Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 JWest Headlight Relay Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cdn914
Has anyone installed a JWest Headlight Relay Kit (designed for early 911s) on a factory 914-6?
cdn914
Update: I have completed the installation. I discovered that the 914-6 uses the same colour of wires as the early 911s, I.e., the wires to the fuse box from the column switch are white and yellow and attach to fuses 2 & 4. I removed these from the fuse box and connected them to the white and yellow wires connected to the headlight relay kit. I then connected the corresponding wire from the relay (either the blue or green wire) to the fuse box where the white and yellow wires originally were located. I grounded the brown wire to a bolt under the dash. I connected the red wire from the two relays to fuse 11 on the fuse box which itself is wired directly to the positive battery post. The only additional work was soldering the ends to the wires - three female, two male and one loop and mounting the relay kit under the dash. I did have to extend the blue and green wires from the relay kit because of where I mounted the relay kit. I tried it and it worked perfectly.
Cairo94507
Very cool; nice job. beerchug.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(cdn914 @ Apr 13 2023, 08:45 AM) *

Has anyone installed a JWest Headlight Relay Kit (designed for early 911s) on a factory 914-6?

Whats the benefit of these ?,thinking reduced load on light switch and an improvement in lighting with stock size lamps ? ,we are 60/55 W for H4 ,anymore you would fail inspection here.
TIA,cheers
anderssj
Excellent! I've been thinking of doing something similar...

This looks like the proverbial "school solution."

Thanks for posting this!
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 27 2023, 06:58 PM) *

Whats the benefit of these ?,thinking reduced load on light switch and an improvement in lighting with stock size lamps ? ,we are 60/55 W for H4 ,anymore you would fail inspection here.
TIA,cheers

The factory early 911/914-6 turn signal switch is almost unobtainable these days, and very expensive if you do find one. All of the headlight bulb load flows through it. So adding relays will increase the life of said turn signal switch.

Just an FYI, it is normally recommended to mount the relays as close to the headlights as you can. I installed them on my big six long before LED bulbs were available, and was able to run high powered halogen bulbs with on ill effects.
cdn914
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 27 2023, 03:58 PM) *

TIA,cheers

Consistent with Clay’s response, the benefit for the factory six is the same as for the 911s and 912s of the time period. I am surprised it took me so long to recognize the need and benefit of this upgrade considering I have owned the car for more than 35 years.
brant
Also agree with Clay
Made my own relays in the front trunk when we ran 100watt bulbs in the days before LEDs.

Now my alternator can keep up with leds
altitude411
QUOTE(cdn914 @ Apr 28 2023, 09:42 AM) *

I am surprised it took me so long to recognize the need and benefit of this upgrade considering I have owned the car for more than 35 years.

dry.gif You have had a six in Canada for thirty five years? The only work you must have left is to lift it in the bin? blink.gif

Click to view attachment

* Seriously though it looks nice in your avatar...please post some pic for those of us that haven't seen it. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(porschetub @ Apr 27 2023, 04:58 PM) *

TIA,cheers

Stock 914s don't have relays for the bulbs ...
shades.gif

cdn914
* Seriously though it looks nice in your avatar...please post some pic for those of us that haven't seen it. beerchug.gif
[/quote]

Click to view attachment
altitude411
It's beautiful. What are you running for the wheel (steering)and hub?
cdn914
Nardi period correct leather steering wheel with Nardi hub. I prefer the thicker wheel over the stock leather wheel.
anderssj
I wonder how this relay kit would play with the West fog light flasher module? idea.gif

And yes, that's a gorgeous car--gotta love the color!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.