Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Temp too High - must race
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cdmcse
Okay, My teener seems to be running too hot and I got a TSD rally to go to tomorrow. I have had the car off of jackstands for about 2 weeks now.

Last year before the rust repairs (see the link in my thread) the thing ran 180 to 200 degrees all day long with no problems sitting in traffic or on the highway.

Now the engine will idle at 180 degrees all day with no problems. After about 15mins of driving temp gets above 200 and just seems to keep climbing, unless the engine slows down to idle speeds, then it drops back down to 180. I have let it go to see how far it would go and about 230 I quit as it was still going up.

The engine is a carbed stock 1.8L with a recent rebuild. It has an external oil cooler / with an electric fan. I removed and replaced the engine during my rust repairs.

Here are the only things that changed on the engine...

1) Rebuilt both carbs (Dell 40s)
2) New plugs / wires / ditributor cap /rotor (and it was timed again)
3) Changed the oil
4) The car has a tuna can sump and when I took it off I noticed that the screen was facing down, I believe that is supposed to go in facing up so I changed it.

Everything is really clean and it seems to move the air really well. It runs pretty good with a little righness at idle. Oil pressure is 20 psi idle and 50-60 psi at rpm.

Any other suggestions? I need to cool this baby down to drive in the rally tomorrow.
ArtechnikA
remove the roll of paper towels that got left in the fan while the engine was out.
make sure your cooling air flappers got re-installed and adjusted properly.
make sure the oil thermostat in your sandwich adapter (or whatever you're using) is properly diverting oil to the external cooler.
make sure you're not running a zillion degrees spark advance.
make sure your pressure-releif valves in the case are working.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Aug 12 2005, 05:19 PM)
remove the roll of paper towels that got left in the fan while the engine was out.

make sure you're not running a zillion degrees spark advance.

One wadded up paper towel in the fan will cost you 20 degrees at speed. How do I know this? biggrin.gif

Even HALF a zillion degrees advance will impair your temps...

"Something" is not right. We just don't know what it is.

At this point. sad.gif
cdmcse
Thanks for the advice.

No Foreign Debris in the fan. Timing is set at 34 BTDC. It runs pretty good so I don't think timing is an issue. If it was running too lean or too rich, or the carbs were out of sync, would that affect cooling?

The cooling flappers are good, no thermostat, but it is in the open position (Little lever on the rod pointing up, right???)

I'm going to change the oil again and check the relief valves, maybe one is stuck or something idea.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (cdmcse @ Aug 12 2005, 08:09 PM)
Thanks for the advice.

No Foreign Debris in the fan. Timing is set at 34 BTDC. It runs pretty good so I don't think timing is an issue. If it was running too lean or too rich, or the carbs were out of sync, would that affect cooling?

The cooling flappers are good, no thermostat, but it is in the open position (Little lever on the rod pointing up, right???)

I'm going to change the oil again and check the relief valves, maybe one is stuck or something idea.gif

Mixture and Timing can effect heat....

Too lean....more heat
More Advance...more heat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.