Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension setup recommendations daily driver / rough roads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
skota23
Hi folks,

Now that I have my car running well it’s time to start making it handle how I want and would like some advice. It’s a 74 2.0

Here’s what it has now,
Front sway bar (factory)
Stock torsion bars
Struts, not sure but the car came with a used set of konis (rebuilding konis an option?)

Rear
Kyb’s these I’m thinking about replacing with bilstiens with adjustable spring perches
140# springs, I’m thinking 100# to replace them

Tires are old 205/60/15’s that I’m planning on replacing with 185/70 vredestein

I’d like to raise the car up a bit for ground clearance and comfort but not compromise handling too much.

I’d appreciate anyone’s thoughts.

Thank you,
Steve
r_towle
Taller tires helps with rough roads.
Stock torsion bars and stock anti sway bar, leave those stock
Front and rear, adjustable koni shocks and struts.

KYB shocks are “kill your back” so start there
JamesM
Getting rid of those KYBs for a set of Bilsteins (or Konis) will change your world, especially if they are the white KYBs (gas-a-just).

Beyond that there is no softer setup than stock for rough roads.

My autox car with 180lb rear springs and solid bushings has a better ride than a stock car with white KYBs... they are unquestionably the worst thing you can do to the ride quality of a 914, so start there and then deicide where you want to go.

Given you are pulling the rear shocks anyways and looking to go soft, 100lb springs would be fine with everything else being stock in the front. I think AA even has 90lb which are even closer to (but still stiffer than) stock

Replacing the 50+ year old rubber control arm bushings will go a long way to improve ride quality as well.

Height wise, it already looks like you are pretty high for a 914. You could probably raise the front a little to get rid of the forward rake but wait until after you replace the rear shock/spring setup as the height will change.
Garland
QUOTE(skota23 @ Apr 13 2023, 08:12 PM) *

Now that I have my car running well it’s time to start making it handle how I want it to 74 2.0
Replying to Suspension setup recommendations daily driver / rough roads

Front sway bar (factory)
Stock torsion bars
springs, I’m thinking 100#
Tires 185/70 vredestein

I’d like to raise the car up a bit for ground clearance and comfort but not compromise handling too much.

You would be Surprised at how well, the car handles at its proper alignment, height & geometry, and factory dampening.
Boge shocks, factory rated springs. I’ve found for street driving they’re very good. Maybe
A bit short life in the rears. With only slightly larger tires.
TrailerParkBoy
I’m in the Pacific North West so not sure road qualify as “rough”. Through 20 plus years of restoration I bounced, rattled skidded, scraped and banged my way around town. Last week I completed the last step of the resto… I pulled out the ancient front boges and rear back killers (kyb’s). Front is now stock torsion, stock sway bar and bilstein. Rear is weltmeister 100lb springs, stock rear bar and bilsteins. Alignment toe out both front and rear about a 1/16th.

IT IS A VERY DIFFERENT VEHICLE. AMAZING CHANGE. NIGHT AND DAY.

I don’t recognize the car. It is now everything everyone has said about updating suspension.

After 20 years it’s time to do a proper road trip.

Pic shows size difference 50 years makes. Who needs all that safety stuff huh?

Cheers,
mepstein
KYB are a lot worse that you would expect them to be. It’s been that way forever. I had a set, back in the day.
The best riding air cooled Porsche I’ve ever driven had Koni’s front and back. That’s what I’m putting on my ‘67. I have Bil’s on my 914’s.
rhodyguy
If it’s a either/or money wise, I would go with the KYBs, stock torsion bars and 100# springs, rebush the lot and get a referral for a first rate corner bal and alignment. Jumping in and dropping a K+ on only premium inserts/shocks leaves quite a bit undone. Too much tightening up can make for a terrible riding 914 on the street. Even freeways.
TrailerParkBoy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 16 2023, 12:57 PM) *

If it’s a either/or money wise, I would go with the KYBs, stock torsion bars and 100# springs, rebush the lot and get a referral for a first rate corner bal and alignment. Jumping in and dropping a K+ on only premium inserts/shocks leaves quite a bit undone. Too much tightening up can make for a terrible riding 914 on the street. Even freeways.

