Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignition problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914beginner
Hello anyone????
Could someone give me some help with an ignition problem? I have recently rebuilt the motor on my 74 with carb conversion and am having problems getting fire. I have a total of 6 wires at the coil. 1 coil wire, 1 red, 1 green, 1 beige, and 1 green to the post on the distributor. I don't even know for sure if I have these hooked up right...could someone confirm? I have had fire at the points, but the green wire to the post on the distributor begins to smoke after tuning on the ingition switch. I have dash gauges and fuel pump. Any ideas?

Thanks...beginner
garyh
6 wires at the coil? And -all- of them the wrong color? Whoa boy, does you have problems.

Green wire goes from the coil to the dizzy.

Black/Red wire (what black wire, he asks) comes from the ignition to the coil.

Black/Purple wire goes from coil to tach.

Bill Saderwhite (???) sells color wiring diagrams for cheap. Get one.
tryan
the hot wire goes to the '+' terminal on the coil. the green and black/purple/tach wire goes to the negative post.

whatcha smokin'. i would say you burnt the points together. you might want to check that. pelican has the teener wiring diagrams.

welcome to the group w bench.
TheCabinetmaker
green wire from condenser will smoke if hooked to the positive terminal on the coil. It goes on the negative side.
914beginner
Hi guys,
Thanks for the advice. One side of the points was shorting out causing resistence in the wire and I figured out the other wires. Now if I can only get the thing timed so it will run.
Jeffs9146
Check to make sure the dist. is not 180' off!? TDC to the proper cylinder?

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.