Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 configurator
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Optimusglen
I've been working up an interactive 3D configurator for a narrow body 914. Currently, I only have a few options loaded in, 4 or 5-lug Fuchs, body color, sail trim and vinyl, fogs or horn grills, and a few other small bits... in fact, many items are based on an older 3D model of mine, so it doesn't necessarily reflect the latest and greatest, but should be good enough to gauge the process.

This uses Keyshot as a rendering engine, and the Keyshot Viewer software is free to download and use. Keyshot renders using your CPU in "render passes", so if you have an ancient computer, it will struggle (or just flat-out refuse to try). Most machines that aren't built for rendering will look grainy at first, but as it completes passes it will get clearer and crisp.

Using your mouse (or on touch devices your finger) you can rotate the model around in 3D space and zoom in and out. Currently, the lighting environment is fixed. After you move it, the system starts over with render passes.

I'm looking for 5 people willing to try it out and give feedback on the process. I would ask that you keep the file to yourself and not share it tough.

Since the software and file are both items you'd download (and not hosted online) it's a perpetual tool that you will be able to go back to.

The Keyshot Viewer software is located here: https://www.keyshot.com/viewer/

A link to the 914 file for testing will be sent privately to the beta testers.

Click to view attachment

What I'm looking for:

I'd like to know your experience with it, if you ran into issues etc. There are a few things I already know need to be corrected, but I'd like to get a list going so I can tackle everything at once. It would also be beneficial if you could give me an idea of your computer specs, so I can better gauge performance vs hardware.

As a thank-you, each of the beta testers will get free access to future versions with errors corrected, or parts/features added. I do plan on selling access to it, something cheap like $5-10, which is why I put it in the Member Vendors section.

I would ask that you not share the files with others. There's nothing here to prevent that from happening, but it has taken a lot of time and effort to create each piece of this puzzle, paying for the software, 3D modeling, honing rendering and material development skills, etc.

Alright, so the first 5 people that reply here that you're up for it, also either post your email address or send it to me in a private message so I can get you the 914 file.

I'll also offer additional copies to my closer friends on here, just let me know you're interested.
tygaboy
I'd love to help! smilie_pokal.gif
GeorgeKopf
I'm in.

I'm trying to decide what color to paint my car and this would be a fantastic tool.

George
Optimusglen
Sounds great!

I tried to load it with all of the 914 color options, though many of the colors will need some additional tweaking on my end to really nail them.

JoeD
I'd be in if you have a spot free. IT guy and Mac user so maybe can throw some different use cases at it.
Optimusglen
QUOTE(JoeD @ Apr 7 2023, 08:03 AM) *

I'd be in if you have a spot free. IT guy and Mac user so maybe can throw some different use cases at it.

Happy to have you, I sent you a PM

For those that are trying it out, these pictures show the difference between a shot taken immediately after rotating the car, and a shot that was taken after letting the image "res-up"

The "before" images are grainy and lack some detail. Depending on your monitor and system, you even see some hatching or mesh-type texture. The "after" images will look much smoother. The time it takes depends entirely on your computer and it's hardware.

without allowing the image to "res-up"
IPB Image

after res-up
IPB Image

without allowing to res-up
IPB Image

after res-up
IPB Image
Chris914n6
If you want something kinda older, I'm still using Win7 on a Ryzen5 1600x 32gb 500GB SSD Radeon 7870.
Mid range gaming system back whenever I put it together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.