Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS Front latch panel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
peteyd
I have this NOS front latch panel here. It is unique in that it has an extra lip on the front.

I also have an NOS from clip that I know is from a 70-71 car as it has the unique impressions from that MY.

I have checked my boneyard where I have MY 72, 73, 74. None of these cars has this front lip.

It also has five little square impressions when looking face on.

So I'm trying to determine what year this lip came on cars, and its actually function.

I'm thinking that it could have started in 1975?

Can anyone confirm this and also its function?

Thanks,

Pete

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
davep
That appears to be a very late 1976 panel without the series of holes along the bottom, and also without the holes for the bumper shock absorbers thus for Euro market. The extra lip should be for the rubber bumper cover. Part #914 502 031 12
Example of late 1976:
Click to view attachment
Earlier 1976:
Click to view attachment

BTW, it appears to have the mounting holes for the 74 and earlier bumpers as well. So definitely a Euro market panel.
rick 918-S
What are those part numbers on the tags that are stuck on the panel? Any clues with those tags? Nevermind.. Too slow to post.
914Sixer
Dave is correct 75-76 nose.
friethmiller
I believe those 5 small openings are drains for water to go from the front trunk seal slot. I think those came about after '74 some time.

Click to view attachment
wonkipop
QUOTE(davep @ Apr 6 2023, 07:09 AM) *

That appears to be a very late 1976 panel without the series of holes along the bottom, and also without the holes for the bumper shock absorbers. The extra lip should be for the rubber bumper cover. What is the part #?
Example of late 1976:
Click to view attachment
Earlier 1976:
Click to view attachment

@davep
i believe its a euro spec 75 front panel?
no shock absorbers = no holes in that location.
euro late bumpers mounted on dog bones just like earlier bumpers.
i think i can see the dog bone mounting holes on either end.
davep
Earlier thread on the front cross panel:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=198600
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(peteyd @ Apr 6 2023, 08:46 AM) *

I have this NOS front latch panel here. It is unique in that it has an extra lip on the front.

I also have an NOS from clip that I know is from a 70-71 car as it has the unique impressions from that MY.

I have checked my boneyard where I have MY 72, 73, 74. None of these cars has this front lip.

It also has five little square impressions when looking face on.

So I'm trying to determine what year this lip came on cars, and its actually function.

I'm thinking that it could have started in 1975?

Can anyone confirm this and also its function?

Thanks,

Pete

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

@peteyd
defintely a late front for 75-76,
RE function wise, for the big rubber bumper cover, i think the original covers had a lip or tab under it that would hold onto that to hold them down and into place, - its beena while since i back dated my bumpers and cut that off, along with the side tabs that also were added for late cars that held onto the side tabs uder the rubber cover and held it tighter to the body on the sides,
mb911
how can it be late but yet not have the bumper shock holes like the late but rather have the bumper bolt holes for the 70-74 bumpers?
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 6 2023, 09:54 AM) *

how can it be late but yet not have the bumper shock holes like the late but rather have the bumper bolt holes for the 70-74 bumpers?

Good catch. Interesting question. Maybe a Porsche replacement panel that was made to fit all cars after some mods to fit the particular model year. Definitely late with the extra lip to hold the big bumper covers in place. Strange….
peteyd
Ok,

thanks everyone for the responses. I think for now I will not be making that strip as most guys are backdating their bumpers. I figure if you are replacing the front latch panel, you would do that while you're in there.

Porsche P#91450203112
peteyd
QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 6 2023, 05:54 AM) *

Porsche did weird things like this all the time. A generic part that would fit all MY with a little bit of modification.

Here is a sneak preview of what is happening. I am still a ways out from having it ready, but this is what is coming down the pipeline for 914's

Pete

Click to view attachment
Steve
I have a US 75 car and it had that lip for the rubber. I remember cutting it off when I back dated to chrome bumpers.
mepstein
QUOTE(peteyd @ Apr 6 2023, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Apr 6 2023, 05:54 AM) *

Porsche did weird things like this all the time. A generic part that would fit all MY with a little bit of modification.

