Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil top cork gasket
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
StarBear
Finally getting around to replacing the original cork gasket under the oil filler neck.
Does it go on plain or with a light coat of oil like the oil filter and strainer?
blink.gif
Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
Always did mine dry.

Zach
StarBear
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Apr 14 2023, 05:28 PM) *

Always did mine dry.

Zach

Ok; thanks, Zach. See you soon!
StarBear
Questions, as haven’t done this before:
1. How to remove that big metal clip holding the neck on - use two thumbs or two levers like screwdrivers? smile.gif
2. I presume risk of 50-year old cork crumbles falling into oil reservoir? How best to prevent? beer.gif
Thanks!
L-Jet914
QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 16 2023, 02:16 PM) *

1. How to remove that big metal clip holding the neck on - use two thumbs or two levers like screwdrivers? smile.gif
2. I presume risk of 50-year old cork crumbles falling into oil reservoir? How best to prevent? beer.gif
Thanks!

I just used a flat head screw driver to pop the retainer. Lifted straight up off the oil tower. Gasket slid right off for the most part. You could use a single edge razor blade to break the adhesion to the tower then remove the gasket if it's stuck on there.
steuspeed
QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 16 2023, 01:16 PM) *

Thanks!

It will be flat and baked to the top filler.
StarBear
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Apr 16 2023, 09:31 PM) *

QUOTE(StarBear @ Apr 16 2023, 01:16 PM) *

Thanks!

It will be flat and baked to the top filler.

Yep it was. Removed easily with spackling knife and in one piece. Done! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.