Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 123 ignition pros -cons ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jims914
Anyone have any Pros or Cons for a 123 ignition D-jet tune-4-r-v-p unit for 74 2.0 ?
rjames
The only ‘con’ is the price tag, and that’s forgotten soon after you install it- which I guess is really another ‘pro’. biggrin.gif
BeatNavy
I'd add that can be a little tricky/confusing to install and get the timing and curve dialed in. Once you get there it's rock solid.
Lockwodo
I also have a '74 2.0 and installing the 123 ignition has been a game changer. The engine starts, idles and accelerates much more smoothly. With the USB feature and cell phone app, you can set custom advance curves and see real time data. It was easy to install and the technical support from the company is good.

It is a bit pricey, but how much time do you spend now chasing down spark timing, condenser and trigger point related issues?
Optimusglen
Agreed with the others, the price is a little steep but soon forgotten after you have it in and running. I've loved every minute of mine. It's been going for about 8000 miles on the 6-cyl now.
rfinegan
I have an early one for my 2.0 DJet vac port
123/Porsche-4-R-V-IE electronic ignition
It has dip switches you select the configuration for the application
Seem to work VERY well . Drop in and go. No programming needed or special curve files.
jims914
Thanks everyone for your input.
I have been concerned about the FI trigger points ?
Looks like i am sold.
Thanks again
mgphoto
I’ve used the Bluetooth and non Bluetooth versions, modified engine use the Bluetooth to tune, stock engine non Bluetooth just pick a curve and install.
I’ve rebuilt several Bosch distributors but the 123 is a different animal, costly yes, worth it, yes.
Lockwodo
Yes, my 914 was "bucking" under acceleration. I replaced the throttle position sensor and cleaned the trigger points several times but the problem remained. Installing the 123 ignition took care of it.
gonzo54
QUOTE(Lockwodo @ Apr 4 2023, 08:10 AM) *

Yes, my 914 was "bucking" under acceleration. I replaced the throttle position sensor and cleaned the trigger points several times but the problem remained. Installing the 123 ignition took care of it.

That's interesting-I've been fooling with the TPS including a new 914 Rubber board had the trigger points out several times to clean and the bucking problem always comes back.

So how much is the 123 ignition and what is the best model for a 2056 with a mild Webcam?

Thanks-Rick
mgphoto
QUOTE(gonzo54 @ Apr 4 2023, 07:21 AM) *

That's interesting-I've been fooling with the TPS including a new 914 Rubber board had the trigger points out several times to clean and the bucking problem always comes back.

So how much is the 123 ignition and what is the best model for a 2056 with a mild Webcam?

Thanks-Rick

Low speed bucking was a problem I couldn’t get rid of, 123 solved that issue, I think it is associated with vacuum can problems.
You need a Bluetooth version for tuning.
JamesM

Thanks-Rick

Are you running d-jet?
JamesM
QUOTE(jims914 @ Apr 3 2023, 09:15 PM) *

Anyone have any Pros or Cons for a 123 ignition D-jet tune-4-r-v-p unit for 74 2.0 ?

Pros, just about everything you could think of.

Cons?
Its not free.
Im not a huge fan of the loose spade connectors for the trigger points but they work.

In my 20+ years of messing with d-jet 914s I have found stock distributors to be responsible for a very high percentage of running issues, usually the ones that are difficult to isolate. Having an electronicly controlled replacement for the mechanical advances i one of the best things you can do as far as drivability goes for a 50+ year old car.
mihai914
This thread covers a lot of questions and various engine configurations:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0group%20%20buy
gonzo54
QUOTE(JamesM @ Apr 4 2023, 09:43 AM) *

Thanks-Rick

Are you running d-jet?

Yes, Running D-Jet
jhynesrockmtn
I've got one in a 70 1.7 running Djet and a converted 6 with a high compression 2.4 six running webers. I bought one for my BB and will install it soon.
jims914
QUOTE(jhynesrockmtn @ Apr 4 2023, 02:48 PM) *

I've got one in a 70 1.7 running Djet and a converted 6 with a high compression 2.4 six running webers. I bought one for my BB and will install it soon.

Nice to hear.
jim_hoyland
The 1-2-3 is a true game changer. I’ve had great results with my 2056 and fewer issues to contend with.
smile.gif
JamesJ
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Apr 4 2023, 08:52 AM) *

Thanks-Rick

Low speed bucking was a problem I couldn’t get rid of, 123 solved that issue, I think it is associated with vacuum can problems.
You need a Bluetooth version for tuning.

Agreed. My FI car bucked like a wild bronco until I eliminated everything else as the problem. I had put a 123 in my carbureted car w/Bluetooth and it runs sooooo smooth. One will be going in my FI car. IMO the 123 is underrated. Terrific product and I'll go against the grain and say that it is not overpriced.
Porschef
I’ll throw in my .02 cause that’s all it’s worth at this point, because it’s just echoing what everyone else has said. I was really on the fence about getting in on the group buy back when they had it, IIRC it was about $500. At the last minute I said F it, I’m gonna go for it. Well it’s been the best $$ I’ve spent on the car as far as improving it’s running smile.gif .