Here is a sneak preview of what is happening. I am still a ways out from having it ready, but this is what is coming down the pipeline for 914's

Pete

Click to view attachment

That’s awesome. So many are rusted or damaged. Pricey for m sure but look at what 914’s are selling for these days.
JeffBowlsby
Would love to see a video of how these panels are made.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 6 2023, 07:59 AM) *

Good catch. Interesting question. Maybe a Porsche replacement panel that was made to fit all cars after some mods to fit the particular model year. Definitely late with the extra lip to hold the big bumper covers in place. Strange….

I'm pretty sure the shock absorbers were US mandate only. I vaguely recall euro spec cars not having them.
idea.gif
wonkipop
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2023, 01:07 PM) *

I'm pretty sure the shock absorbers were US mandate only. I vaguely recall euro spec cars not having them.
idea.gif

see post #6.
its a euro front panel.
the big bumpers were mounted on dog bones in ROW.
same as earlier cars. you can see the dog bone mount drilled holes either side.

76-914
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Apr 6 2023, 11:18 AM) *

Would love to see a video of how these panels are made.

And I'd like to see the monstrosity CNC Mill that does the work. drooley.gif
wonkipop
i have two parts books for the 914.
a euro parts book and a USA one.
if you look at your USA parts book it has the same parts diagram images as the euro edition but does not list some of the parts numbered in the listed columns.
thats because they are euro parts. it works in reverse for the euro catalogue.
the USA parts are in the diagrams but not in the listing.

euro parts catalogue for the 75 bumpers.
the dog bones are listed. the collision pistons are not.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

the euro parts catalogue does not list the front latch panel as being different to the 74s.
gives it part # 914 502 031 12

the USA parts catalogue lists the front latch panel as 13 rather than 12.

mind you that does not explain the extra lip on the 75 and why they would list the 74 as the same as 75 for euro cars. they still had the big rubber cover that needed to hook on to the panel. confused24.gif

but there is a bit going on with those front latch panels in the parts catalogue if you compare the two different editions of the parts book.

------

there is an old german mechanic here and he has two german spec 914s that he has had in australia since the early 1980s. one of them is a mint 75. he has hardly driven it.
his pride and joy. think it is stlll left hand drive. he has another 71 he converted to rhd and used mostly. i should go and see him again. its been 20 years or maybe more since i last ran into him and his car. might be interesting to document his 75 for the interests of members. i know he is still around because he rebuilds 356 engines at his leisure in his garage at home. fantastic guy and a 914 tragic.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 6 2023, 06:22 AM) *

Dave is correct 75-76 nose.

agree.gif

Also agree, those are little weep holes.

My guess is it's just a replacement panel. Noting holes for early bumpers already drilled, but late gasket holder for 75-76 bumper, no BIG holes.
gms
Check this out
Schloßquerwand vorn
Root_Werks
QUOTE(wonkipop @ Apr 6 2023, 02:22 PM) *

idea.gif

see post #6.
its a euro front panel.

That would be an easy way to shed 30lbs, just swap from shocks to dogbones.
mepstein
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 7 2023, 12:02 PM) *

idea.gif

see post #6.
its a euro front panel.

I weighed everything a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, one bumper was 38, one was 42 and the shocks were about 9lb per pair. I’d have to re weight it all to be sure.
sixnotfour
The 75-76 lip is a nice support for fiberglass Bumpers.. REDRUM
wonkipop
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 7 2023, 10:12 AM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Apr 7 2023, 12:02 PM) *

idea.gif

see post #6.
its a euro front panel.

I weighed everything a couple years ago. If I remember correctly, one bumper was 38, one was 42 and the shocks were about 9lb per pair. I’d have to re weight it all to be sure.

sounds right. most of the weight would be in the big black rubber surround?

the interior metal part of the 75 euro bumpers has welded on brackets to take the earlier dog bone mounts.

Click to view attachment
technicalninja
I recently disassemble our 75s BBB (big black bumpers) and the weight is in the internal metal braces.
The covers themselves aren't very heavy.

The internal braces weigh twice as much as you expect them too.
Imcoz
When will the panels be for sale?
Chris sunglasses.gif
sixnotfour

idea.gif

True , but US that was the panel Porsche would sell you as far back as 1980, when I bought one ,,,,,,One size Fits All.. Kinda.. head light buckets diff.... vw supplly chain..NARP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.