in the shape of "44-0" they had to see that all season...

Wayne,

If you ever get the chance to do that again, use Miracle Grow. The grass will grown in Bright Green, and the lettering can't be removed without replanting the grass. Plus, pouring diesel on someone's grass is vandalism. Fertilizing someone else's lawn is not illegal. biggrin.gif

hijacked.gif
scotty914
well i need to keep it some what friendly, no diesel
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 12 2005, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Aug 12 2005, 01:50 PM)

diesel works gud too...

Wayne,

If you ever get the chance to do that again, use Miracle Grow. The grass will grown in Bright Green, and the lettering can't be removed without replanting the grass. Plus, pouring diesel on someone's grass is vandalism. Fertilizing someone else's lawn is not illegal. biggrin.gif

hijacked.gif

laugh.gif where were you in '92?! that would have been a great idea! biggrin.gif
tdgray
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Aug 12 2005, 04:02 PM)
well i need to keep it some what friendly, no diesel

Sounds like some stealth stuff goin' on ph34r.gif
grantsfo
Ortho makes a poison ivy/oak killer that wipes out just about anything. I have plenty expereince with weeds since I live in coastal mountains in California. Its me against the weeds and this stuff put me back in control.

Carl
Actually, Roundup at the regular rate works well as long as it can be absorbed by the plant. Some leaves have a waxy cuticle on the surface that reduces the uptake so something to reduce the pH of water will help - like vinegar or phosphoric acid (be careful with that one!). How much depends on the pH of your water and the quantity of spray you're preparing.

Don't let the mixed spray sit overnight. Mix it then apply it. Don't save it.

Stressing the plants by holding back water also helps the uptake when they're sprayed with the herbicide.
Allan
Trimec.....
Aaron Cox
AGENT ORANGE

"Only You Can prevent Forests...." biggrin.gif
redshift
QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 12 2005, 03:39 PM)

smilie_pokal.gif OH MY GOD THAT ONE IS CUTE!!

I have an animal question: Hitchcock, how did they get rid of all the birds?

I HATE BIRDS! I HATE BIRDS!

I would like to kill 100 crows, without harming the environment.. (in city limits, no firearms discharge)

smile.gif

M
redshift
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Aug 12 2005, 03:57 PM)
Fertilizing someone else's lawn is not illegal. biggrin.gif

hijacked.gif

Oh, you are evil... as me.

M
Allan
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 12 2005, 02:11 PM)

I would like to kill 100 crows, without harming the environment.. (in city limits, no firearms discharge)

A chemical company I used to deal with had a product called Avitrol. It was a seed looking stuff that acted like LSD on the birds. They would freak out on it and fly into walls and things then OD....
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 12 2005, 04:11 PM)
QUOTE (bondo @ Aug 12 2005, 03:39 PM)

I hear miles is the one to talk to.  :D

smilie_pokal.gif OH MY GOD THAT ONE IS CUTE!!

I have an animal question: Hitchcock, how did they get rid of all the birds?

smile.gif

M

alka seltzer...
redshift
Doesn't work.. (www.snopes.com)

Four, and twenty blackbirds, baked in a brake cleaner explosion..

M
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (redshift @ Aug 12 2005, 04:19 PM)
Doesn't work.. (www.snopes.com)

Four, and twenty blackbirds, baked in a brake cleaner explosion..

M

I beg to differ... it works on gulls for DAMN sure!

little bastards were getting our bait, so we got their goat! smile.gif
eeyore
My favorite phrase -- 'the liquid lawnmower'

When you have a friend in the landscape business, he helps you get industrial quantities of:

A) RoundUp -- a systemic which takes a while to work, but kills the plant from the inside out
cool.gif Scythe -- a 'burn down' chemical that destroys the plant matter in a matter of hours.

Last I checked, the two can be mixed for double the VanDamme-age.

The stuff that helps RoundUp stick/get absorbed is called a surfactant. Most new models of RoundUp state "No surfactant needed", meaning it comes built in.

If you have a large area to do a backpack sprayer is worth the investment*. blowtorch.gif

Have fun.

*Backpack sprayers are also good for repeatedly getting small area. Say, once every three months, or when I need to find the jackstands under the car (this really upsets the HOA).
scottb
straight vinegar is a safe and envrionmentally sound herbicide. just messes up the ph of the plant and off they go. use it full strength.

agrichemical paper
zymurgist
I had a party at my house once where we made a lot of chicken wings. When we were done frying all the wings, I took the hot oil and dumped it on some thistles that were growing in the back yard. They sizzled and curled up and didn't grow back.
gregrobbins
Napalm: cleared out a lot of growth in 'Nam. icon8.gif
rhodyguy
i'm a big roundup fan. i use the SUPER concentrate in the backpack sprayer. i go through about a gallon every 2 years. seems exspensive until you do the math. 1 gal makes 88 gal in the backpack. tips i have found work well. the killing of the weeds may not be appearent for 2 weeks. so you only spray that which is green 1/2 month later. thinking that if it isn't brown/dead overnight is wasting product(money).

1 apply in the morning.
2. no wind.
3. don't walk on the lawn with roundup on the shoes. you'll have deadspot footprints in 2 weeks.
4. use an ortho product like "weedbegone" for dandilions and whatnot in the grass. use RU if you want lots of dead spots.
5. once you use the backpack for RU, that's all you use it for.

k
sgomes
I use this stuff ALL the time at my cabin. Next best stuff to Agent Orange.

Brush-B-Gone
Joe Bob
Round Up concentrate....use it in a hudson sprayer,,,,don't use that sprayer for anything else....

Crows, a pump pellet gun once a morning for three days...never see them again.....
scotty914
i am trying to clear some food plots for hunting reasons, so it needs to be broken down quik by nature. i have used weed and bush b gone but it is only about 50 % effective in the woods. i honestly thought about doing a controlled burn ( legally here if you call the FD to stand and watch )

who makes the scyth stuff ?, once i knock it down with posion, i can pull the rest, i just can have it coming back up in a few weeks ( which is what bush b gone does )
PatW
Dad has one of these in the backyard, and a mallard duck too. The goose would eat the weeds and the duck would eat the bugs. Makes a good watchdog too. One day a friend of mine tried to sneak into the backyard and the goose went into attack mode. Some days the goose would decide chase me into the house too. Get a hen and she'll lay some huge eggs. Don't get a a gander because they can be really mean.
r_towle
I have tried all of those chemicals, they all work a bit different...

I honestly found that a cheap tarp, staked down for a week or two does the trick...it burns everything to a crisp, then you have fertile ground tat has no harmful chemies mixed in.

Get a black tarp, no a blue one.
Or use the black weed blocking sheets that HD sells to put under a flower bed...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.