Yes, night and day...

It really wasn’t difficult to install and dial in, I’ve got the Bluetooth unit on a 2056 w Ljet.

The old buy once, cry once adage definitely applies here beerchug.gif
nivekdodge
do we have a thread on tuning the bluetooth one? (for dummies of course) asking for a freind

Kevin
iankarr
Jake Raby taught me a simple method. First, follow the directions for installation, which will get you to a point where the car runs. Set a curve point for 8 degrees @ 1K RPM, a point for 27 degrees @ 3000 rpm and a point for 27 degrees at 5K. Load that curve into the 123 distributor. Then hook up a timing light, cap off the vac advance and rev the engine to 3K RPM. I like to aim at the notch on the flywheel. Rotate the 123 until you’re showing 27 degrees BTDC @3K and then lock the unit down. The app and dizzy are now synched and you’ve approximated a simple stock curve. Now the fun begins. Drive around and see if there are any flat spots in acceleration. Make note of the rpm’s where the power seems to dip. Add points there to fine tune the advance. You’ll probably need a little more advance a little earlier. You may also need to tweak your idle advance a bit until it runs smoothly. Of course the condition of your engine, altitude and a bunch of other factors come into play. I live at 6,000 feet and my 2056 loves 10 degrees @ 1K and 30 degrees at 3,500, with a bunch of unevenly spaced points along the way.

I gotta make a video on this.
kroelofsen
QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 28 2023, 07:21 AM) *

Jake Raby taught me a simple method. First, follow the directions for installation, which will get you to a point where the car runs. Set a curve point for 8 degrees @ 1K RPM, a point for 27 degrees @ 3000 rpm and a point for 27 degrees at 5K. Load that curve into the 123 distributor. Then hook up a timing light, cap off the vac advance and rev the engine to 3K RPM. I like to aim at the notch on the flywheel. Rotate the 123 until you’re showing 27 degrees BTDC @3K and then lock the unit down. The app and dizzy are now synched and you’ve approximated a simple stock curve. Now the fun begins. Drive around and see if there are any flat spots in acceleration. Make note of the rpm’s where the power seems to dip. Add points there to fine tune the advance. You’ll probably need a little more advance a little earlier. You may also need to tweak your idle advance a bit until it runs smoothly. Of course the condition of your engine, altitude and a bunch of other factors come into play. I live at 6,000 feet and my 2056 loves 10 degrees @ 1K and 30 degrees at 3,500, with a bunch of unevenly spaced points along the way.

Video please …. Loved your previous videos on the 914.
nivekdodge
QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 28 2023, 01:21 AM) *

Thanks Ian

Kevin
FlacaProductions
Great info - thanks, Ian
fiacra
QUOTE(iankarr @ Oct 27 2023, 10:21 PM) *

Yes, please do. I just ordered two of the bluetooth units, one for my 1.8 L-Jet and another for my 2.0 D-Jet. I'm a bit uncertain about how to tune these as well as the underlying thinking, so it was a tough decision to not just buy units that had preset curves. However, sometimes you have to push yourself to learn new things so I took the plunge. A video would be helpful.
Lockwodo
This is how I programmed the 123 centrifugal curve on my '74 2.0, and it seems to work great:

Click to view attachment

I've experimented a bit with the MAP curve to add a little vacuum advance under load, but haven't figured it out yet, so for now am just running the centrifugal curve. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who is using the MAP curve successfully.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Lockwodo @ Oct 28 2023, 09:10 PM) *

This is how I programmed the 123 centrifugal curve on my '74 2.0, and it seems to work great:

Click to view attachment

I've experimented a bit with the MAP curve to add a little vacuum advance under load, but haven't figured it out yet, so for now am just running the centrifugal curve. Would be interested in hearing from anyone who is using the MAP curve successfully.

@lockwodo
I bet it would work even better if you advanced it to about 8* at 1000. That will give you a little more bite as you are getting off idle.

Zach
Lockwodo
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Nov 1 2023, 05:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Lockwodo @ Oct 28 2023, 09:10 PM) *

Click to view attachment

@lockwodo
I bet it would work even better if you advanced it to about 8* at 1000. That will give you a little more bite as you are getting off idle.

Zach

Thanks Zach, I'll try that!

Doug
914_teener
QUOTE(nivekdodge @ Oct 27 2023, 01:11 PM) *

do we have a thread on tuning the bluetooth one? (for dummies of course) asking for a freind

Kevin

There are three different dizzy from them for basically three combo induction types.

B-tooth w/o vac advance-carbs.

B-tooth with MAP vac for L-Jet.

A switched or preset stock curve with vac advance for D-jet

For all you need to set the static timing first...so it matter which one you have.

The instructions are pretty comprehensive and the support is great in my experience. FWIW.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.