Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Bismark, North Dakota
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TimT
I had a meeting today with the owner of my company, to express my displeasure at having the rug pulled out from under me after 24 or so years of service. The meeting went very well, so well in fact that I have reinvented myself and have kind of talked myself into a promotion and a different job classification.

Ill be managing some projects we have in North Dakota, fly out Sundays, fly home midday fridays..corporate card etc.

This is of course going to put a damper on my racing/de schedule..

Any racetracks out in Bismark? or nearby?

I restart work on tuesday, I have an interview on monday with another firm just in case they make a better offer

w00t.gif
TimT
Wow this bbs has opinions on everything!!!

nothing about North Dakota?
ArtechnikA
it's cold.
Bismarck is spelled with a 'c'.
there are lots of long runways in Minot, but you can't run a car there.
i think flying in and out of Bismarck Municipal Airport in the winter will get old in a big hurry.

i couldn't find anything resembling a racetrack for hundreds of miles in any direction.
seanery
LOL, all I know is that it's cold in the winter!
redshift
QUOTE (TimT @ Aug 12 2005, 08:21 PM)
Wow this bbs has opinions on everything!!!

nothing about North Dakota?

Where is North Dakota?

smile.gif

M
Cap'n Krusty
Best thing about Bismarck, or anywhere else in ND, is I'm not there .................. The Cap'n
iamchappy
Great waterfowl hunting, the North Dakota Badlands are very cool- http://www.nps.gov/thro/ -, Teddy Roosevelt's favorite place.
good collage hockey. cars and racing? tractor pulls and pickups are a sure bet.
Mark Henry
Didn't we sink the Bismarck? smile.gif

TimT
I am moving from the madness of $150 mil NYC construction jobs to a much different scale project..

Heck I lived in the middle of the Negev for 3 years, ND should be fine for a week at a time

iamchappy
No, the British did.
Ive eaten a few.
Hawktel
North D ain't to bad. Lots of places to get lost in. I seen the badlands. Very cool.
MoveQik
I saw the movie, Fargo. That's about all I know. Good luck with the new job!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (TimT @ Aug 12 2005, 08:48 PM)
Heck I lived in the middle of the Negev for 3 years, ND should be fine for a week at a time

don't try dressing in ND like you did in Negev !
rhodyguy
it's very flat. good steaks. you will also get tired of repeat visits to o'hare, or minniapolis, or detroit. the new northwest concourse in detroit is very nice tho.

k
GWN7
There is AX in Minot, Grand Forks, Regina & Winnipeg. The sports car club has a track at Gimli. I can send you all the links when I get home.

AX in Winnipeg today, Regina tomorrow.

beerchug.gif
SLITS
Bismark.......next stop Siberia

Oh, for racing up there you need spikes in your tires burnout.gif
GWN7
Minot racing linksLinks:

Winnipeg Sports Car club (also has links for the AX there, but I'll list them separate)

AX forums & ice racing

Badlands SCCA

Minot racing linksLinks:

Need anymore info? biggrin.gif

Just ignore those posts above......winter is a magical time of year. rolleyes.gif laugh.gif beerchug.gif

P.S. there was a AX today in Winnipeg and again tomorrow.
TimT
Maybe Ill tow the 914 out and stay for a few weeks

most of my expenses are on the companies dime

GWN7
When do you start at the new site?
TimT
Ill be starting within the the next 2 weeks

At first I think I just have a meet and greet with the poepl in ND, then spend a bit more time there

Im a hands on engineer/tech guy, apparently this job is my marketing... so it a whole new ballgame for me

the engineers side of my brain doesnt allow me to BS... but I know marketers have to do this..

We will know how it works in a few weeks guess...

Katmanken
There is a legend in the Air Force about the Minot North Dakota base....

Seems no one EVER went AWOL (absent without leave... ) from the base....... blink.gif

The legend says it would take them three days to get out of sight of the base..... so no one ever tried..... biggrin.gif

Ken
lylegd
Tim,
I grew up in ND. It's a great place to be from. They have five activities there, hunting, fishing basketball and football and eating. Does the Negev have -42 degree F. nights and entire weeks where it doesn't get above minus 10 F? My 914 was buried for 4 days in a snow bank once. It started up right away but then it took 6 hours to dig a path through the snow to the parking lot exit and the shifting was really stiff. Oh, and you might want to read up on electric battery warmers, engine block heaters, remote engine starters, etc. Lyle
Dan_F
Come up to Regina sometime for an autocross. We use a 1 mile go kart road course.

Here is our site...
www.qcma.org
rhodyguy
when is the next one dan? with 2 weeks notice i can follow bruce's route. no, make that 3 weeks.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.