Agree fully on the rubber. Back a decade or more we changed all of the rubber. Next drive was a notable step up in handling. One step at a time always best. Cheers.
wonkipop
@skota23

the tyres are half the trick to softening out the ride.
the 185/70 Vreds ought to be pretty good.

previous to my recommission i had been running 195 goodrich (back in the 1990s and early 2000s) and still had the original boges which were quite soft shocks.
i hated the goodrich tyres. really detested them. lower profile than original but it was all you could get back then.

with recommission i have been right through suspension.
nothing fancy. bushings the lot. running bilsteins maybe the fanciest bit.
and running michelin XAS 165 tyres.
skinny, but guess what. way sticker than the goodrich i once had on (Even when they were new). whatever the repro tyres are made from is not anything like original compound. way softer. suspect Vreds are similar.

the tyres are great. they really do suck up any jarring and harshness.
but hang on like crazy. the bilsteins are definitely a lot firmer than the original boges which i have a very good memory off from when i first got the car in the late 80s.

i still have the original rear springs, which i am pretty sure are the softest the factory fitted as it has a rear factory sway bar. i think the rear sway bar allowed for the softer springs.

its all pretty good. goes around corners like it never has.
and rides beautifully. the front feels especially tight and is much better with the bills.
the adjustable perches on the rear billsteins let you get the ride height just right compared to the old boges which had a fixed perch. you can really set the car up.
i have mine set dead level front to back. and relatively high compared to most folks.
but not with the stock nose up bum down look. biggrin.gif just dead level.
r_towle
Bilsteins are too stiff.
Adjustable konis allow you to change the stiffness to meet your desire.
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 16 2023, 05:11 PM) *
Adjustable konis allow you to change the stiffness to meet your desire.

agree.gif
mepstein
Even though Bil’s are the common go-to shock and insert, I really think they are better for a heavier car. I’m not saying that people don’t love them, my business partner feels like they are the best affordable shock out there. I just think they are a bit stiff and harsh on our cars. I did make my Bil equipped car feel a bit better by reducing the tire pressure a bit. I assume the suggested pressure is more for a 3000lb car than 2K.
wonkipop
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 16 2023, 07:13 PM) *

Even though Bil’s are the common go-to shock and insert, I really think they are better for a heavier car. I’m not saying that people don’t love them, my business partner feels like they are the best affordable shock out there. I just think they are a bit stiff and harsh on our cars. I did make my Bil equipped car feel a bit better by reducing the tire pressure a bit. I assume the suggested pressure is more for a 3000lb car than 2K.

don't forget i am running tall boy 165 XAS.

the billy boys are not too hard in that scenario.

if i had still had those pos b f goodrich rubber bands on it the billies would be horrible.

i also have soft rear springs.

far as i am concerned i seemed to have fluked a real nice combo, but i only have a 1.8,
but it sure points into corners and it feels fantastic. the best bit is the steering is super light and feels magnificent with the billy and XAS combo. ok - its stepping back in time, but not really because whatever the XAS are made of its not 1960s stuff.

but if you really wanted to stiffen it up then you would go for the konis.
for sure. because you can back em right off.

i do think mine is now way better that it ever was with the boges.
which i did experience when they were still relatively functional.
mlindner
Like everyone said, keep original torsion bars and sway bars. I installed Koni' all around with the rear having adjustable ride height from Ground Control. Also have 180 lb spring on my 6 GT, but you should stay with 100 or so. Have fun Steve. I'm up in Merrimac WI. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
skota23
Great advise from everyone and THANK YOU! beerchug.gif

Vreds and Konis ordered and I'll report back.

In the meantime, I installed a temporary seal fix for the rattly roof and needed to test it out. weather strip

It was also the first time I tried the heater out and the car got to see a little snow. These heaters work great!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.