Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Monsoon in AZ
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MoveQik
Ten minutes ago it was sunny and almost 100 degrees. Now this is my backyard. Glad I wasn't out for a drive in the 914. I'm not very waterproof since AA still hasn't got my seals to me!
Flat VW
Damn,

The new car is washed, packed and ready for a roadtrip, I had NO puddle jumping in mind for tonight, it is gonna stay in the garage I guess....

John headbang.gif

Flat VW
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 12 2005, 03:24 PM)
Ten minutes ago it was sunny and almost 100 degrees. Now this is my backyard. Glad I wasn't out for a drive in the 914. I'm not very waterproof since AA still hasn't got my seals to me!

Seals or not, there is no such thing as a waterproof 914, water resistant is the best one could possibly hope for and even that I would have to see to believe.

John
MoveQik
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Aug 12 2005, 04:44 PM)
Seals or not, there is no such thing as a waterproof 914, water resistant is the best one could possibly hope for and even that I would have to see to believe.

John

My 914 stays pretty dry about 330 days out of the year here in Scottsdale!
a.munoz3
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 12 2005, 07:05 PM)
QUOTE (Flat VW @ Aug 12 2005, 04:44 PM)

John

My 914 stays pretty dry about 330 days out of the year here in Scottsdale!

yep right on cool_shades.gif
MoveQik
Andrew, I don't know where in the Valley you are but man we got pounded with rain up here this afternoon.
gregrobbins
Bone dry in Glendale, west side of the valley for the out of staters. Barbecued outdoors, enjoyed a beautiful sunset.

Flat VW, I dare you to show a picture of your new car biggrin.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (gregrobbins @ Aug 12 2005, 10:02 PM)
Bone dry in Glendale, west side of the valley for the out of staters. Barbecued outdoors, enjoyed a beautiful sunset.

Flat VW, I dare you to show a picture of your new car biggrin.gif

Hell Greg....let's see some more pics of the new car in your avatar! Or let's go for a drive. driving.gif
jasons
QUOTE (MW 914 @ Aug 12 2005, 08:49 PM)
Andrew, I don't know where in the Valley you are but man we got pounded with rain up here this afternoon.

I'll concur... I was on Cactus at 4:30. Between the 101 and Scottsdale Rd, Cactus was pretty much a river. Right after 64th St. it was dry.

PatW
Drove through Prescott once in August during a monsoon storm. Drove a Miata into a wall of water on just outside of town. I thought I was going to die.
Mr.C
I can remember sitting in the Phoenix airport watching a monsoon move across the valley through those big windows. That was one crazy picture!
snflupigus
I was downtown at the BankONE building on the 18th floor a few days ago when the rains came in... The north and west corner of the building... could see the rain come in and start falling on camelback while the west was nice...

but being from the midwest... i still call them thunderstorms smile.gif Monsoon... hahahaha... When I moved here last year and people said monsoon season, i was like, SHIT! - those must be wicked storms.. i've yet to see anything near what people talked them up to be.
MoveQik
QUOTE (snflupigus @ Aug 13 2005, 02:53 PM)
I was downtown at the BankONE building on the 18th floor a few days ago when the rains came in... The north and west corner of the building... could see the rain come in and start falling on camelback while the west was nice...

but being from the midwest... i still call them thunderstorms smile.gif Monsoon... hahahaha... When I moved here last year and people said monsoon season, i was like, SHIT! - those must be wicked storms.. i've yet to see anything near what people talked them up to be.

They call them monsoons because they are similar to the Asian monsoon storms in that they are storms that originate from a completely different area compared to where we usually get our weather from. All year long we get our weather from the West. Except this time of year, it comes up from the Gulf. Hence, all the extra moisture. When you dump a couple of inces of rain several times in one week in an area that typically only gets 8" a year...you get to see some pretty good flash floods. Especially up here near my part of town.

Of course you can't compare our monsoons to weather that other parts of the country receives. However, going from sunny skies to 50+ mph winds and 2+ inches of rain in an hour is pretty cool to watch....not sure how much more you want?? biggrin.gif
MoveQik
Besides...this IS our extreme weather. THAT is why we live here!! Perfect all year with a little heat and rain in the summer. beerchug.gif
76porsche914
you should have seen the shea and cactus intersection two weeks ago lol
MoveQik
QUOTE (76porsche914 @ Aug 13 2005, 04:52 PM)
you should have seen the shea and cactus intersection two weeks ago lol

I would LOVE to see the Shea and Cactus intersection??? biggrin.gif

I live in that area...BETWEEN Shea and Cactus off of 96th street.
snflupigus
I was relating "Monsoon Season" in my head with "Tornado Season" and "Huricane Season." ohmy.gif

So I guess I just assumed that with monsoon season came some sort of terrible storms that blew roofs off, destroyed trailer parks and wiped out entire towns. biggrin.gif

I was here for the beginning of the year when we got something like 9 inches of rain in the first 2-3 weeks of the year. I live down here in SOUTH Chandler, off Ocotillo and Mcqueen. About 3 miles south of the south loop of the 202 and a few miles east of hwy 87... arizona ave, country club... whatever you call it. Well the streets down here are only 2 lanes.. one each way and they are OLD so they all washed away and I used to have to go about 5 miles an hour for the first 2 miles to get away from my house... Other than that, rain is fine... Suprisingly i miss the cold weather though... I own so many pairs of jeans and fleeces and sweaters and coats from living in IA/NE- but never get to wear them now wacko.gif LOL
jasons
QUOTE (snflupigus @ Aug 13 2005, 05:09 PM)
I was relating "Monsoon Season" in my head with "Tornado Season" and "Huricane Season." ohmy.gif

So I guess I just assumed that with monsoon season came some sort of terrible storms that blew roofs off, destroyed trailer parks and wiped out entire towns. biggrin.gif

Stuff like that does happen. In fact 2 people died last week when they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. About 10 years ago, the Salt River demolished one of the Mill Avenue bridges while it was under construction.

Did you see the guy that tried to cross a wash in his H2 a while back? He got a helicopter ride and rescue for like 5 people. Every year some DA loses his truck to a wash.
MoveQik
QUOTE (snflupigus @ Aug 13 2005, 05:09 PM)

Oh hell no! I wouldn't even know what a tornado was unless I heard about one hitting some other state.

Ours are pretty good storms....and they do tend to aim for the trailer parks. So I guess in that way they are like tornados. biggrin.gif
Mr.C
A little off topic but, MMMMMMMM have any of you guys ever eaten at Carlos Obriens Mexican Restaurant? They just smother their food in cheese. Can you tell I haven't eaten breakfast?
snflupigus
Heard of it... not been there yet.

Funny how those things do are attracted to trailers. LOL
jandro62
I was riding into Tuscon on my motorcycle when the "monsoon" hit. The flooded out roads mean business. Watching a lightning storm out there in the middle of nowhere is one of the most awesome sights nature has to offer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.